American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in Grenoble, Language & Culture: Semester

A perfect semester with AIFS in Grenoble

I absolutely loved my semester abroad in Grenoble with AIFS. Why did I choose this program? Well, I wanted to immerse myself as much as possible in French language and culture. I didn't want to be in a city too touristy, with people that might try to "help" me and only speak English to me. I also wanted to live with a host family so the south of France was not a perfect fit for me. So Grenoble it was! And it was amazing. The city is the perfect size, not too big, not too small, with a huge student population. There are tons of things to do on the weekends, after classes and amazing places to grab lunch and dinner.

I LOVED my host family. They granted me a lot of freedom while making me feel part of the family at the same time. They invited me skiing, to family functions outside of the city, and little things like watching movies with them. School was amazing, I actually enjoyed going. Having classes with students from Greece, Italy, China, Taiwan was one of the coolest experiences ever and the professors were super helpful and supportive. The city is pretty easy to navigate (I have a weird love for its tram system) and has many means of transportation like the tram, bikes available to rent, buses and trains.

AIFS was amazingly helpful to me as I transitioned to living with a French family and throughout the entire semester. The resident director, Miranda, is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. Whenever I got sick, she offered to come with me to the doctor's appointment she set up for me. She was available via call, text or in person whenever I needed someone to talk to about homesickness, family troubles, or even just what we learned in class. She also always let us know when there was an event or a trip going on so we can take part.

The excursions AIFS provided were awesome! The program sent us to Paris and Provence, paying for transportation, most meals, lodging, and even gave us some spending money! Our program also had an orientation in London, England, so the group could all get to know each other before arriving in France. Personally, I get quite anxious when it comes to planning flights like where to fly in to, what time, where to fly out of, etc. So AIFS's flight package was like a dream come true. They took care of everything, even when I missed my flight back to the States.

There is not one day that goes by that I do not think of an experience I had abroad. And although I had my difficulties, I would not change a thing about my semester abroad. I would 100% recommend this program who truly want to immerse themselves in French language (at any level!) and culture and who wants an amazing support system before, during and even after their time abroad.

The Best Semester of my Life

My semester that i spent in Grenoble, France was the best semester I have had so far. I have never had more fun, met more amazing people, and learned so much academically and personally. From the moment I arrived in France I was comfortable. Our program director Miranda went above and beyond, making sure that everything went smoothly and without unnecessary road bumps.

My host family was amazing. They instantly welcomed me into their family. The food was amazing, every meal was new and different. I still think fondly about wednesday night pasta night. So good. The initial awkwardness of living in someone else's home faded after the first night after playing board games with my host brother. My host family was instrumental in my stay in France. I always new that I had somewhere that I could go home to and people that really cared about me and wanted to help me in whatever way they could. I miss them immensely now being back in the United States and cannot wait until I can go back and visit them. I know that I will be in contact with them for the rest of my life.

I love Grenoble as a city. I come from a small town in northern NH and had never lived in a city and was a little nervous before leaving about living in a city. It was amazing. From the public transport system to the culture and activities, I was never bored. I could get anywhere I wanted on the tram and the bus system and there was a plethora of things to do. There was free museum weekend, a wine tasting festival, movies, cafes, shopping. Literally, anything I could dream about doing I could do it in Grenoble. Not to mention the city's location. Nestled in the Alps, the city is surrounded by mountains. It's gorgeous. I hiked the Bastille multiple times and its beauty never got old. It was one of the first things that I took my mother to do when she visited me.

I really enjoyed my time as a student at University of Grenoble Stendhal. It was really an incredible experience to be taught by professors of a different culture. It is definitely different than the US, professors do not have office hours and are not as readily available to you as much as they are in the US but I learned an amazing amount by merely letting myself experience something new. Learning went outside the classroom, even ordering a crepe at lunch became a lesson. My professor for my language classes was incredible and I still listen to my playlist of classes that I accumulated from him classes. He made learning french fun. He included popular films that were always very french and a tad bit bizarre, classic french songs that we got to sing in language lab, and his personality just made learning that much more fun. I really enjoyed my semester at the University of Grenoble and can say that my french definitely improved by leaps and bounds.

I would most definitely recommend this program to a friend. Anyone who is interested in studying abroad in France should consider AIFS Grenoble because it will be an experience that will change your life in so many ways. You meet people you will never forget and forge relationships that will last a lifetime.

The perfect experience

AIFS helps you every step of the way; from the beginning until the end. They are very helpful and the living situations in host families are perfectly tailored to each student’s personality. Classroom sizes were small and the academics had very valuable information. I’m very happy that I decided to study abroad with AIFS.

Great Grenoble

The program is well organized and sets up a great environment for the students. The host families are well matched to the students. I loved staying with my host family. Cultural events are set up to look into French culture and have a good time in the local area. We also visited other cities and felt like we got to know a lot of France.