Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Wildlife Photography & Conservation, Antelope Park

Greatest experience ever

My experience at Antelope Park has been amazing. I loved that as a Photography volunteer I got the chance to do every activity that is offered, like walking with lions, being with the elephants, going to the community, etc. Everything about my stay here was amazing and I wouldnt change a thing.

Anders' experience

The time of my life. I don't have any words to describe it but I'll try. The people are fantastic and all the things I got to learn over the 4 weeks i spent at Antelope park, I will remember forever. I love the fact that i woke up in the morning to the sound of lions roaring in the distance, and being surrounded by friends from all over the world. The jobs we did during the day, wasn't always that fun, but being with so many amazing people, both staff and other volunteers, made it fun. Like cleaning poop and rotten meat out off the lion enclosures. Being able to take a walk with lions and elephants, seems so bizarre now that I'm home, but that is what we did. Everyday! Can't wrap my head around the last 4 weeks and all the amazing stuff I got to be a part of. This was not the last you guys have seen of me...I'll be back!

My time as a photography volunteer

Coming back to Africa, I didn't know what to expect this time. I had been to other countries, but never Zimbabwe. As soon as I arrived at camp, I was greeted by smiling faces of other volunteers and staff. Everyone was friendly. The next few days we had long days of inductions for the lions, elephants and horses. During that time, I was doubting my time here. Once I got into my program, I felt better. The photography program was good because we got to do a variety of activities -- game drives, research drives, carriage rides, horse safari, shooting the stars, lion walks, cub portraits, and more. After a few bumps in the road with planning, we were well on our way with the program. Through creativity workshops, we went over the importance of composition, color, black and white, among other things. Being able to be so close to these animals made for amazing photographs. And of course showing off our work to other volunteers and staff at the end was a highlight! For anyone who loves photography, this is definitely a good program for getting good shots for your portfolio. There are very few other places where you can get so close to animals!

Photography & volunteering

Amazing, life changing definitely worth going on. The lion walks in the morning are amazing photography opportunities with many of them playing or play fighting. The round up (collecting the safari horses on horse back) is also good, even if you are a beginner (like me). Make the most of all the trips and try and go on a majority of them as they are very worth while.