Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Orphan Care and Teaching - Victoria Falls

Great experience!

I was in Vic-Falls last year, and I couldn't wait to return this year.
The volunteering was just as fun, and I felt the the impact we were able to make even increased during this past year. The local staff is amazing and very welcoming, and it was great to get to see them again as well.
The group of volunteers was fun to be a part of, and it's always fun to meet new people from all over the world.
I can't wait to come back again when I get the chance!

Great program all around

This is an amazing program that uses a mixture of a top down, bottom up approach in helping the local community and ensuring they can be self sustainable. Everyone who is here has huge hearts to give!

Community project

Extremely well done program, giving you a well rounded perspective. The days were pact with activities and each night you would go to bed being satisfied and ready to give more effort the day after. By the end of the stay you definitely feel changed and impacted in your everyday duties.

Three weeks in Vic Falls

The only thing I regret about my trip was not staying longer.

Making an impact on peoples lives, establishing such extraordinary relationships with both community members and volunteers, exposing yourself to things you have never seen before and trying new things, it was all so rewarding. I'll always carry Vic Falls in my heart and can guarantee that I will be back one day.

A great time!

I really loved my time in Vic Falls. Everything was amazing. Working with a variety of people, anywhere from preschoolers to the elderly at the Old People's Home, really showed me a lot about what life is like here and taught me so much. The volunteer experience really opened my eyes, and I'm so glad I did. The staff worked hard to make the volunteers a family, and it really paid. Plus they try their best to help you enjoy your time off with various activities. Overall, I would highly recommend it!

The best trip ever!

Volunteering with African Impact and its partner Lion Encounter on the Victoria Falls Community project was the greatest decision of my life! Working with the community of Victoria Falls was one of the most rewarding things I've done. If I was at the pre school or the old peoples home, I would always leave with a smile on my face because of how thankful and happy this community is to have us volunteers here. The children you work with on project are amazing. As much as we teach them in school, they always seem to teach us more. I've learned so much just from being with these kids. Volunteering with people from all over the world is great. At first I was a bit nervous to be with so many people I didn't know, but all the volunteers are great. I enjoyed working with all of them and it made the experience that much better. Alanna, the business manager, is fantastic. She's fun to be around and always brings a good laugh to the dinner table, and don't forget her wonderful dog goose. Fiona was my coordinator and she is everybody's "mum" on project. She's always there if you need her and is super fun. Nuppy is also a coordinator and the greatest photographer ever. Don't be fooled by his numerous jokes. The rest of the staff is also amazing! I never once encountered a single rude person here in Victoria falls. Everyone is great! I've enjoyed every aspect about the trip and I will definitely be back!!!

Volunteering in Victoria Falls

I have had such an amazing time volunteering here in Victoria Falls. I have learnt so much and met so many great people. The impact and positive effects the community project has here is very rewarding. The only regret I have is only being here for two weeks, I wish I was staying longer!

My experience on the community project

I have absolutely loved my experience here volunteering with lion encounter. I never have had so much fun while having an incredible impact affecting the lives of others. I wouldn't change a thing about my experience here. The people I have met will be friends of mine for a long time. There is no other way I would have rather spent my last three weeks then being here and working in the community of Vic falls. I truly feel like I have had an impact here and it's amazing to me that it has all been while I've been having so much fun.

A family experience to remember always

Our family of four, including two children ages 12 and 14, spent two amazing weeks doing community volunteering through Africa Impact, Victoria Falls. It was the ideal way to get to know the Zimbabwean people and to feel like we had done something worthwhile. We can't wait to return! We were impressed by the knowledge and hard work of the entire team. I can't think of a better way to be introduced to a new country and culture.

A summary on the time of my life

After spending two months in one of the most beautiful places in the world, with the most amazing people in the world, it's safe to say that i was sad to go. Overall this experience changed my life in the best way possible. the people i have met and the things I've seen are so much better than what i imagined. i have made friends that i will have for a lifetime and learned lessons i will carry with me for a lifetime. i am forever grateful for everything that african impact has allowed me to experience.

My stay in Victoria Falls

This experience has been amazing! I have never had more fun in my life while impacting the lives of others. This project has been completely life changing, and I cannot wait to come back to this beautiful town and awesome project.

Mind Blown!

Volunteering in Africa was something I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember, though in every way my expectations were completely exceeded. Every person I met in Zimbabwe, from cooks and housekeepers to community project managers, lion handlers and the volunteer and admin coordinators were the most friendly people and all so knowledgeable within their respective fields. On top of this, there wasn't a single occasion I didn't feel 100% safe!

I was on the community project so majority of my time was spent with people; primary schools, preschools, the Rose of Charity Orphanage and the Old People's Home. Whether you were teaching maths at Monde Primary (I had 4th Grade!), testing out your finger painting ability at the old people's home, teaching sounds at Reading Club or simply hanging out with kids on a Saturday at the orphanage, every single second spent on project was so rewarding. You could really see how what you were doing was contributing to the short and long-term goals of African Impact.

An awesome highlight was, thanks to the flexibility of African Impact, despite being based in community, I also got to dabble in the other project areas- walking with the lions on several occasions and being apart of the research projects like game counting and even a camping trip for hyena monitoring! My days off were equally as amazing. We rafted down the Zambezi and threw ourselves of a perfectly stable gorge three times with the adrenaline combo. We also took a day trip into Botswana for safari and to Zambia so we could quite literally hang off the edge of the falls at Devil's Pools.

Overall the experience was nothing short of incredible- I wasn't prepared for the attachment I would feel for many of the people (kids and adults alike) I met on project and the way they would fill me with happiness even though I was the one who was meant to be bringing them whatever happiness I could by volunteering in the first place. My advice is simple- if you're considering volunteering in Africa- DO IT- I've only been home a week and I'm already working out when I can go back!

The biggest African family

Even though when I was little my parents took me on holidays no further than France I've always had the desire to travel to Africa. So in 2013 when I turned eighteen I left for Victoria Falls Zimbabwe for the first time.

I could have not imagined a more life changing experience, it sounds so cliche but I guess you just have to find out yourself. It's the tiniest things that they do different; the way they share problems and joy, the way even the little kids care for each other, the always 'open arms' mentality, the feeling that there isn't a thing in the world you have to do all on your own.

I remember being at the orphanage for the first time on a sunny saturday afternoon, singing and dancing like they do every week. Enjoying the moment my mind started to wander, until I realized what I was actually singing along. 'We sing together, we are a family, we love together, we are a family', and there I stood in the middle of the biggest and most loving family I'll ever know. Luckily I was able to volunteer again in 2015 and will be back soon : )

PS: Maybe this is good to say. When I decided to go to Africa as a volunteer there were so many places and organisations to choose from. One way or the other I ended up with African Impact in Victoria Falls, this program just had all the elements in one. From the moment I met the project manager at the airport to the day I left I have felt nothing but safe and comfortable amongst them. As well as the volunteers you share your experiences with, you know from the moment you meet up you have certain things in common it's just a matter of hours before your first friendships are born. I could recommend this community program to everyone going abroad alone for the first time up to experienced volunteers and travellers. Its the gathering of all these different human beings joining forces for the same goal that makes it the best experience ever.

Great Experience

I volunteered in Vic Falls as a community volunteer.
The community projects were diverse, and we really got the feeling that the people we worked with appreciated it. We got to meet so many people that at first it was a bit overwhelming, but after a couple of weeks it already felt like home.
What was really great about the program, apart from the community projects, was that we volunteers were able to go to other projects, and see the research project and help out with the lions. I didn't know that would be an option but it was a pleasant surprise.
After four weeks of volunteering I had to leave, and it was pretty difficult to do. It's amazing the kind of connections one can make over such a short period of time. It has only been a few months since I got back, but I'm already trying to make plans to go again.

Margret review

Along with my daughter, we have three weeks as volunteers in Zimbabwe We did the project in the community.
This project was intended for pre-school, primary school, orphanage, Old people House en help with gardening bij people with HIV
Every day was different and you also see the other projects of Africa Impact
The were three fantastic weeks and definitely worth repeating.

Better then i could imagine

I already visited Africa for a few times, so i knew what to expect. But this trip gave me a new view on Africa. Because you really get to work and talk with the African people and you will visited places you wouldn't visit on a holiday. This trip was better then I expected. There's so much diversity in the project. You get a family feeling with the other volunteers. And you can do so many awesome activities during your free time. I was on the community program in Vic falls. I would really recommend African Impact and this location because you really feel useful and appreciated. African impact is a nonprofit organization and i think that that is one of the best points of this organization.

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

A M A Z I N G

It was the most wonderful experience in my life. It overrated all my expectations. All the others in the house are so nice, the staff is also great! Same about the organisation. Nothing negative to say.. But maybe I still had to get used to the food ;)

Community experience

Volunteering in Africa was way more than I expected it to be. I was given so many opportunities and constantly surprised myself. The staff and other volunteers were all beautiful and warm and I could not recommend this project more!!

Best experience!

I had a great time in Vic Falls. It was great to be able to get involved in so many different aspects of the community, and to be working alongside the locals. The volunteer organisers were always happy to help with anything, and made everyone feel welcome.

Victoria falls volunteer

It was awesome and it is a really good organisation. They've planned everything really good. If you wanna change anything, you can do that. I had a great time with the other volunteers and the staff. Everyone is so friendly!

Community Program

My main goal was, to help the community, and i feel that my experience was a very good and successful, I feel that our work really helped to the kids and the old people that we worked with.
The program was efficient, and our guides and coordinators, Sidney and Morgan, was very kind and full of passion to their work.
Because of those things i'm pleased that i went through that experience.