American University of Sharjah (AUS) campus American University of Sharjah (AUS) campus

International Exchange Programs at Sharjah, UAE

Study Abroad at AUS

What an amazing experience. I was so thrilled to be a part of it and count myself lucky to have met such amazing people and experienced such a unique culture. I will look back on the 5 months I spent at AUS for years to coming and remember not only in fondness of the memories, but in the way it informed me and changed me as a person. Please go. You won't regret it.

A Unique Experience

Studying abroad at the American University of Sharjah is a truly unique experience. Because the Emirates is a melting pot, you not only get to learn about Emirati culture, but also other Arab, African, and European cultures. Sharjah provides many displays of traditional culture while Dubai offers many of the luxuries of the West. This is a unique blend that can't be found elsewhere!

Highlight of my university experience!

My time at the American University of Sharjah was incredible. I was welcomed by so many people and integrated into their friendship circles immediately. One aspect I loved was that my friends were so close to their families - so when we went out I met parents, siblings, cousins, everyone! I found it a little difficult to settle into such a different culture but there was so much support and it was definitely worth it! I studied Economics and was really impressed with the quality of teaching. We were pushed hard and I became a much better student. The UAE is a great place to be if you want to travel to nearby countries. I spent the 10 day study break in Turkey. I survived easily without speaking Arabic but it would have been really useful to speak a little bit. I would definitely recommend the program to other students!

Adventures

I love the University and the people there. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming! I made some lifetime friends and learned a lot about the culture too! I love traveling so UAE was a great place to be. Since it is close to other countries, and I was able to travel to Turkey, Kuwait, and India while I was there! I love the place!

Best Opportunity I've Had

I am so grateful for the opportunity to have gone to study at the American University of Sharjah. The administration in charge of international students did a wonderful job of helping us experience the Middle East to the fullest with culture immersion and trips, all the while helping us make our own plans. If we didn't have the travel bug beforehand, we all do now, for they've opened the world to us and have shown us what a great place Sharjah, Dubai, the UAE, and the Middle East is.

An experience unlike anywhere else in the world

Sharjah is a half hour drive from Dubai, but it has its own charms and excitement. Bargain in the marketplace, go see a camel race, and dance in the desert.

Middle East meets the West

The people at the university, staff and students, were incredibly nice and welcoming. I had an incredible time studying there in the spring (the weather isn't as hot then too). There is much to see and do. If you are interested in cultural experiences, the best way to experience them are becoming friends with students. Shopping is world class and the nightlife as well (the drinking age is 21). Whatever kind of experience you are looking for, you can find it! The only downside I would have to say of the program for girls is that they are a little more strict with curfew in the dorms. I'd highly recommend getting a non-American/Western roommate. I was so lucky to get a Syrian roommate who became a great friend and was able to show me UAE from an Arab's view. Great program and great place. I plan to go back to visit next year :)