American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in Salamanca: Semester or Year

Best Summer of My Life

AIFS Salamanca, Spain was the best experience of my life. I was only there for 6 weeks during the summer, but these 6 weeks changed my life. Salamanca is a small college town filled with students from all over the world. From the very moment we arrived in Salamanca the city and its people, our home stays, and our program directors were so welcoming. We all felt right at home and never had any problems. My home stay experience was what made my time in Salamanca so amazing. AIFS did a great job organizing and coordinating a tremendous amount of things to do for us and went out of their way to make us feel at home and to provide us with anything that we needed. There is something going on every single night in Salamanca so there is never an opportunity to be bored.

The teachers are so nice and understanding that it actually makes you want to go to class. They are all willing to go out of their way to make sure that you understand what is going on and that you do not fall behind. They are so cool and actually want to form a relationship with you rather than just being there for the sole purpose of teaching spanish. They understand that the students are there to have a good time and to actually enjoy Spain so they make sure that school and the work that comes along with it do not take over your life.

I could not have been more pleased with my living situation. I did a home stay which I was very nervous about because prior to the trip I did not speak any Spanish. It was a little difficult at first because I could not communicate with my home stay mom, but after about 2 weeks I was fine. She cooked us the most amazing food and was so welcoming from the very moment that we arrived. My home stay mom by the end of the 6 weeks I was in Salamanca felt like a second mom to me and will always be a big part of my life. My home stay experience is what made my time in Spain so great and is where a lot of my memories were formed.

Salamanca is a college town so there were tons of people our age there. In the summer time there was something to do every single night. We met tons of people from around the world that quickly became our best friends. Salamanca is a very friendly city where it is easy to pick up on Spanish very quickly. It is a little bit of a culture shock at first because no one there speaks any English, but everyone there is patient and does their best to help you out.

The program directors were AMAZING. They were so cool and went out of their way to be there for us during our time in Spain. They had activities planned for us every single day of the week so that we always had something to do. By the end of the trip it seemed as if the directors were actually our friends rather than the people who were in charge of us.

Best decision I ever made!

The experience of a lifetime! I cannot express enough how much studying in Salamanca has shaped me as a person since then. I think about it often, and my only regret is not being able to stay longer! Highly reccommend this program.

By far, the best experience of my life

Salamanca is a fantastic place to study abroad. It isn't an overwhelming city - it's small, friendly, and very welcoming. The professors at the university are very passionate and eager to teach and the University itself is one of the oldest in Europe. AIFS did a fantastic job immersing me into the culture. My homestay family was sweet, warm, and all around great people. The cultural advisors also kept us busy with tons of things to do around the city and opportunities to fall in love with city. At the end of my stay, Salamanca felt very much like home and I don't think I would have appreciated the city nearly as much if I studied with a different program

La Vida es Mejor en Salamaca

Time goes by way too fast. I had no idea how much I would grow to love the city of Salamanca and everything about it. My life changed in five short months and I am happy it did. AIFS was amazing to me. Because of AIFS I was able to experience other cultures and travel to many different places. I am also now bilingual. They took care of me while I was there and turned a city thousands of miles away from home to my new home. Leaving Salamanca and leaving my AIFS advisors was one of the hardest things I had to do because they made it such a great experience.
When I went there I knew no one. By the time I left we were one big family. Going through AIFS to study abroad was one of the best choices I have ever made in my life.

I loved all of my classes and found them very beneficial. My professors were always available to help and also took us out for tapas!

My homestay was in a great location and my family was so sweet to me. They told me I was a part of the family before I left!

AIFS took us out on tours of the city, for tapas tours, wine tastings, flamenco shows and museum tours. They introduced us to Spanish students so that we could fully be emerged in the culture.

The office was a central hangout for us. We would always stop by and loved to be with our advisors. They were there for us no matter what and were extremely helpful.

Social Life:
For students the weekends start Thursday nights. There are always places to go every night and there are good deals at bars on weeknights.

Amazing Program. Amazing Experience.

There are many study abroad programs out there and I'm sure most are good. However, AIFS is more than good...it's absolutely amazing! From the application process, to the arrival in Spain, to the excursions that are set up for you to living the Spanish life - all remarkable. But what made it ever more special was having program directors who cared about their jobs and the students who participated in the program!

Carmen was absolutely wonderful and took me in as if I were her own child. She was comforting, a great cook, someone who was interested in my life and what I did in America and genuinely a wonderful person who opened her arms and home to me. She was my mom away from mom and made sure I was studying but, more importantly, made it a point to ensure I was absorbing as much of the Spanish life as I could.

Gaye & Julia from AIFS were absolutely wonderful from the initial pick up at Barrajas Airport to the farewell party in Salamanca. Two amazing women who were extremely friendly and who approached their jobs with great enthusiam and professionalism. More importantly, they always were available to talk - about life, about Salamanca, about anything you wanted to talk about. Good people and would trust my kids (if I had any) with them!

Living in Salamanca, Spain, I never once felt threatened nor did I ever fear for my safety.

Social Life:
Social life in Spain is outstanding. Never a dull moment!