Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Teaching and community support on the slopes of Kilimanjaro

An amazing an rewarding experience

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on this project. I felt so appreciated by both staff and students/wazee residents. Such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere to come into. There is a lot of support available as well as resources and information.

If volunteering is what you genuinely want to do, you won't be disappointed

African Impact's base in Moshi is well connected to Moshi's community. I have just completed 2 weeks voluntary work with their education programme which gave me opportunities to teach nursery children, college students and people of the Maasai tribe! As a result, you get to be involved with all ages and different environments. In each area the impact you have as a volunteer is noticeable and appreciated. I recommend African Impact's education programme to first time volunteers and experienced. I initially booked 2 weeks on the programme, which I have just completed, but now wish I had booked longer as you really become part of the community and get a homely feeling in Moshi that you don't want to leave. This programme is for those who are willing to get stuck in and are happy to take charge with voluntary work. The African Impact staff are very supportive in creating lessons plans. You really get as much from the experience as you put in and there are always opportunities in the programme to put your stamp on projects. If you're happy to leave socialising for the weekend and take charge volunteering throughout the week then I recommend doing this programme.

Great first volunteer experience

This experience has exceeded all expectations. The support, the structure, the staff and the opportunities offered during my 3 week stay have been incredible. I only wish I could stay longer. Each project I contributed to was inspirational in their own way. Teaching English at the community classes and seeing the commitment of the students each day and getting to know each of them was amazing. The nursery kids are adorable and having the chance to run the English lessons was something I didn't realise I would enjoy so much - their little faces! I loved the curriculum themes and getting to draw pictures and play learning games and sing songs with them. Visiting the Wazee project felt like I gained 16 grandparents - they are all such characters, and were so patient with us while we were still learning the basics of Kiswahili. The School for the Deaf project was a neat experience, and the kids so happy and fun - it was so great to run a craft project with them, and to see them enjoy the results. The Wakipa women's group and local meal run by the group was so wonderful, and seeing the progress they have made with their business a great inspiration. Each project has a well developed curriculum that provides enough content to fit in with the programme, but enough flexibility to offer the opportunity to add your own ideas as you have them. The processes, planning and support are well established and coordinators frequently offer help, support, ideas and are always open and seeking feedback. I really couldn't have hoped for a better experience. This place is so beautiful - the people, the surroundings, the food! I'm so grateful to have had this experience. I hope to come back again.

African Impact Moshi

My time here have been very educational; I have learned a lot myself as well as having the opportunity to teach here. I have really enjoyed the diversity that AI has to offer when volunteering in Moshi.

African Impact- Moshi 2016

My experience on the Moshi Project has far exceeded my expectations, travelling alone and beyond my comfort zone was a daunting prospect but from the moment I arrived I've felt nothing but welcome and supported.
The team at African Impact are so dedicated to their projects within the community and their volunteers, this was clear from the get go!
I signed up to the education project and assumed that I would spend my time mainly teaching in schools with young children (due to a background in teaching). Gill and the team have given me opportunities far beyond this, not only teaching on their nursery project but with the Masai, local Government and older students within the community working to learn and develop their English.

My time here has been educational, challenging, humbling and truly inspiring. Tanzania, the communities I have been fortunate enough to meet and work with and the wonderful team at African Impact will hold a very special place in my heart.

Gill, Dee Dee, Carelyn, Prosper, Elieza, Eliza & Joeli I cannot thank you enough!

Just wonderful!

I decided to come to Africa a long time ago. It was my dream to work for a local african community since several years. When I was looking for a specific project it was the diversity of this project here in Moshi, who helped me to make a decision. After the whole volunteering experience I can say, that it is also the diversity of the project who made my time so amazing. I met a lot of people in different ages and I really enjoyed to hear the different stories about this amazing people. I teached my students in different subjects and I'm sure they learned a lot. But I think what I learned from them is so much more! It was a wonderful experience and to come to Moshi was probably the best decision I ever made.

Short term volunteering in Moshi

I would completely recommend this to anyone thinking about volunteering! Its brilliant to find a volunteering placement which can fit around work, give you an insight into the culture and community, and give you a chance input your knowledge and skills in a meaningful way. African Impact gave me an opportunity to be part of something really important whilst also feeling like I was a making a useful contribution. It's a lovely, relaxed atmosphere in a beautiful setting with even lovelier people. Plus the food is excellent! My only regret is not staying longer.

Nice experience

I am happy having booked my volunteering at African Impact in Moshi. The experience at the projects was impressing. The students are always motivated and even it was sometimes challenging to teach them (because of their sometimes limited English) it worked. The staff is friendly and always there for you if you need help or advice. The volunteer community was socializing a lot and there is every week one organised event for socializing. The accommodation is simple but there is everything you need and for Tanzanian standard it was an excellent accommodation.

The best way to spend 2 weeks!

From the minute you arrive at the African Impact house in Moshi, you are welcomed into the family! There is a great environment here with communal meals and shared rooms (so great having a roomie!). You can also instantly tell that the project co-ordinators are passionate about the work that they do.
Joining the projects was really special - even when just shadowing, there is so much to pick up on : the well planned lessons, the engaged students and the quality of the teaching. But even when shadowing you are encouraged to be involved and so you can start to add value from really early on! The freedom to run your lessons is great as it makes you think about how to convey your message. And when the students get involved, it is so rewarding. I loved the variety of the lessons I was assigned: literacy, health and female empowerment. And the end of my stay - it was great to see the (real) progress the students had made!
My only regret - is not staying longer!

My African Impact review

Volunteering with African Impact has, without a doubt, been one of the greatest experiences of my life. Perhaps the greatest (saved for being born, which was also pretty spectacular). From day one I felt as though I was part of a team, and not any old team. A team of like-minded individuals striving in every big and small way to make some sort of positive change. The atmosphere was always one of encouragement, enthusiasm and passion. A very inspiring place to be. I felt supported throughout the duration of my stay and in a place where I knew I could ask for help. At first the idea of leading my own class was daunting, but African Impact provides all the guidance and structures you need to create great lessons. I felt such a sense of accomplishment after that first lesson and its something that will stay with me, you know, I can do that! It's a great feeling to have. The way the days flow is great, it doesn't take much time at all to settle into things. Organisation is not my strongest virtue and even I felt on top of the timetable! Talking of timetables did I mention the FOOD! It was literally incredible. Every meal time being served up amazing, tasty and freshly cooked meals was just the greatest treat. I am a vegetarian and my dietary needs were met without any worries! (Hakuna Matata!) Now I am back at home I try in vain to recreate some of the fantastic food I tried, it's not going so well. In the afternoons we have time to ourselves as volunteers to relax or chat about the day, and on some evenings in house events would take place. Games nights, movie nights, in fact during my stay we even had the opportunity to take part in an African Impact Olympics. (Proud owner of the silver medal position). All of this was great as it gave us the chance to really bond as a team. Its not only the people you meet on project that have an impact but also the people who share your time at the volunteer house. Meeting people is one of my most favorite pastimes. Meeting people from all over the world and getting to know them as well as I did was really a pleasure and broadened my understanding of the world and the people in it. But you know it wasn't just in the house where I felt like I was welcomed as part of a family but also within the community. This is part of the experience that I feel can only be made possible through volunteering. Meeting and living with the locals, teaching them or their children at school each day, walking through the streets that they live on, going on that morning jog and seeing the same familiar faces.. You know, your a part of it. A part of the community. And I couldn't tell you how amazing that felt. Everyday I would walk to project and be greeted with smiling faces and children running to say hello. The locals are so grateful, as I am grateful to them to, for be so welcoming. And then, if it could get any better than that, African Impact also provides information on trips and tours. So after a great week of volunteering you can flick through a folder and have a yourself go on a nice day trip or weekend away. I never thought I would get the opportunity to squeeze a safari in on my visit, but African Impact made that dream a reality for me also. I would highly recommend it, Ngorongoro crater was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Plus (yes! Another plus!) some of the money gets donated back to African Impacts sister charity, so its a winner all round. I think its quite easy to see from what I have written that my experience volunteering with African Impact really was completely incredible! I really couldn't fault it in anyway. It exceeded all expectations and is something that I will hold on to dearly for the rest of my life. I am endlessly grateful and would just like to thank everyone at African Impact for doing such a great job.

One of my best experiences ever

The people in the volunteer house are so friendly and helpful. Teaching children in all age groups was such an amazing experience, i really enjoyed it. The regular visits to the wazee (old peoples home) means also a lot to me. On weekends we did awesome trips like a safari. All in all it was one of my best trips.

Make a big difference in a small amount of time

Situated at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, African Impact Moshi play a huge part in the local community. Helping local people from 3 to 103 years old learn English is an extremely rewarding experience. The AI team provide all the support you need to make a massive difference. Providing quality accommodation and food allows you to concentrate on the objectives and give your best efforts to the projects. Each project is unique and the people you meet are unforgettable. This was my second experience with African Impact and it certainly won't be my last.

My African Impact experience

My experience at African Impact, Moshi has been amazing! I was able to get involved in a number of project. The wazee, NAFGEM, community class and nursery. Each project was unique in its own way and while working on the various project I learnt so many lessons from each experience. I was able to input my time, work and effort into each project and make real connections with people.

It was fantastic getting the opportunity to observe how projects were run and then get the chance to lead classes alone. Receiving such a responsibility meant stepping out of my comfort zone but also being able to bring something new to the projects.

I have also met some fantastic people who I otherwise would not have met in my day to day life.

Can't wait to be back!

I originally came to Moshi to volunteer with African Impact for 3 weeks. But after a few days already, I decided I wanted to stay longer, so I ended up volunteering for 7 weeks. And if I would have had the time, I would have been there for an even longer amount of time!

My volunteer experience in Tanzania has been amazing! The African Impact staff, the other volunteers and the local people were all very welcoming and really friendly. I immediately felt at home. During the first days of my stay, I got a lot of information about living in Tanzania, the different projects, teaching methods and even tourist trips to do during the weekends.

I simply loved every project I have worked on. They were all very different, but all of them were evenly interesting, enjoyable and fun. From teaching the Maasai how to read and write, to teaching nursery kids their first English words, to teaching in a secondary school, to visiting the elderly at the old folks' home, I enjoyed every second of these projects. All of the students I taught were very genuine and thankful. I was their teacher in class, but I think they even taught me more than I taught them. Although they have never gone to school, the Maasai keep on coming to class every single day. And even though the Wazee don't have a lot, they still keep on smiling. I think we could all learn a lot from them.

The African Impact staff is simply the best! Although I didn't really have much teaching experience, I got a lot of help from them and gained more confidence to stand in front of a group of students week by week. Every project was also very well organized and structured: there were learning goals and a curriculum for every project. This made sure we exactly knew what we had to teach, and that our students made progress week by week.

I enjoyed every single second of my time in Tanzania with African Impact and it definitely was one of the best experiences in my life! When I came back home, I couldn't stop thinking about my amazing 7 weeks I spent there and I started to miss the people in Moshi. That's why I decided to come back, back to my second home! I really can't wait to be back in a couple of weeks!

African Impact- Moshi

Volunteering at African Impact was one of the best decisions I have made. My experience here exceeded my expectations and would recommend the programme to anyone. The projects here are dynamic and the work is rewarding. Working so closely with the community gives volunteers an insight to the culture here in Moshi and allows them to make connections they wouldn't have otherwise made. The staff and fellow volunteers are welcoming and the atmosphere in the house has made the experience even more memorable.

A month of new and meaningful and impactful experiences

Having completed a month long project in Moshi I can wholeheartedly say coming to Tanzania was one of the best decisions I have made. Before arriving I was worried that just being here a month wouldn't give me enough time to really integrate into the community or to bare any real responsibility on any area of the projects. I also worried that at 26, I would be on the older side of the average volunteer and would struggle in having common ground.

Once I arrived in Moshi, met the team and began projects I realized how unfounded my worries were. The amazing team here range in age and life experience and couldn't have been more helpful or supportive. On week one I had the opportunity to teach with Zoe, the education project coordinator, Zoe really encouraged me to join in when I felt comfortable while showing me their teaching ethos and each individual lesson plan. This enabled me to then feel comfortable enough to teach on my own by the second week while knowing Zoe was near by should there be a problem. Not only did I feel that I had responsibility for my classes but it really grew my self confidence in the process.

Gill, Dee Dee, Prosper and Zoe are hugely passionate about each and every project that they manage and have integrated into the community here seamlessly. Due to their work in the area to date, locals are hugely welcoming to all volunteers, making it so easy to settle in. I guarantee each and every volunteer here will have surreal moments while in Moshi, when you realize that you are sitting watching movies with Massai or chatting Kiswahilli among the varying nationalities staying at the volunteer house.

Due to the location of the projects here, trips are plentiful and African Impact staff manage all bookings and trip info making it really easy for all visitors. I highly recommend the cultural tour as well as the Kilimanjaro day hike.

I would encourage anyone to take some time and volunteer here on Moshi, not only would you be contributing to huge changes and improvements through African Impact but you will also have an experience that you will never forget.

Best Experience

The last month has been the best experience I have had. From the welcome, to the accommodation to the food. What can I say but it's been an exceptional experience. The projects that we support are serving the community.

Best decision I've ever made!!

Even though I was the youngest of the volunteers, everyone made me feel so welcomed. I only volunteered for two weeks but it was one of the best experiences of my life. The kids stole my heart and I can't wait to come back soon!

A very special experience

Volunteering in Moshi is one of the best life experiences you can gain! Although I was only volunteering for 2 weeks, I felt so privileged to join the project. The local village make you feel incredibly welcome and open up their hearts to you, leaving you quite amazed how attached you feel! The work that African Impact do within the community is entirely worth while and you are constantly seeing improvements. It's hard to explain to others the impact volunteering has on your way of viewing the world and gratitude, but something that pulls all us volunteers together - I can't recommend it enough - you'll have the time of your life!

You'll never want to leave!

This project stole my heart! If you want an awesome experience volunteering in Africa, this is the place to be! The community members, staff and other volunteers put so much effort in making you feel welcome! The projects are incredible and the community is even better! Best experience ever!

Most rewarding thing I have done

I worked on the education project for 2 months - Maasai, nursery kids, Tourism college then the Wazee (nursing home) one day a week.

My title and rating basically sums up my feelings. I agree so much with the previous reviews, and am trying to think of anything I can add:

- if you want to feel part of a community rather than just a tourist, this project is perfect
- the money you pay goes to the right place, I saw it for myself, so much so that I ended up fundraising for the Wazee
- it is extremely professionally run - each project is very much structured by the co-ordinaters
- if you are worried about working on your holiday time, don't be - it's very enjoyable and varied and you are definitely not overworked
- Moshi and Msaranga (the area of Moshi) are extremely safe, there have been no real negative incidents in the history of the project. In fact it takes some getting used to greeting everyone as you go about your business!
- the food is better than you think it will be!
- you will learn Swahili for 30 minutes or so a week which is a big differentiator from other projects in the area - it makes a massive difference just to be able to greet people in the area
- the amount of people who return to the project speaks volumes

A none stop buzz of happiness!!

From the moment i arrived i felt welcome in the community. After introductions i was shown a presentation that outlined the things African Impact had already achieved and their future aims. Its safe to say after this presentation i was absolutely BUZZING to get to project.

First stop was teaching the Masai to read and write in Swahili you will never meet a more friendly group of people. Their main concern is making sure your welcome and they are so eager to learn its brilliant to see and to be apart of.

Second Stop was teaching the young children shapes and colours. Lots of singing, dancing and smiley faces, an excellent way to finish the morning.

After lunch it was off to the Wazee or now i would say off to visit my 15 adopted grand parents. They truly were the highlight of my volunteering experience. Hearing how the Wazee was before African Impact arrived and how the wazee is now this really does show how much of a positive impact the project is having on the local community.

On a Friday i attended a woman's group and if your interested in learning about the African culture in depth and learning about what their opinion is on what can sometimes be difficult subjects this is an excellent way to learn. I learnt many things about the African Culture during the group discussions that i never would have learned without attending this project. Its an excellent opportunity to ask questions relating to the subject being discussed and expand your knowledge base.

The house has an excellent atmosphere. The event nights are always good fun and a great way to get to know who you living with. The staff cook excellent food and your constantly looked after. Gill, Aoife & Alex make sure your welcome and are always there to give a helping hand if needed.

I cant recommend this volunteering experience enough. It's the best thing i've ever done and i'm so delighted i've been able to help out. I helped for 2 weeks but even in that 2 weeks i saw what a difference i made its such a rewarding experience. So if your worried your not going to make much of a difference in 2 weeks honestly you'll be amazed at how much of a difference you can make i certainly was.

ABC...

From the second of February till the second of March, I was volunteering at African Impact, Moshi. It has been an incredible experience. Not only because of the gorgeous view, cute children, banana trees and warm sun, but mostly because you're really making an impact in this community. When I was searching in Holland for volunteering programs, I absolutely didn't want to join an organization which was set up only to make profit. African Impact is nothing like that and I would definitely recommend this volunteering organization. You may be in Moshi for 4 weeks, like me, but in the end you will be part of a 20 week plan. And within these 20 weeks, all the topics and grammar will be covered. This is what I wanted to do, taking part of a program with a clear structure and a heart for the community. Not just learning kids the alphabet over and over again, because volunteers like to do things like that. From the beginning of the day till the end, you’ll be busy with the projects. It is hard work and the different projects take a lot of preparation time, but in the end I felt so much more satisfied with all the things that I achieved. This is what I signed up for and African Impact completely lived up to my expectations. The staff is really helpful and I felt safe all the time while staying with African Impact. Also I got experiences and connections with people whom I wouldn’t be able to connect with if I just arrived in Tanzania as a plain tourist. Believe me, you won't regret your decision!

The best experience of my life so far!

When I took the decision to enquiry for this project, I already had an amazing experience with African impact in South Africa! So I kind of knew that everything in this association is just so well organized and safe! But I definitely didn't expect that this would be the best time of my life. Being a volunteer in the community of Msaranga was wonderful. The people in this community were always so happy and welcoming, starting from the staff members of the house where we lived and finishing with the guys we taught to! Everyone was always ready to learn, to make the effort, to make you feel at home! I remember that time when I was about to leave and I told my class, they just didn't want me to go! They consider our presence as a blessing, and they make you feel so special that you can't help but cry the day you leave. The area of Moshi is wonderful as well, there are some pretty stunning waterfalls and hikes to do! And you always get the chance to see new places and new cultures! Africa is not an easy country, but African impact makes it so easy to live there, and so hard to go away once your time is up! If you are not sure, just go without too much thinking! I can assure you that you will never regret it.

Pamoja Tunaweza

It's now a month since I have returned from Tanzania, and not a day has gone by when I haven't thought about going back! I've settled back into university hustle and bustle, and miss the poli poli attitude that encompasses Africa.

I'll tell you something that in my opinion sums up my experience in Africa. On my journey home I was sat on the coach having just arrived in England. It was a two hour journey so I took the time to stop and think about everything I had seen, it was at this point i became quite overwhelmed and tears came to my eyes. I wasn't sad, but happy and felt very privileged to have been so warmly welcomed into the community. I left Africa feeling I had contributed to the ongoing change in Tanzania.

The thing that has struck me since leaving the project is what I remember and in what order i remember things. Although the scenery was and is breathtaking, and my safari trip was amazing, (a dream of mine from a very young age) when I think of my experience in Tanzania - it's the people of the community that make me smile the most often. I think that is the key difference from being a tourist and a volunteer; a tourist will remember their safari trip, but a volunteer remembers their student's smiling face when they get 10 out of 10 on a test that you helped them with - and that i can assure you is one of the best feelings.

An average day on project is busy. You have breakfast and then you go to morning classes, followed by lunch followed by afternoon project, followed by dinner. Once that is all done with - it's free time. We often watched films altogether and had very early nights! The weekends are as full as you want them to be and you can do as much or as little as you like.

If you're considering volunteering for this opportunity, I cannot recommend that you do so enough. The best way to describe a volunteer is like a coil in a machine and without them, (you and I), the organisation couldn't work - so you have a real opportunity to make an African Impact.

Bethany October 2014