American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in Berlin: Summer

A Journey of Self-Discovery

I was pretty afraid to go. Excited, but nervous deep down. When I finally arrived and started immersing myself in what the city had to offer I started feeling more confident in myself. Berlin is a vibrant city; there's always something going on, whatever you're interested in. I spent a lot of time in the museums and the parks by myself. Spending so much time by myself I started to become more independent which ended up being a highlight of my trip.

Doing this with AIFS made the whole trip so much easier. They are with you every step of the way leading up to departure and during the whole trip. I really liked AIFS's Berlin program because of how the meals work. We were given a card, like a debit card, in which you could withdraw cash to pay for food or for whatever you needed to buy. If you were wise with your spending, there was hardly any reason you had to take out of pocket.
If you're looking for a program in a cultured city with classes in urban planning, economics, or German history (among others) this program is the best. I highly recommend studying abroad with AIFS no matter where you want to go!

Turns out, I have a second home.

This program changed my life. There is no denying that. It was a four week program ini the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August of 2014. My class was called "Land in the City, Green in the City," and it explored all the innovative ways that Berlin incorporates plants, trees, and other greenery into the city. We spent maybe one day a week in the classroom, with the rest being excursions to the various roof top gardens, large parks in the city, installations of greenery on walls in various buildings (and on the sides of various buildings), and the use of forestry and landscaping in the city. In addition to the class we had a trip planned for every weekend except for one, but my director was able to help me plan a much needed trip to the beach. We went to Dresden, Potsdam, and to Prague in the Czech Republic. Overall, it is a trip that I will never forget (I still dream about the food), and as it turns out: I feel like I have a second home now, and I want to get back there as soon as I can.