American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in Salzburg: Summer

Best Summer of My Life!

Salzburg was an amazing city! I wish I had chosen to study for a full semester or year! We took many weekend trips, and had activities to participate in every week. I wish there had been more classes to choose from. The one I took was easy, and we took many field trips. So glad I decided to go with AIFS!

Best Experience Of My Life

I will never forget my time studying abroad in Salzburg with AIFS. I was able to meet people from all over the US who became some of my closest friends as well as from all over Europe because I lived in the international dorm. I learned so much about Austrian culture from my classes and excursions, and the staff made me feel right at home!

Some of my favorite excursions with the program were:
-eating at the oldest restaurant in Europe
-taking a sleigh ride through the Alps
-going to Hallstatt and to the ice caves for a day
-weekend in Vienna

While there I was also able to volunteer in some English classes at a local high school, meet a wonderful Austrian family through babysitting and tutoring, and enjoy Austrian cuisine and sights. Even just sitting on the bank of the Salzach in the most beautiful city in the world with my friends for hours was amazing. My semester in Salzburg with AIFS was the best 4 months of my life- I've even gone back several times since to see the city and catch up with Ingrid and Nicole. I would recommend this program to anyone!

Summer in Salzburg

I can't begin to describe how amazing Austria was. Salzburg is such a beautiful city and AIFS helped us integrate while allowing us to be independent. Nicole, our program advisor, was always available and more than willing to help and our travel guide, Andreas, was informative and ensured every tour was fun. We lived about 20 minutes (by foot) from the university in a hostel on the new side of the city. Our living arrangements were perfect for a summer abroad: I met lots of other international (a few local) students and AIFS did a wonderful job matching roommates.
I wanted to study abroad to experience living abroad and improve my German language skills. The 201 class I took was small and interactive with a great teacher; however, I wish the classes would have been conducted more in German. It was very easy to get by speaking English in Salzburg, but if you start speaking German to locals, they typically are more than willing to let you practice German.
Overall, I slightly improved my speaking skills, but gained so much more in experience than I could have ever imagined. I can't recommend studying abroad with AIFS enough!