Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Teach English to children and adults on Zanzibar Island

Highlights of my AI experience

It was an amazing experience to teach with African Impact, the people, the environment and the children. It felt so nice being a little part of this community and help with the education of the children and adults of all age.
But my experience here in Jambiani thought me way more then i have thought to the children. It thought me how to be responsible, how you can be kind in any way of life, how even the smallest things can make someone smile and grateful we have to be for what we already have.

African Impact Zanzibar education & community development

I spent 3 weeks in Zanzibar on this project, which have been so amazing. The project is extremely well organised and you are well supported throughout your stay, both on project and in leisure time!!!

"Jambo, teacher!"

I stayed 3 weeks in Jambiani as a volunteer. In the morning we went to two nursery schools and in the afternoon we taught English to the the adults and to a group of women. The people here are so friendly!

My review

Had a great time! High above my expectations!
You get the opportunity to meet new people,culture,habits and lifestyle.
Be part of the community.
Recommend to everyone have such an amazing experience :)

Teaching and community project - Zanzibar

I've spent two weeks here in Jambiani; having volunteered previously, I have been totally impressed by the way that African Impact is run in order to ensure the best outcomes for the community it supports. There is a wonderful sense of partnership with the locals, meaning you are always met with a warm welcome,
The project supports people of many ages, providing education in order to allow the people of Jambiani to support themselves sustainably. One of the most rewarding parts for me has been teaching a small adult class who choose to come for their own knowledge to enhance their opportunities in life; being a part of that is an incredible thing. I've enjoyed every minute, have met some lovely people along the way and learnt many life lessons!

The project is not professional

The project is not professional. We pay an about 100$ per a day. How is the money used, we cant see. no methods, no equipment, no teachers. all what we have is only the donations that the volunteers brought. We don't understand the children, they don't understand us. What can 19 years old volunteer do in 2-4 weeks?

Teaching and community project

I was nine weeks in the teaching and community project and I learned a lot of new things and I really enjoyed the time as a teacher. How to teach children in the nursery class and the adult class in kidenga.

Unforgettable experience

My time here in Jambiani was amazing! I didn't know what it will be like and it was totally new for me to be teaching, but my experience is only positive and I would recommend this project to everyone who would like to be part of a wonderful organization which has got a big impact. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I never want to leave this place

My time here has been amazing,would not have done it any other way! Everyone is wonderful and friendly, from the staff to the community to the other volunteers. It had been eye opening and unbelievably educational. :)

Heaven is a place on earth!

The 6 weeks on this project were amazing, it was a once in a lifetime experience and one I will always remember. we spent our days teaching nursery kids and adults, working on the land - planting trees and building a school from scratch(!!) using Eco bricks and eating dinners under the stars with local women, and the best part in all of it was living on Jambiani's amazing white sand beach.
the staff were really supportive and helpful and my fellow volunteers were amazing - I couldn't ask for a better place to be in.
I recommend this project for anyone who wants to make his little change in the world while living in Heaven with a warm and welcoming community!

All was well

Thank God all was well. The vibes in Zanzibar encourages one to develop a positive character. Trying to adopt good qualities of the self here is easy because if you try to do so, you would be swimming with the tide as opposed to swimming against it.

Poa

Poa means all is good. In terms of housing and food everything was more than perfect. The best part of the experience is walking on the beach and starting random conversations with people you never met before. It is as if you knew them for life.

Hakuna matata Zanzibar

My time in Zanzibar has been amazing. I cant believe that its already over. I am glad that I have met so many different people in such a short time and that I had the opportunity to work for African Impact. Also if there were hard times sometimes it was my task to make it and I tried to do my best for all of my students. I am looking forward to come back to visit all this amazing people on this island which I met and to have the chance to see them again.

My experience in general

When I arrived here in Zanzibar, I had no idea what was going to happen. After two months I look back, this experience was just amazing. Everyone must do this project, I'll take a lot of knowledge with me home.

Finally i did it

It was a great experience for me . Together with my daughter.

I finally did it. I was thinking a long time ,of doing this and I will do this again. .First I was thinking I am to old for this advent-er but I realize ,when I don t do it, I will regret this all my live

don't worry be happy!!!

at the beginning it was a little strange but i have to settle in i think...a few days later it went ok and i find my way at the nursery class and the adults to it was the best time of my life and thanks to every one big hug colinda from halland!!!

My time in Zanzibar

My time in Zanzibar has been nothing short of amazing. As soon as I stepped out of the taxi I felt instantly welcomed not only by the amazing project managers and other volunteers but also every local I passed by. The staff here are very accommodating and go above and beyond to help you with absolutely anything, answer all of your questions and make you feel happy and welcomed.
Teaching my classes is an experience that I will never forget. I have never felt so much satisfaction as I do when I teach my both my nursery classes and my adult English class. So many of my students have such a hunger to learn and so much potential.
Coming here would have to be one of the best and most rewarding things that I have ever done. I have fallen so in love with Zanzibar and all of the people here. I would definitely recommend this project to everyone!

My volunteering experience in Zanzibar

My experience has been an incredible one. I have learnt and grown so much in only 3 weeks, interacting with entirely different people and cultures. I have enjoyed every minute of my time here, and I am sad to be leaving, but I am leaving with a totally different mindset, appreciation for the little things in life, and a hugely rewarding story behind my time here in Jambiani. It will be an experience with me for life.

African Impact experience

The volunteering experience has been good. The teaching has been great although you need to know a lot about the English language (grammar, writing, reading etc) before teaching a adult class. The nursery classes were always fun and the students are always eager to learn. I recommend this experience as it is a once in a life-time opportunity.

People must live this at least once in their life

This community gave me the opportunity to live, learn and understand the world a little bit more. If you think about it this could be the definition of EXPERIENCE. Being on this project and living with people that find" brushing their teeth" and "wishing their hands" something extraordinary has been an astonishing fact. I thank this month because it gave me a different prospective on the world I live in. Gong to a local dinner and see that these women are giving you more than what they have just to make you feel comfortable has made me think on our western jealousy and selfishness.
to conclude,
Thank you Jambiani.

My experience volunteering for African Impact Zanzibar

My volunteering experience at African Impact Zanzibar was overall very good. The location is amazing, the local food and people as well. It was amazing getting to know so many new people, as this was my first time traveling alone. The African Impact House is cozy in I like how we live together. On the other hand, I was quite disappointed when I arrived, as we were not very warmly welcomed. I missed the enthusiasm from the project coordinators. There was also quite a lack of information as we were all teaching alone and literally thrown into the classes without much explanation or help. I felt like I knew the drill after a day or two, but it would have been nice with a bit more guiding. All in all, a very good experience, the staff is nice, Jambiani is beautiful and the people I met I will never forget.

Very nice to volunteer on this project of teaching English

The experience on volunteering in the teaching project was very nice and I learned a lot of the people how they live here and Iearned that I loved the children as much as the adults by teaching English.
The chefs made very good meals and all the people in the house were very friendly and helpful too.
The project is good organized so its quickly clear what you're supposed to do. The lessons are basically prepared and you can help to prepare in details.
I think that 2 weeks is a little bit too short to get into all the various parts of all days, but on the other hand I liked the variety in tasks.
The volunteer house is almost on the beach and its such a lovely place with the sunrise and beautiful blue colored water!!

Volunteering experience in Zanzibar

I was in zanzibar for 4 weeks and I enjoyed every day. We were 16 volunteers and we built a great community. If someone had problems, you just needed to ask the staff. In the morning, we taught at 2 nursery schools and in the evening I taught an adult class in kizimkazi. It was a lot of fun and i'm glad that I made this experience.

Experience

I had a great time volunteering here in Zanzibar with African impact, The surroundings were beautiful and everyone in the village and the volunteers were so nice. I loved the teaching with the Kanga ladies and at Kidenga school with their English lessons, it was good to be here for their exams as you can see how hard they have worked and what it has all been for for! I was surprised to see how much the schedule changed during Ramadan and this does need to be made more clear when booking even at 3rd parties such as travel agents.

My Zanzibarian experience

My time with African Impact has been amazing! The location of the project is overwhelming and the interaction between volunteers and the community is incredible. I personally have never experienced anything so rewarding.