New Zealand: Christchurch
Length of Position
Tasks and Duties - Painters and decorators may do some or all of the following:
* Discuss requirements with customers and/or builders
* Calculate materials required for a job
* Quote a price for work
* Select and buy materials
* Erect scaffolding under 5 metres high (scaffolding over this height must be put up by a registered scaffolder)
* Remove old paint and wallpaper
prepare surfaces for painting by filling holes, cracks and joins, and cleaning surfaces of dust and dirt
* Mix and match paint colours using tinter (a pigment similar to dye)
ensure furniture is protected with a cover or drop sheet
* Apply paint and varnishes
* Cut and hang wallpaper, vinyl and backing paper
* Apply decorative paint finishes such as glazing, graining, marbling and lettering
* Wash equipment and clean work areas.
Job opportunities are expected to increase in 2012 and 2013 because:
the number of houses being built has not kept up with population growth, creating a housing shortfall. This will create a building boom in the next few years.
Trades workers, including painters and decorators, are needed to help with building repair and reconstruction work in Canterbury after the September 2010 and 2011 earthquakes.
- Trade qualified painter decorators or with a minimum 5 years + experience, you will have -
- knowledge of paints and wall coverings
- skill in different painting and decorating techniques
- an understanding of how to prepare work surfaces
- knowledge of health and safety precautions
- knowledge of how to use and care for equipment
- good communication skills, to be able to find out what their clients want
- planning and organisational skills
- basic maths skills for calculating decorating costs
- problem-solving skills.
Painters and decorators need to be:
- quick and accurate
- neat and tidy in their work
- reliable, honest and responsible
- able to work as part of a team.
- Painters and decorators also need to have a good eye for colour, and creative flair is an advantage.
* Physical Requirements
Painters and decorators need to have good eyesight (with or without corrective lenses) and normal colour vision.
It also helps if they are reasonably fit and have a strong back and knees, as their work involves a lot of bending and standing. They also have to move items such as furniture and scaffolding. The work is energetic and there is plenty of if so you'll need to be able to keep up with a kiwi!
Painters and decorators often work on scaffolding, so a good head for heights is important.
Please contact us for more information
American, Asian, Australian, Canadian, European, South African and Worldwide Participants.
AAI is a team of New Zealanders with a combined experience of more than 30 years living, working and helping people settle and work in the New Zealand and the UK. We specialize in the recruitment of skilled migrants for shortages in the labor market. AAI provides a full range of Relocation and Employment services.