American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in London: Semester or Year

Experience of a lifetime

I would like to start off with saying that this program did more than change my outlook of traveling. AIFS was extremely helpful throughout the whole process, whether it was dealing with basic travel questions or pieces of advice for being away from home; the program did an amazing job with being there for the students every step of the way! I think my experience abroad really opened my eyes to new cultures and backgrounds as I met people that changed my life for the better. Studying abroad with this program gave me a different perspective on life, and I couldn't have had the same experience without the amazing staff of AIFS!

Come to Old London Town!

I am someone who loves their home school, we are a school filled with so much pride and I am very involvement at my university SO going abroad I was nervous that I would spend the whole semester feeling like I was missing out. That is not the case at all!! I am having the time of my life here! I have been able to travel to 6 different countries and so many different cities which has been amazing, but I love that my home base is London. It is not possible to see all of London and I love that, I never feel like I am lazy when I am staying in the city because there is so much for me to see here and explore--I can only hope I will have seen a fraction of what the city has to offer! The staff here is so amazing too! They care sooo sooo much about all of us and love us no matter what shenanigans we get into! They also help us explore the city by letting us know different things that are going on! I have loved my semester here! I have learned so much about myself and the the world and I recommend that every studies abroad, but specifically doing this program!!

Best term of my educational career!

The AIFS London study abroad program was one of the best experiences of my life! Richmond Uni really does have some of the most incredible professors and fascinating courses. Standards were high and I appreciated that. The location was absolutely phenomenal. Kensington is located in the heart of London and absolutely the best! Not only was my experience incredibly educational, academically and culturally, I also made some of the most amazing friends and had way too much fun. The London scene is just perfect- day and night. I loved my experience at Richmond Uni so much, so I decided to go back post grad to earn my MBA! My year in London working on my Masters is the only experience that tops my time studying abroad- simply because I had more of it!

Absolutely amazing!

Everything about this program was fantastic, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to study in London. The Kensington campus is unbeatable as far as location, putting you within minutes of all of the nearest attractions and areas you would want to visit. The staff both in the US and in London were extremely helpful, and they were wonderful in helping with culture shock and getting your bearings once abroad. AIFS also offers a variety of weekend trips through the school with transportation and lodging taken care of for you, which are a great resource and a great way to meet new people and get to know people better in the program. The classwork is also a reasonable amount to maintain good grades and still experience the city. Wish I could go a second time!

The advisers were helpful, and most of all caring.

As someone who never traveled outside of the country, the AIFS program was a great way for me to gain experience traveling and immersing myself in another culture.

Actually gaining entrance into the iTunes festival in Camden. Meeting my boyfriend and future best friend. Going to all the literary spots around London and the surrounding English cities. These are all my memorable experiences I gained!

I chose this program because I love London (and England). From their fashion to their music, to their literature, it was the natural choice for me.

An Experience that Changed My Life

My study abroad experience was incredible. Both the AIFS and Richmond's staff were incredibly helpful, accommodating, and always had a desire to make my time the best it could be. The academics were challenging and integrated well into my daily life. Living in Kensington was an absolute dream - the area is beautiful, the shopping and dining are awesome, and the neighbors/people are lovely. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Internship

I did an internship through AIFS. It was the best decision. I didn't have a problem finding an internship back home because it gave my resume an edge.
The only thing I really have to complain about are the academics. For every class you have to write a 3,000 essay. The professor I had was rather dull so I had a hard time sitting through a 3 hour class after a full days of work.
If you can study abroad, I recommend it! It was the best semester I've ever had, and I didn't want to come back home!!

Small & diverse class in a large & diverse city.

I chose the AIFS program for several reasons. First was the city. London has always been a favorite city of mine and the opportunity to be there over a long period was ideal. Second was academics. Class sizes were small, with good professors which made for engaging classroom dynamics. Finally, the school itself is considered an international university. This aspect made for an extremely diverse student body which opened doors to many cultural activities that I may not have been exposed to otherwise. The only drawback was living accommodations. This dorm I was placed in was not ideal, but I was there at the wrong time. One of the dorms was going through a remodel which led to crowded dorms with few choices for those who were there short term. Despite this, the program was worth a few months in a poor dorm.

DO IT

Honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I know others who studied in London through other organizations and I definitely think AIFS was heads and shoulders above all of them. They provided just the right amount of supervision while simultaneously pushing us out of our comfort zones. Providing some meals was helpful, while at the same time pushed us to go out and explore the amazing city, which was awesome. The administration was amazing, especially Anderson and Tracy, they really make you feel at home and like one of their friends. You are in the best, safest area in pretty much all of London, yet is still one of the easiest places to get around from. I would recommend this program to everyone and anyone.

More than a statistic.

"Adaptation is a profound process. It means you figure how to thrive"
AIFS gave me more than I could have ever imagined and helped me adapt in ways I never thought I would know how to. I gained a new sense of independence and wonder; along with the bravery one needs to feel confident in traveling alone. I would not have gained this qualities without the amazing office staff who became family, along with the life long supportive friends I made here in London.
The people here in AIFS care about your well being. If they hear you cough, they ask if you are okay. If they see you posting about home, they ask how you are doing and if you are homesick. If they see you staying up late for homework, they ask how that assignment went days later. They always and only have the students best interest at heart. You aren't just a number with this program, you are a part of a huge family. This program adapted me to the woman I have always wanted to be, someone who is confident, brave and adventurous. I could not thank this program enough for the memories and only hope that someone else gets to experience the greatness that is AIFS.

Life in London

I fell in love with the city during my research about it on the net. I'd like to take my chances in finding great opportunities in the city. I had a great time going to the theatre and museums, visiting the Buckingham Palace. It was an educational but exciting adventure for me.

I love London, but not the food.

I loved London so much. I am looking into working there after I graduate next spring that is how much I loved it. The program was great simply because they really help you acclimate to the city. You're so overwhelmed initially and it's great to have them help you through those first few weeks.

Best Location Ever!

This program was absolutely AMAZING! I could not have asked for a better program. The living conditions could have been better but the location made up for it. There is not a better place to live in than in Kensington. Kensington is the "Beverly Hills" of London and the program housed us right in the center, next to mansions! The school was fantastic and I loved all my classes. Great program overall!

The location in Kensington was PERFECT! I loved being only a minute walk from Hyde Park and going there every morning for a walk. It was also only a few minutes walk to High St Kensington which had everything I needed. By far, best location ever! However, the living conditions, especially the bathrooms, could have been better. The rooms were fine and I really appreciated having the sink in the room, however, my only complaint would be the dirtiness of the halls and bathrooms. I felt like the cleaning staff put forth a minimal effort in maintaining clean facilities daily. The bathrooms were often out of toilet paper and soap and there would be the same spill on the stairs for days.

So Worth It

Living in England was great, it's a fast paced city and the local public are very welcoming. Transportation is easy and adjusting to the culture is very simple. AIFS is very accommodating and tries to make your experience more than awesome.

Some professors don't realize that studying abroad is such a huge deal and they assign even more work than my home school. They are all very knowledgable but often times they come off as condescending. You could learn a lot from what they have to teach you.

The housing arrangements for Atlantic House needed to be a bit more updated because compared to Ambassador House, it seemed older and not as clean.

The study abroad directors were some of the best people I have ever had to work with as far as schooling went. They are all very nice and they try to do anything to make your experience live changing.