Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Support - Cape Town

Giving the children of Africa a chance at happiness

Volunteering at African Impact is a life changing experience. i enjoyed working at the projects and watching the children skills improve, while also having fun as well. creating the activities for the children and seeing that they worked well was also extremely rewarding. However leaving the house I do worry that the hard work I've put in may not continue, but I have total faith in the African Impact team to not let that happen.

Amy Thomas' review

It has been the best 3 weeks of my life. African Impact have worked so hard to put in place such an amazing programme. From accommodation, the projects, to giving you in great detail whats expected and why we do it. The materials we have to use with the children is brilliant, and everyone here can feel involved and all play different roles in the project. I did not know what to expect when I came here, as its my first time travelling but I have been outstanded. I would say if you come for only 2/3 weeks, and wanted to explore the city more during the day it is hard due to activities are only on weekend. But the activities i have done were excellent, and personally I feel as if i have made 100% of my trip and have managed to do everything Ive wanted. Its been such a life experience and i would recommended to anyone. THANK YOU AFRICAN IMPACT!

An incredible experience that you will never forget!

My time in Cape Town with African impact will forever stay in my heart and mind as one of the best times I ever had. I am sad it is ending, but happy to return home with so many more memories. If you are looking for a life changing experience with great people go volunteer with African Impact! Thank you so much for making every day a special one.

African Impact review

Ammmmmaaaaaazing experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone that would like to volunteer! You could not choose a better organization. African Impact is sustainable, empowering and you will make a real impact in the community you will be working in. The Staff is enthusiastic and supportive, they will make you feel welcome the moment you meet them and you will simply have a wonderful time. You will come home not only with the best memories but also with many friends coming from all over the world, filled with happiness and appreciation for life. I am so glad and thankful for all the experiences I was able to make during my four weeks in Cape Town and would definitely come back again!

Orphanage project

I find it beautiful how you can have an connection with children without speaking there language. It doesn't make a different for them. You are a special person for them, because you spend time with them.

African Impact OVC

African Impact Cape Town has been an amazing experience! The staff is friendly and welcoming. Living conditions exceeded my expectations and the food was great! I was always excited to go to project and will miss everything about the project very much.

April Harrington's volunteer experience

My experience with African Impact in Cape Town was nothing that I had expected but so much more. The staff is absolutely amazing and make you feel at home almost immediately. They do an amazing job at giving you true insight into the communities in which we volunteer and because of this you know you are truly making an impact on each project. The location allows you to explore Cape Town in a unique way that is only possible through this experience. I couldn't be more grateful for my three weeks in the volunteer house!

Amazing program

Great program for anyone looking to make a meaningful impact in the local communities of Cape Town, learn life-long lessons and enjoy all that this beautiful city has to offer. Living conditions exceeded expectations and the varying length of stays allows volunteers to cater to their own needs as well as meet many new people along the way. Everyone who volunteers with or works for African Impact loves the work they do. I will definitely be coming back!

This trip was the best thing that has happened to me, genuinely. I will most definitely be back!

Coming on this project changed me probably more than it helped the kids. It was the most rewarding thing I could have ever done for myself. I would recommend this to everyone. I have loved it here!!!!

South Africa project experience!

I had an absolutely amazing 2 weeks with the program and getting an opportunity to volunteer with the children. Along with that I also had a great experience getting to know all of the volunteers who were in the same boat as me! Starting this project i came into it not having an idea of what i was getting myself into, and i can tell you that I have not one bad thing to say about this program. My experience is one for the books.

Why volunteering in Cape Town changed my life

Although only here for two weeks, I was able to feel like I had a lasting impact on the children I encountered. The poverty I have been exposed to for the past two weeks coupled with the happiness of the children really opened my eyes to what it means to be grateful for what you have. The gratitude the children showed when we'd get off the bus with toys and games in our hand made me so happy because they were thrilled with whatever we would play with them. I learned so much from playing with the children and was astounded by their lack of complaints because I have worked with children for many years in America and I was used to having to revise a project or game to make everyone happy. I loved the activities we were able to participate in on the weekends such as climbing Table Mountain and going on an African Safari-- I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do that! Cape Town has so much to offer and experiencing this trip with the other amazing volunteers will forever impact me. I consider myself the luckiest person on the planet to have been able to meet such amazing role models, volunteers, selfless teachers and caregivers, and most importantly, children in the most beautiful place I have ever been to. Coming here really put things into perspective for me and encouraged me to do some self-reflecting as well as thanking God for all He has done for me.

Lovely lion house

It was such a great experience. You have lots of responsibility and you will plan the week at the project. It is amazing and every day with the kids will make you happy. You will feel home at the volunteer house. It is like a family here. It is so great.

Ana's African adventure

My African Impact trip was totally different to what I expected it to be, but in the best way possible. The projects I had the opportunity to volunteer on were amazing. I can't put into words just how amazing the Grannies and Mama's are, you just have to come and visit to see them for yourselves.

Africken loved it!

Staying here for three months has been nothing but a joy and honor. The staff are so great and the kids are so lovely. I really felt at home here and really saw the impact I made on the kids I worked with through the OVC project. Wonderfully beautiful stay here!

The Most Amazing Experience

If your heart is full and you want to help in a country that is both beautiful and in need of help there is no better place to go besides Capetown...it has changed my life and I would highly recommend it.

Amazing two weeks in Cape Town!!

I had the most amazing time on the Orphan and Vulnerable Care Project in Cape Town. I met loads of lovely people, learnt so much and got to see this beautiful city. The staff were really welcoming and friendly which made it easier for the group to get on well together and were really motivating at the projects.

Volunteer work

I had the best time of my life in South Africa and also on the projects.
I learned a lot about the kids but also about myself.
I recommend this to everybody! If you can, do it!
I really hope that I can come back.

Volunteering in Cape Town (again!)

The Grannies at GAPA will stay with me forever. The Lion House turns into a home within 10 minutes of walking into the door and that is something truly special about this project. The only thing I can think to recommend to those coming here is to ask many questions. Some people are surprised that the project is essentially a full time job.

AmberWazHere's month's worth Of African Impact

Arriving to Africa and the house, the staff gave me a great big hug instantly triggered the feeling of home. The projects really used a lot of brain and will power, creativity and energy and at the end of the day I was tired. Although, that was okay because I wasn't tired from a unsatisfying and boring 9-5 office job. I was tired from a challenging, life changing. exceptionally rewarding experience that could never be found sitting in a chair staring at a screen. There were good days and bad days, but one good day could easily out-weigh 5 bad days and that's why i loved it! The friendships you create feel like friendships you've built in a few years, in just 4 weeks! They are friendships like no other! I would happily do this all over again a million times in a row, with the same experiences, same awesome people and same amazing staff! I have changed in so many good ways that i never thought possible! I'd definitely recommend African Impact 100 times over! :D :D

Amazing experience

I have got a great experiences here. Love the kids and staffs here. The life here was way beyond my expectation. Enjoyed the volunteer activities and the weekend tours. Knows a lot of people and everyone here was really friendly.

Orphan and vulnerable care in South Africa

This was a really worthwhile and rewarding 4 week trip in which you were able to see your inputs and efforts pay off. The children always meet you with open arms and everyone in the African Impact team makes you feel incredibly welcome and at home. It's so nice to see the children you work with progress and start singing songs to you that you have taught them.

My African Impact volunteer experience

My last six weeks in Cape Town has been a life altering experience, from the staff at African impact, to the people of khayelitsha, to all the amazing people I have meet from all over the world. When I decided volunteering abroad was something I wanted to do I had no idea how much that much that decision would affect my life. My favorite part of my experience was seeing the beautiful smiles of the children everyday who at such a young age have already overcome more that most adults will in their entire life. How can these children still see the good in people when the few people who were supposed to protect them have completely fail them is something that has caused my outlook on life to change. Before I came to South Africa I thought I had an idea of what the world was like for other but it wasn't until i saw firsthand some of the challenges that these children have to go through that I realized how lucky I am to have the life I do. while these past weeks have been both emotionally and physically draining they have definitely been the most meaningful to me.

Great volunteer experience in Cape Town

I spent 3 weeks with African Impact and loved every minute of it. The volunteering is very rewarding and it is a great way to learn more about the communities in Cape Town. Each day is filled with smiles, laughter and learning. It was an amazing experience and I will definitely be back again.

Volunteer

I had a very great time as a volunteer at African Impact. I really liked the program at Gapa and Fikelela. You get to know the culture very good and you are working together with the grannies and mamas. Also felt the volunteer home as a real home. Everyone is very helpful and nice.

Lionhouse forever

To say I am sad to be leaving would be an understatement. I have been in South Africa for a little over 3 months doing mostly animal based programs. Getting the opportunity to experience the real Cape Town. There is so much to see here, 3 weeks isn't enough time. The kids are unforgettable and all so caring. The staff are extremely helpful with anything and everything. When coming to the Lionhouse you really become a family, for better or for worse. There is so much diversity in and out o the house. African Impact has helped me develop a strong since of independence and has given me an unforgettable experience for a first time world traveler. Strongly recommend this organization to anyone looking to come to Africa and really have an unforgettable experience. No amount of words or pictures can really describe the time I had here. Its family friendly and I cant wait to come back one day.