American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in Granada: Summer

Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

I had a wonderful experience with AIFS! From beginning to end (and beyond), everyone was very helpful and gracious. They took care of most of the logistics -- the visa, plane ticket, housing, food, insurance, classes, and even cultural field trips, and all of it was included in the price. The resident directors were always available to answer any question, and they planned many activities to show us the city and country -- immersing us in as much culture as they could. However, they were not too overbearing; they treated us like adults and let us be as independent as we wanted.

I was able to finish my Spanish major in Spain, and so I knew quite a bit of Spanish coming in. The classes I took were excellent because they taught me things I had always wished I would learn, without knowing what it was, exactly, such as idioms and ways to say the same thing in a fancier way to sound less "gringo." I also took a Spanish culture class, and we would often learn something in that class, and then go see it in real life in the city.

One of my favorite parts was exploring the city with my friends after school. Some days we would go to the movies, some days we would go to museums, some days we would just walk around. Almost every day we would go to a tapa restaurant, because in Granada, the tapa is free with the purchase of a drink, even a non-alcoholic one. We also enjoyed getting gelato, too.

It was an amazing six weeks and worth every penny and more. I have grown personally and academically and these are memories I will cherish my whole life.

Cultural Emersion

I've been abroad several times for vacation but complete emersion in a country where I barely speak the language is very different. I'm learning so much more about culture in my homestay! The administration and directors make Spanish in another country easy.