Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Sports Coaching and Development, Cape Town

African Impact - sports development experience in Cape Town

Working with African Impact has been an amazing experience. The staff are extremely friendly, enthusiastic and an inspiration. Working on the Sports project has been an absolute pleasure, from working with the children and watching them improve to partnering with the coaches at Sporting Chance.
The people that you meet volunteering are brilliant. They share the same values and they have the same drive motivations which leads to a really effective team. I am so proud to have been affiliated with African Impact and the work they do in these communities.

Best 2 weeks of my life

I actually didn't think I would be sad after staying here for only 2 weeks. But here I'm 2 weeks later, starving to get back to Cape Town, play with the kids and get back to my family in the volunteer house. I expected a lot of emotional times where thought about the kids I play with daily and the situation every family has it in these Townships. But I didn't think I would feel this connection to the other volunteers like I do now. That's the hard part, cause I know I will be back here volunteering with African Impact. But this house i live in know with all these great persons living here... I might not see them again and I might be unlucky to get another family next time i volunteer here that I am not that happy for.

But these 2 weeks has been life changing, and I can not write it in words how much I've changed as a person. It's so weird.
I will never forget this. I'm so proud of my self that I did this.
A huge thank you from Norway.

I'll see you all again, soon.

Tamara's review

I had a really great time doing the sports coaching and orphan care program, I would recommend it! The projects were well organised and the staff were great, lots of energy and ideas from everyone, everyone made me feel very welcome. The house is great for a volunteer house and i met amazing friends on my journey. I would definitely come back to volunteer through African Impact.

Sports coaching experience

This project has been fantastic. I have really enjoyed my time here in South Africa and enjoyed the whole experience. Everything about the project from working with less fortunate children and teaching them sports to meeting new people and living with them and exploring doing exciting things with them for 2 weeks has been by far the best experience ever.

Awesome African Impact

Incredible people and amazing staff who are very easy to get on with. Outstanding work rate and effort to ensure the children are treated and helped in the best way possible. Wish i stayed for longer.

10 reasons to volunteer with African Impact

6. You appreciate everything and everyone around you so much more
7. Cape Town is an beautiful place to explore
8. Another place becomes a home (it's called obs!) with a new family
9. You learn a simple life is a happy one
10. You'll never want to leave!

As someone who has never volunteered before I wasn't sure what to expect or whether it would be the right thing for me. I have found the whole experience incredible and I would recommend it to anyone. You won't regret it!

My Time at the Lion house

I truly enjoyed my time in Cape Town volunteering and living in the Lion house. The volunteer work was engaging and very involved and I found we made an obvious impact with the children. It was great to see development in their skills and the joy in which they received us each and every day. The Lion house itself was also incredible. "Obs" is a very cool neighbourhood with everything you would ever need close by. The staff are not only impeccably helpful but also very friendly and great people to just hang out with. I also loved the accommodation and and made some great friendships in the house that I will never forget.

My south african experience.

My time in Cape Town, South Africa is one i will never forget. From the second i walked through the lion house gates it felt welcoming, the staff and volunteers friendly and the house homely. I've met great people who i know i will remain in contact with. and most importantly the impact that has been made volunteering has been phenomenal, everything is organised, planned, fun and when you drive through the gates where your project takes place you can see the smiles on every child's face and how much they enjoy and appreciate your presence.

Children are a reward, gift and blessing of life

My 2 weeks at African Impact in Cape Town has been a life lesson that I will treasure an forever take with me in the next chapter of my life. I came here to help the kids and make sure that I leave a positive environment for them. The truth will have to be that the kids and the staff I've worked with have have helped me to mature and grow as a person , as well as creating an amazing atmosphere that words, emotions and feelings can't describe. I am very grateful I was allowed to take part in this wonderful experience and I believe this journey has been amazing and would recommend everyone to follow in my footsteps.

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to chance the world - Nelson Mandela

African Impact has given me a huge chance to start my adventure and take steps towards where i want to be in the future. To have the opportunity to work abroad in a foreign culture and experience a different way of living is so important to help me broaden my mind. All the staff have been extremely professional and are so passionate about what they are doing. The children have been a blessing and were the main reason i wanted to come on this journey but all the people involved in the project have helped it become such a great experience. I have just finished my first year of University studying Sport so its great experience that can benefit me for the future. Whilst on project I have always felt so confident due to the staff being so supportive and allowing me to be myself and help the children have fun and learn. The city of Cape Town is so diverse and there are lots of things to do here.

Sports Development Cape Town

I thoroughly enjoyed my time volunteering for African Impact, the project delivered all that I had hoped and allowed me to take part in a diverse range of activities and classes. I felt as though I was making a difference at every school and club that I visited in my two week stay. I would highly recommend this project to anyone looking to use sport as a way to help people.

Voluteering with African Impact

Amazing experience and exceeded all my expectations I had for the programme. Cape Town, South Africa is a beautiful city rich in spirit. During my time here I have developed as a person as well as having two of the best weeks of my life.

My time volunteering in Cape Town

I arrived to Cape Town after spending two not-so-good weeks volunteering on a Game Reserve and was unsure of what to expect. The sports development project offered by African Impact in Cape Town has exceeded all of my expectations. The staff, the accommodation, the project and Cape Town in general has been amazing. I will never forget being apart of the sports project - being able to see and feel the difference you make everyday on project is incredible. I wish I stayed for longer than two weeks!

Awesome Cape Town Volunteering Experience

Having volunteered elsewhere, I was blown away by my experience with African Impact. The program was so well organised and you could really see the impact your work was having in the communities around Cape Town.

African Impact, Sports Coaching from Chicago

African Impact does amazing things. The experience in the communities has been an eye-opening experience in which I found myself learning not only about others and their communities but also about myself. It pushes you to open up in unique ways, forcing you to reflect on who you are and on a larger scale, who the rest of the world is as well. I think the work that is done through African Impact truly changes lives, for those being served but also just as much as those doing the serving.

Volunteer experience in Cape Town, South Africa

I volunteered with African Impact to fulfill my graduation requirement for my master's program and it was one of the best decisions I could have made. I volunteered in Cape Town with the sports coaching and development program and the healthcare program for 2 months. The work and various programs this organization runs just in Cape Town alone is absolutely incredible. You get to make a real impact on the children you work with, whether it is with sports, or teaching and they are so eager to learn about EVERYTHING! This is the most rewarding experience I have had. I found this particular program in Cape Town great because not only do you work in various communities but there is much to explore around the city, which always keeps you busy. And I can't say enough about the amazing staff members I had the chance to meet. I strongly encourage anyone who is considering this organization for a volunteer program, gap year or anything else, to go ahead and book it! You won't regret it.

Volunteering at Luntu Educare & GAPA

If you are looking for a volunteer experience that is legitimate, sustainable and enjoyable all whilst making a truly valuable impact then look no further, African Impact is the largest on the ground facilitator of volunteer opportunities in Africa! So where you want to be and what you want to do is totally up to you, and trust me, you will be in safe hands!

So i chose to volunteer in sunny Cape Town with the teaching projects out there. I spent half my time supporting teaching at a pre-school in a local township and the other half with GAPA (Grandmothers Against Poverty & Aids) - a truly incredible project that supports grandmothers to provide after-school care, fun and food to children within the largest township community, Khayelitsha.

I learnt more than I could have imagined, not just about the culture and lifestyles of the communities, but also about the nature of volunteering itself. It's about offering support whilst remaining completely sustainable, less about the hand outs and more about enabling and empowering others. This means that your impact is truly lasting and unforgettable.
At Luntu you will meet some very special children who will fall in love with you as soon as you walk in through the front door! Their squeals of joy and the songs they will teach you will buzz around your head forever. I spent most mornings reading stories, teaching English and supporting their play.

GAPA volunteers help to support grandmothers in providing a safe place where children can simply enjoy being children. Grandmothers often become parents again to their grandchildren as the middle generation are affected by HIV/aids, the project enables them to get together, offering care, love and attention to the communities children and also gives them an opportunity to start earning a small living again, making and selling unique hand-made toys, jewellery and accessories which make fantastic keep-sakes and souvenirs! You will have fun organising games and singing songs, playing cards or painting pictures in the dusty yard. As a Primary School teacher back in the UK, I was amazed at what you can do with little resources! The children are strong, happy, motivated and independent. They will fight for your attention and obsess over your hair, they will love you just for being there.

You will have plenty of fun at the volunteer house, making friends from all around the world. Theme nights, pub quizzes, coffee shop crawls! You will be pretty well looked after too by the wonderful Shecky and Jane! The cooking is traditional, delicious and dinner is always on the table when you come home from project! They’ll even do your washing for you so that you can concentrate on the important things, like enjoying yourself, sorting resources or planning for more fun!
You will never be on your own, fellow volunteers will become your family out there and with constant support from African Impact project co-coordinators and Interns you will work together to plan fun and engaging activities and not forgetting the incredible local project leaders who are always on hand for a quick Xhosa lesson or two!

Cape Town is so vibrant and colourful, it’s constantly buzzing! There is so much to see and do that you will be spoilt for choice! We spent our weekends and free time exploring Obs (the volunteer house local town) where there is an eclectic mix of late night coffee shops, pubs, clubs and live music! We clambered up Table Mountain and abseiled down again, sampled tasty treats at the Biscuit Mill markets. We then joined the Cape to Addo tour at the end of our volunteer adventure, where we bungee-jumped, braved black-water tubing and bare-back Ostrich riding! We sunned ourselves at a citrus farm and spotted elephants on Safari – a perfect way to round off an epic South African adventure. There are plenty more opportunities from shark-cage diving to sky diving, the possibilities are endless and your volunteering experience will be unforgettable.

So here's a few tips:
- Bring a jumper (it gets cold indoors!)
- Be open minded (if your friends want to stop off to try sheep’s head on the way to project – do it! Try the local treats, they will leave you wanting more no matter how strange they seem!)
- Learn some Xhosa – the go go’s will appreciate a ‘molo!’
- Why not pack a few extra resources in your back-pack – kids love to play cards and parachute games!

Volunteering provides a broader perspective on all aspects of life, it deepens understanding and ignites intrigue. To volunteer is to learn, to enjoy, to experience. To be excited, exhilarated and to explore a sense of awe and wonder. If it does all this for you, just imagine what you can do for others.

Volunteer with African Impact Cape Town City Projects - You know you want to!

Sport Development Cape Town

When I arrived at the volunteer house we had an induction which outlined the goals for each project and the goal for the Sports Development project was to introduce a good to high standard of Physical Education (PE) while supporting the local head coach from a company called "Sports Choice". This company works with local schools with in townships with backing from some charities to improve the quality of coaching and the amount of time children take part in organised PE sessions. Sustainability is really important to African Impact and that is very clear in each project in which I was involved in.
The schools were how I pictured a township school and not like the photo on the website of the volunteer provider. The photo was of a school African Impact used to work at a couple of months before and the school did not require more volunteer help as they progressed to a high level that they can sustain for many years to come. The areas that the children do PE were old netball courts with grass in patches on an asphalt surface on which all the children take their shoes off and have bare feet. I was surprised at first but I think back to the days I was at primary school in New Zealand and I just to go bare footed for everything. I overheard the coach saying that the school don't let the children wear shoes due to it marks and wreaks the courts, which I think is a shame when the court is in quiet a poor state.
The first couple of sessions the head coach was in charge and it felt more like pre-season training rather than a PE lesion as all we did for 45 minutes were shuttles with the class split in to four groups which at least nine in each line. I thought this was crazy as I have learnt though practice and study that children should not be put in big group qued activities, one good thing was that the coach always got the children chanting as each group had a name and gained points for supporting pairs and teammates. After the first day I started to take more control of sessions from just a warm up to taking the whole session in which the children played more skill based games that include all the children most of the time, which I feel they would benefit from having fun and learning new skills as well.
Depending on the age of the children and the level of English would depend on the complexity of each game. I would explain to the rules and goals of the games to the children then speak to the coach so he knew why I am doing this particular active and what skills I am looking for from the children. If it doesn't go quite right, just adapting the rules slightly makes the children more responsive. I gave the head coach a list of session plans that have key points for the session and a lot of different games based for different age groups instead of have just one set game for the children.
On Fridays as a team we plan sessions for the next week and brainstorm new games we could try as well making them age relevant games, we would also set a theme every two weeks as the head coach only sees each class once a fortnight. Also being based in two schools in the township of Langa only two days a week allows a very limited time with each class, but the goal is to provide PE and show how important PE is in the development of a child mentally as well as physically.
After two weeks on the volunteer project I felt time went really quickly and I just wanted to stay and continue the project as I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed my time with the staff and the children as well as I felt I have grown in terms of taking a more leading role without stepping on the head coaches toes while putting my ideas out there and having the confidence in explaining and justifying the reason for this idea. When I was younger I feel I would have taken a back seat role and just let things play out as an observer.
This experience has shown me a different style and culture of coaching children and has opened my eyes to the fact that children have a massive respect for adults in this culture and been constantly hearing a collective "yes coach" and if you say something they do it, whereas some English children don't have that level of respect of even close.
The more you put in to project the more you get out, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had.

My staying at the Lions house

I have had an amazing 6 weeks on the Sport Project. It was an absolute pleasure to work with the coaches and the kids at Langa and Khayelitsha. During my 6 weeks they started to get to know me and i started to get to know them. Every morning the kids where so happy to see us and that really made such a huge impact on me. To see how much they appreciate that we are coming every morning to sport with them. That makes you feel the best feeling in the world. I really have had the best 6 weeks of my life!

My stay in the Lion House

My stay was incredible here, the staff were incredibly welcoming and helpful from the booking process, all the way to picking me up and dropping me off at the airport. The Sports program was way better than I could have hoped, and GAPA was always different and amazing each day. The house was so much fun and wish i could have stayed longer. 100% recommend to anyone interested.

African Impact volunteering (South Africa)

The volunteer experience was one of a kind and has drastically changed the way i perceived Africa. They do some amazing work and have a wide variety of projects available. The house can sometimes be hectic at times but i was lucky enough to be in a house with 20 truly amazing people who came from all over the work with one common goal. I booked for 2 weeks and unfortunately it was not nearly enough time. i thought that 2 weeks is a good time frame but in reality, depending on your mentality, the first week can be a feeling out process, which leaves only 1 week to get your hands dirty. Other than the short stay, this has been one of the best times of my life. highly recommended to anyone looking to travel and volunteer. just be aware for those who are looking to do more tourist activities that the weekend is when you will realistically have time and could be tough to plan due to weather. do some research.

Capetown volunteering: beautiful city, beautiful experience

Going in to this month of volunteering I didn't really expect anything, I wanted to come in with an open mind. Signing up ended up being one of the best choices I ever made. Beautiful city, beautiful projects, lovely people and staff. I saw so many sides of Cape Town, there's really not any other option than just to love it. I will cherish this experience, which I began alone but ended with a group of friends from all over the world, forever.

Couldn't wish for better!

This experience is definitely one of the bests of my entire life! Couldn't imagine how it would be, because I've never did something like this. I'm so grateful for everything: African Impact who treated me directly as family, the kindness of all the people who live here, the other volunteers, staff-members, the country itself with his beautiful nature and amazing activities, and especially the children at projects! I've learned a lot from the coach at the project and have had a wonderful partnership. Showed him a few new games who will be continued as I'm leave... Baie enkosi!!

African Impact in Cape Town is THE place to be!

Quite simply if I could, I would 100% extend my stay. The staff are lovely, the projects are fantastic and full of inspiring people. Jump in head first, with an open mind and reap the benefits like I have!

Impactful and full on

A very good volunteer programme especially having worked with Disney and getting to experience the lots and lots of different schools and communities. Everyone in the house was very nice, because everyone came out with a similar goal, independent of what project they were doing, which was to try to have a positive impact on the locals in the communities in those areas. Cape town has a huge variety of things to do, and a great social life, I was never bored. I would recommend to anyone who is considering, but bring your own towel. Very nice, comfortable, fun student digs accommodation and good food but if you are a picky eater bring extra money for the very tempting Spar down the road about 30 seconds away. Dont come unless you are a sort of energetic individual everyone that comes is very full on, this is not a blow off volunteering programme.