Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia

Best exposure to the medical field I have ever encountered

I cannot recommend this program enough--no matter how old you are, if you have ever traveled before or not--this was the most fun and eye opening experience I have ever had!

In Zambia, I had the opportunity to work in healthcare, girl impact, and education projects, just to name a few. As a premed student hoping to work in rural, global healthcare, this program completely opened my eyes to the beauty of the communities I one day aspire to work with! I have grown so much as an individual and fallen in love with volunteering. I still have a number of connections with friends made in Zambia and hope to return as soon as possible to be back in my favorite place in the world.

If you are even wondering at all whether or not go make the journey--stop wondering and just go!!!

Changing lives by the fall

A huge thank you to the African Impact team here in Livingstone. Coming from New Zealand to volunteer in the healthcare projects we thought we would be able to see and experience the difference in the healthcare systems compared to back home. But in the 5 weeks we were here we experienced so much more than that. We were able to immerse in the local culture and become good friends with people all around the world. The afternoon community projects were the most enriching and rewarding experiences where we were able to support the community/children by building their skills on literacy, maths, arts/crafts or just simply spending an afternoon having some fun with the residents from the old people's home or playing games at after school or youth club. By far the most humbling experience we have had is teaching at adult literacy club where men and women from the community (often walking for an hour from home) would come in the afternoon and work on their English skills. Another memorable experience for us was we had the privilege of painting for the children’s isolation ward at the Livingstone General Hospital. During the weekends we were able to walk with lions, fly above the majestic Victoria Falls, raft in the rapids of the mighty Zambezi river and swim in the Angel’s pool before the water tumbles down the 108m high fall. All in all we cannot thank everyone enough for the life-changing experience we have had in Livingstone. Throughout our time here we were extremely well looked after and well fed (special thank you to the kitchen staff who seem to be forever surprised about my portion size even after 5 weeks). We never had to worry about transport or getting lost. We always knew exactly what projects we are going on and what time we are leaving. We were truly able to volunteer without a worry in our mind. I am so glad we chose to volunteer with African Impact and cannot wait for another African Impact adventure in the near future.

A life changing volunteering experience

I did not know what to expect coming to volunteer next to the grand Victoria Falls. I knew I would be in Africa, I knew there would be some animals and I knew things would be different. Arriving I felt welcomed from the first step into Livingstone and the African Impact crew were incredibly helpful. We seamlessly integrated into the house (at least I thought so) and their were plenty of people from all walks of life. It was an awesome place to work, live and socialise.

Home based care was probably one of the biggest highlights of the project. Through this we were able to see into the lives of patients and how their community and living conditions influences their various problems. Many communities are impoverished and do not have great access to healthcare, even though healthcare itself is free in Zambia. Interacting with the large population of HIV patients and the different problems that it represents in Zambia was eye-opening. There is still a great stigma associated with it but Zambia is trying to make progress and improve the way it deals with this terrible condition. We also met passionate caregivers who really are the pillars of home based care and are doing a great job in healing their community. I feel I really made a difference and learnt a lot during my time on home based care.

We also lucky to be involved with painting one of the children's wards at the hospital. It was so fun and I hope that it brings joy to the children who many end up there and will have nice animals and sea creatures on the walls to keep them company during what they may think is a scary time in hospital.

Lastly, living in the house is great. It is like living at camp for an extended period of time. You meet so many new friends and get to explore the great collection of activities that Livingstone has to offer - the spectacular Victoria Falls included. You form long-lasting friendships and develop a new appreciation for luxuries at home as well as learning from the other volunteers, staff and most importantly the communities within Livingstone.

It was an unforgettable experience. I will miss Livingstone and everyone I have met here. Thank you for everything. Zikomo kwambiri!

Enriching and extremely fun experience!

I had such an amazing time being a medical volunteer with African Impact in Livingstone, Zambia. As a student nurse, I practiced and gained many skills which will help me in my professional career and personal life.

Healthcare & medical project, Livingstone, Zambia 2016

Volunteering with African Impact on the Healthcare & Medical Project was an amazing experience. At times it was confronting and challenging but overall it was engaging and fun. It was an experience I will never forget :)

Amazing trip!

I honestly had the best time of my life, thanks so much guys! I learned so much about myself and the Zambian culture. Everyone was so wonderful and I felt so welcomed. I wish I could stay forever and I'll miss you all x

The most rewarding experience

I spent two weeks here volunteering as a medical volunteer. It truly was the best experience of my life to date. To be able to help and make a positive change in vulnerable people's lives who are a lot less fortunate than ourselves was incredibly heartwarming and rewarding. I will remember this experience for life. The people I have met along the way have definitely made the experience even greater. Such a fantastic opportunity.

Amazing experience!

Would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to do something challenging, fun, and out of their comfort zone. I learnt so much, got to meet some amazing people and immerse myself in the culture I wouldn't have had the opportunity to otherwise as a standard tourist!

Health program

This was an amazing experience that I would definitely repeat. Everyone was very very nice and the volunteering program was very enriching. I really hope I can be part of this again in the future and return to Zambia as soon as possible.

African time

One time i forgot the watch at home so one man said to me "white people always forget the watch, african people always forget the time" and it is true, here my time stop for 6 amazing weeks.

Michael's African Impact review

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at African Impact. I can honestly say it has been an experience that has changed my life in so many ways. The hard work of the staff and reachable goals are amazing!

The single best experience of my life thus far!

African Impact has given me the most unique and impactful experience I could have ever imagined. Here in Zambia, I have met people with the biggest hearts I have ever encountered, and having an opportunity to give back to this loving community while also gaining hands-on medical training has forever changed my life.

Have a meaningful experience in an amazing place

Working with African Impact has really opened my eyes to the possibility of doing more volunteer travel in the future. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and the program is run very effectively. Working as a medical volunteer, I felt like I could make a difference in peoples' lives, even if it was just a little bit of help. Afternoon projects, such as running reading and math clubs for local schools, were another great way to connect with the community, and to gain some valuable teaching experience. I would recommend African Impact to anyone, and they have many other locations if this one isn't what you want to do.

One of the most amazing experiences in my life!

African Impact was such an amazing experience. The staff was so friendly and helpful, Livingstone Backpackers is a beautiful place to stay, and the friendships I have made here will last a lifetime. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to make a sustainable African Impact.

Great experience

Volunteering in Zambia has been one of the best experiences of my life! The people working at African Impact in Livingstone are great - they are informative, helpful, and really take care of you and want you to have the best experience possible. The projects are chosen thoughtfully, and every location and program makes an impact on the community. Also, there is a great balance in projects, so volunteers can experience all aspects of the community, for example schools, clinics, living communities, old people's homes, and more. And, the community of volunteers and staff is close and I've met some amazing people staying here!

2 weeks = not nearly long enough!

I was a medical volunteer in Livingstone, Zambia for just two weeks during my break from university. I wish that I didn't have obligations to be back because this experience has been incredibly eye-opening and I've been dreading it coming to an end. With previous medical experience as an Emergency Medical Technician, I really felt as if my work and volunteering projects had a great impact on the local community of Livingstone. Between going on Home Based Care visits with local caregivers, assisting in the clinic setting, or on various community projects in the afternoons - I can say that African Impact was incredibly well-organized and ensure each volunteer has a meaningful experience.

Our Time in Livingstone

From the start, when we were corresponding w/ Elizabeth and Jen, we felt as though this was going to be such a rewarding experience. It was so much more. We loved the work we did, the people and Africa.

Medical and Community Development in Livingstone, Zambia

My time in Livingstone was better than I ever could have imagined. I wasn't sure what to expect from African Impact. I had done a volunteer trip to Peru several years ago with a different volunteer company and found it to be treated as more of a tourism trip than volunteer trip. I was worried it may be the same with African Impact (AI). I was 100% wrong. Everything AI does is for the community, with clear goals and visions for each project they do. We came home everyday exhausted and excited from the work we had done. If there was ever an issue we saw in the community that we felt needed addressing, AI would go above and beyond to help the person and situation. I'm going home with an even greater love for the people of Africa and a really strong desire to come back and do this again with AI. A month flew by way too quickly. I wish I was staying much, much longer.

Amazing!

I received a lot more out of this experience than I had anticipated. The diversity of the projects is amazing and they all make their own special impact on the community, though they're all equally sustainable and helpful to the locals.

Best 2 months

I spent 8 weeks as a Medical volunteer in Livingstone for African Impact. As a Medical volunteer I and my fellow volunteers were assigned many different tasks - we were helping out in clinics - registering the patients, weighing Babies, observing the work of the clinic officer, giving an extra hand at the farmacy and so on. It was incredibly interesting to work in the clinics and learn more about the Health care situation in Zambia and the current status and spreading of the HIV-virus. We also got to do home based care where we followed a trained local volunteer from the clinic, out in the compounds around Livingstone. We visited and treated patients in and outside their houses, taking care of wounds, having Health-talks and simply encourage the patients to live a healthy Lifestyle, go and get tested for different diseases such as HIV.

During the afternoon we had different Projects, we had math- and Reading club. We helped out on farming in a local Community and also worked closely together with a Community of disabled families, building a greenhouse out of recycled bottles, and teaching the members how grow and sell organic crops, in order for them to become more independent.

I felt this work was incredibly rewarding, interesting and Eye-opening. It gave me a new perspective on many things, and not a day pass by without thinking of the people I met in Livingstone.

Outside the volunteering time I also had a great stay, our accomodation (Livingstone Backpackers, a nice hostel with a Lovely garden and pool) was located only 10 km from Victoriafalls. We paid many visits there, Went on safaris both in Zambia and Botswana and much more.

I would definitely recommend African Impact to anyone seeking for a genuine and rewarding volunteering experience.

Linn Appelgren

Amazing Volunteering Experience

My experience here in Livingstone, Zambia has been amazing. Everyone is so supportive and helpful. You never feel alone especially out on project, it is always totally safe and you're well supported. Arran and Sandar were amazing, they were always there whenever we needed anything and were super supportive. My overall experience was great and would recommend it to anyone looking to make a difference in a safe and supported environment.

Great experience

The time during these 3 weeks went over too fast. Every day is different and like a new adventure. There are so many different impressions, good ones and sad ones as well. During the time as a volunteer I learnt a lot in different parts of the life, just from the community projects during afternoons but also from the medical project in the mornings. My time in Livingstone as a Medical Volunteer was amazing and I can recommend it to everyone!

Life-changing experience

I came to Livingstone to give, but I am leaving with so much more than I had when I first arrived six weeks ago. The experience of volunteering and being in Africa is truly life-changing. Because of the strong coordination of projects and the continuous arrival of new volunteers, the projects really provide a strong improvement. The impact of the work we do here is so much bigger than I thought it would be. Besides the volunteering, the social life and living accommodation is very good too. A beautiful house, delicious and varying meals and all the resources you need nearby. To end with I would like to mention that the other volunteers here made the experience complete. From so many different backgrounds but all with a passion to help and have the best of fun!

Life changing

This experience is very life changing and really changes your perspective in many situations. I highly recommend African Impact especially if you are passionate in trying to impact somebody's life.

Awesome experience!

My stay with Africa Impact in Livingstone has been incredible, the accommodation and food were both wonderful and all the coordinators and other volunteers were very welcoming and always happy to give advice or help with any questions I had. The home based care projects I was involved in were very well organised and we were able to help many patients with the help of the caregiver. The clinics are a little more chaotic but it was still incredibly rewarding to be able to help out there. I can't thank the coordinators here enough for the most unforgettable experience!