Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Horse Management & Lion Rehabilitation, Antelope Park

Horses and lions

I've had an amazing stay at Antelope Park. I've loved every single day at stables - the stables members are like one big family to me. And it's been very interesting to learn about the lions and elephants. This stay has been an experience of a lifetime and I've enjoyed every second of it.

Antelope park review

very good!! the food can be better and more info about the lion program, how they live and what the research's working. the people and staff are amazing. very friendly and easy to get to know. would love to come back.

Action packed program

I had a wonderful time in antelope park, attended lions, community and horse stable. It makes me feel very safe from the start to the end. The food also much better than I expected. we have laundry service on site which we can use for free. I changed from lions project to horse project as I did not expected this would be the best stable in Zimbabwe, and lots of horses are racing horses. I managed to get up at 5:30am 6days a week to do the morning round up the horse herd, ( we have more than 40horses here) . To be able to canter on the Africa Savanna is one of my lifelong dreams, and I did it here more than once :)
Also horse back safari is so amazing, you see the games all the time when you go out there. my horse once chased zebra!
All the stuff here are so friendly and helpful to provide whatever information you need and also very flexible as well.
There are so many events and activities going on all the time, bonfire party, Halloween haunted stables. movie nights, camping night, horse swimming. I had a jumping class today, really enjoy it even though I fell off the horse, but it was not too bad as I imagined, I wish I had book 4 weeks instead of 3 week.
I also went to the Victoria falls with other volunteers as week, which is absolutely stunning, definitely recommend sunset cruise, and white water rafting if you are fit enough, and microflight.
I really enjoy teaching school children drawing as well, they are so sweet.
Anyway I am very pleased with my trip and big thanks for all the stuff in the antelope park.

My time in Zimbabwe

This is my second time to AP and it was even better than last time! I have spent 3 fantastic months at the park where i volunteered on both the community and horses combo projects. Both projects were interesting and extremely enjoyable while, being complete unique to another .The park and its staff were equally awesome creating a great environment to stay in.

Amazing three months at AP

My time at Antelope Park has far exceeded my expectations, with an endless supply of experiences and opportunities to do things that I never imagined I'd be able to do. From walking with lions, playing with young cubs, watching the wild born cubs in the release sight to swimming with horses and learning to play polo crosse. The people here are welcoming and in no time feel like an extended family, and it is an experience I wouldn't change at a place I don't want to leave.

So good!

I will definitely come back again. Everyone was so nice and you get friendships for life, this is definitely something I would recommend. So in all I had a very, very good time. The staff is super cool and the other volunteers, so many new friends from the hole world :-)

horse management zim

i was originally on horses and lions but totally fell in love with stables. the whole atmosphere at stables is amazing. Ted and Kelly are so much fun to work with and i enjoyed every single day with them i guess thats one of the reasons why i ended up being at stables all the time cause i didnt wanna miss a day there. Ted is incredible with horses, honestly i have never seen someone being that good with them. i enjoyed riding out in the bush and learning a lot from Kelly and Ted. i am gonna miss all of this !

Awesome time!

I had an awesome time joining the Horse project at Antelope Park - how can horsesafaris not be? The horses were great and I learned a lot about riding and horse care. The staff at stables were really good at making us feel like a part of the team, but also making sure that we had a lot of fun - playing polocross, swimming with horses, cantering trough the bush and so on. There is not a day where I don't wish I was back at Antelope Park!

Amazing!

Had the best time here! Met the most wonderful people, both volunteers and staff. A huge thanks to Ted and Andrea in the stables. They made everyday fun and exciting and made sure we all had a great time. Great project if you love horses and want an african twist to it.

Horse and Lion project

I LOVED the horse project. Ted and Andrea - who ran the stables - were professional and fun and cared so much about the horses and the volunteers, and that made the experience so enjoyable. There were 40 amazing horses to choose from, and Ted and Andrea encouraged us to ride whoever they wanted. They also arranged a wide variety of activities so every day was different - safari rides, round ups, polo cross, cleaning, looking after lots of animals, going on trips. Every day was something different and Ted and Andrea even arranged we went to a showjumping trip in Bulawayo and went out of their way to make that happen, even when there were complications with organizing it.
I liked the flexibility of my project and the fact there were so many other activities to do at Antelope Park - if I wanted to skip an activity or do an additional lion activity or community project the staff there were very agreeable to that, which was fantastic. In general the staff were professional and friendly and created a fun atmosphere for the volunteers. The volunteer environment was sociable, and I felt like there were a lot of places to hang out, which is important as so much time is spent inside the park.
There were a few things I felt could be changed. The food was often bland and repetitive, there was limited options and there was also not always enough food for everyone to eat what they wanted, which was unfair for the amount the volunteers pay and how hungry the days work makes you. I am also pescatarian but was only offered fish once, the rest of the days I had to eat vegetarian and when I did ask for fish I was mostly refused.
The wifi at the location was very expensive, it should have been included in the price. Volunteers should not be spending so much extra for wifi access, $25 a week average is too much.
Additional activities booked with the organization were too expensive. They seemed to want to get as many dollars as possible out of the volunteers, and so many things were overpriced such as an extra trip to Victoria Falls. The transport on the Victoria falls trip needs to be improved. The Antelope Park van had no AC, was old and rattled the whole way. The driver, Innocent, was also often late. The trip felt overpriced because of this.

Volunteer & vacation

I found that the time that I spend in Antelope Park more feels like a vacation than volunteer work. Maybe for some people this is a good thing, but I was there as a volunteer, so for me it was okay if it was more working than for our one.

Unforgettable memories in Antelope Park

Before I came here,I'm full of uncertainties. But when I was actually involved in my program, the knowledge and experience I learned pushes me to grow and the happy time there makes me feel the time flows so fast. I will definitely go back to AP, where is my another home.

Horses & lions

This project was absolutely amazing! I came there with no expectations really, and ended up in a stable with some really amazing horses and people. This is an adventure that I'm never going to forget, and I am very great fun for all the memories and friends I made there.

I enjoyed every second

It was a great program. I volunteered with African Impact 2 years ago and I would travel with it again! But it felt like we had to pay too much many for the trips and wifi. Feels like they're making lots of money from us but we already spend loads to get here and we are working really hard so AP needs less staff. So things could definitely be cheaper!

Calle's review

First of Antelope park is an amazing place with beautiful nature, animals and alot of diffrent activites to do.
I started of as a Volunteer at the lion project and felt kinda useless, when we where too many people for too small or too simple tasks.
Lion project felt at times like alot of standing around, (this will ofcourse change depending on the group size) The treat of the day was a lion walk, an amazing experience other than that lion project wasnt anything for me.
The stable offers a great experience with alot of work combined with alot fun. The staff at Stable is great, expecialy Andrea and Ted lovely people, hard working, inspiring, they both are a major reason why the experience at the stables is really good.

+ Great Nature
+ Food and accomadtion
+ Staff
- To much money making on Volunteers
- At times to many people
- NIL