American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image American Institute For Foreign Study Header Image

AIFS Study Abroad in Berlin: January Term

Life-Altering Experience

This was the first of two study abroad programs I did with AIFS and the fact I live in Berlin now is a direct result of my experience during this program. I lived in a home-stay arrangement that was just far enough from school to allow me to walk and experience the city every morning without taking a long time. I know this wasn't the case for all of the students, but finding suitable home-stay lodgings is difficult enough in and of itself. There were several opportunities for us to participate in group gatherings at museums, do tours around the city, a trip to Dresden was included, and a trip to Prague was optional for an additional cost. Overall, the trip helped to immerse me in another culture in a way completely different than a short vacation can. Our program coordinator was extremely helpful and kind and had to put up with a lot of difficulties students were having trying to adapt etc, and yet she still did an outstanding job.