American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in Limerick: Semester or Year

The best time in a beautiful place

Studying abroad with AIFS at the University of Limerick was an absolutely incredible experience. On the logistics side, AIFS took care of my housing, meal plan, flight, and all of the other administrative details that had the potential to overwhelm me before I even left the country. They also offered a huge amount of support before, during, and after my semester abroad. The University of Limerick is a really amazing campus - it's located about a 15 minute bus ride outside of the city and right along the River Shannon, so it's a convenient and beautiful location. They offer a wide range of academic options, so I was able to take classes within my major and general education classes like Irish Folklore and Irish Music that let me learn more about Irish culture. Ireland is a beautiful country with so much culture, and AIFS really made it possible to explore that. They provided excursions to Dublin, the Aran Islands, and day trips to the Hunt Museum, Blarney Castle, and Killarney. It was easy to explore the country and really feel integrated with the Irish culture. I highly recommend any program in Ireland, but I especially loved the less tourist-y feel of Limerick. I really felt like I was part of the city life, not just a visiting tourist. It was the best experience of my life and I'm already looking to go back!

Lindsay in Limerick

Limerick was a beautiful city, just small enough to not scare a suburban girl like me away but big enough to get me out of my comfort zone. There were castle ruins everywhere, and everywhere includes behind my apartment. I was lucky enough to be placed next to my friends in a spacious apartment looking out over the River Shannon. My favorite part of the trip were the CIS planned excursions. Without the stress of booking anything, I could thoroughly enjoy not only arriving at the destination but the journey to get there. John, our onsite coordinator, was so knowledgeable of all of the history, cultures, and fun folklore that Ireland provided. Unfortunately, I got very sick at the end of the semester and ended up in the hospital. Thankfully, I had John, who made sure I was ok, contacted my parents, and visited me at my apartment frequently, bearing gifts and groceries. I always felt like I had someone looking out for me with CIS there. I would recommend CIS for anyone who wants to travel smart, inexpensive (scholarships!!!), and explore the ins and outs of a new area. I would recommend the semester in Limerick program for anyone who wants an American feel to a university, the benefits of a city without the intensity, and great classes. I was lucky enough to take two literature courses while studying there that counted towards my major credits at my home university. I also took a journalism class, something that is not offered at my college, allowing me to get a different perspective of communications. The structure of classes makes so much sense, with large lectures and small tutorials. The campus has a great social life and it extends out into the city, which is a short 10 minute bus ride away.

Semester Abroad in Limerick Ireland

My semester at Limerick has been one of the most transformational experiences of my life. I went with an incredible program (AIFS) which helped me make the most of my time in Ireland. It was great that I spent a full semester because it allowed me to get involved with the school's rowing club and equestrian club which meant that I could become further connected to my Irish peers. A semester also gave me more time to travel around the country and see some other European countries. Limerick was an excellent choice for me-there is a strong international presence (they have hundreds of exchange students each semester from all over the world), a large selection of classes (ranging from equine studies to Irish), and a multitude of ways to become involved. I absolutely recommend this program (or any other one offered by AIFS) for anyone considering going abroad. AIFS was instrumental in setting up excursions to the Aran Islands and Dublin as well as cultural activities such as seeing the Flying Boat Museum and experiences a proper Irish breakfast. This program is an amazing one and I cannot say enough great things about my time abroad.