OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Study Abroad with American College of Thessaloniki

Awesome experience!

Overall my experience in Thessaloniki was awesome! My dad was really worried about me going because of Greece's economic struggles, but honestly, it's mostly centered in Athens, so going to Thessaloniki was totally fine (actually, great for Americans because the dollar-conversion works in our favor! haha). I always felt very safe. There were so many awesome trips to go on (climbing Mt Olympus, traveling to the beaches, learning how to scuba dive and sail a boat!) it was crazy. I really miss it and I'm already planning my trip back. :)

The classes weren't necessarily the most challenging, but it was kind of what you made of it. If you wanted to study harder, you could, but if you slacked off, you could probably B.S. your way to a decent grade. It was great that the credits transferred to my host university easily though- other study abroad programs I looked into before I picked this track had issues with credits transferring.

It was my first time going abroad and I had heard horror stories from friends going to other places that dorms abroad sucked. Compared to my freshmen year dorms in America, the dorms here were like suites! The showers were really small, but I had my own private room which was nice. The food wasn't the best on campus, but it didn't matter because there were so many other places to eat off campus easily enough.

I felt like the study abroad program had a lot of ways to really get to know both the traditional aspects of Greek culture and the more modern aspects of pop-culture. It was easy to get to awesome destinations like Mt. Olympus or go out clubbing. I always felt safe and it was easy enough to make friends on campus and go out together.

Everyone was really helpful, the introductory orientation was so thorough, it was a bit boring, but I felt like I knew all that I needed to know about what the school offered (trips, restaurants, clubs, activities, events, safety, etc etc) that I could personalize my study abroad and make the most of my time in Greece.

One Life Experience

ACT's study abroad program offers a rich classroom experience combined with opportunities to visit local archeological and historical sites, climb Mt. Olympus, attend outdoor concerts and festivals, and sail the Thermaikos Bay and Homer's wine dark sea beyond. Courses span a broad range of topics and disciplines aiming to meet the needs and interests of American college students wanting to fulfill electives or major requirements at their home school or discover Greek culture, history and language.

Students are introduced to life in Thessaloniki through a two-day orientation program. Housing accommodations include comfortable studio apartments (with private baths and kitchenettes) located in the center of Thessaloniki, steps away from everything. Thessaloniki is extremely safe and hospitable. Numerous cultural events, exceptional and varied cuisine, exciting nightlife, outstanding museums, and astonishing examples of Roman and Byzantine architecture and history will keep you engaged.

One Life Experience

For the student seeking a unique study abroad site in Greece, the American College of Thessaloniki is ideal. Thessaloniki is the ‘road less taken’, a culturally intact city, small, diverse, youthful, at the crossroads of east and west and the gateway to Southeastern Europe.

Greek Cultural Immersion
With a student body comprised of 50% Greeks and international students from approximately 30 countries as well as a plethora of community outreach opportunities, visiting students find a valuable cultural immersion experience at ACT.

U.S. Accredited
ACT is the only NEASC-accredited academic institution in Northern Greece.

Vibrant Student Life
ACT is a warm, welcoming and active community that offers students the chance to explore and develop through a wide range of workshops, clubs, field trips and volunteer opportunities.

Cultural & Historical Exploration
Students visit the birthplace of Alexander the Great, Orthodox Monasteries dating from 12th Century, the beautiful beaches of Halkidiki and of course the enchanting city of Thessaloniki!

Strong Support Services
The Internation Programs Office has staff dedicated to assist students with all needs. Pre-departure, staff in the ACT Boston office are there to answer questions and provide students with the support they need. Once students arrive in Greece, staff orients them with the campus and life in Thessaloniki and provides information on co-curricular opportunities and ways to engage with Greece outside of the classroom. ACT even provides an on-site doctor in the event of health issues.

View detailed rating

I had a good experience at NUin

It was fun

View detailed rating

once in a lifetime chance

All my life, I wanted to live in Greece, and I got that opportunity to travel abroad for 3 months to Thessaloniki. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I love the city, and the school is fantastic. The professors at ACT are more than willing to help you out whether it comes to extra tutoring, or help outside the classroom. With the economic struggles in Greece, any parent would be worried about sending their kids, but in Thessaloniki, you would have no idea there were problems going on in the country. All the locals are more than helpful and very welcoming to the students studying abroad. The food is fantastic, and some of the best in all of Greece. There is also always something to do, whether you're shopping around downtown in Aristotle square, climbing the white tower and learning about it's history, or even taking a bus trip to any of the beaches around. Thessaloniki is an beautiful and an incredible place to visit, and I highly recommend it.

A Very Fun Experience

Studying here was a pretty fun experience. The classes were too easy, though. The people are nice and ACT always has fun trips to go on and a lot of extra activities to participate in.