Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Healthcare and Lion Rehabilitation Combo Project

You can't leave Zimbabwe the same person!

I had an amazing time. The people and staff who I worked with at the Clinic and at the Park were some of the most friendly, polite and genuine people I have ever met. Even the volunteers I have met, have left a lasting impression on me. I have formed new friendships for life. The staff at the Clinic were so appreciative of everything that we helped them with. Whether we were weighing babies, counting tablets in the Pharmacy and packaging it, dressing a newborn baby, hanging out with HIV positive kids and doing an HIV awareness day for them, taking heights, weights and blood pressures of pregnant mothers, supporting a mum during labour complications, working in the outpatient clinic, helping with remedial reading at a school and seeing the little kids light up everytime you walk into their classroom, walking with lion cubs, riding on an elephant's back, kissing a baby donkey, meeting some of the most wonderful elders in the Gweru community who had lost their farms, but have no bitterness or resentment towards anyone, feeding a lonely, isolated elderly woman who had no family taking care of her and seeing the joy in her eyes when she received a small packet of meat - how can you leave Zimbabwe the same if you experience all these wonderful magic moments. I have grown as a person. I will go back. African now has a bigger part of my heart.

My time as a volunteer

My time here in Zimbabwe working as a Volunteer was just outstanding. I got the chance to learn about the African culture, meet their people and make friends with them. Either the people in Antelope Park or in Town, they are all amazing and super friendly. I had the pleasure to meet so many people from all around the world, bonded with awesome personalities and made friends with them. Those people made my stay here in AP even better, we had such a great time, lots of fun and awesome conversations. The projects are really interesting and I loved it to work with the kids and young adults, the gave so much back and they literally warmed up my heart. I hope I made an impact in their lives, just for being here and spend time with them.
I also love the lion project, the cubs are so cute and just awesome, Research in the afternoons was very interesting and i learnt a lot about lions and their behaviour. One of my favourite projects was the Stables project, I got the chance to learn riding in these four weeks I have been here and I learnt a lot about horses and all in all, it was just an great opportunity.

My review

Overall my stay was very good, everyone is very nice her and you get to experience so much. But I wish there were better information online, because you get very mixed information, so you don't know what to expect.

Loved every second

Had an amazing experience working in the community and just generally being at antelope park. Got to take part in so many activities and loved every one of them. The clinic was an interesting learning experience for me and I feel like I helped them in return. I would really love to come back and experience this all again, it is also so great to see the amazing work antelope park is doing with the lions and the local community and I feel very lucky to have been a part of it all. There was nothing I didn't like.

Time to realize

6 weeks in Antelope Park were just awesome ! I have the impression spending like 3 weeks here ! (Time is running soooo fast) I met so many people who were just so lovely !! So many experiences and there were all different ! ( Lion feeding, saw a delivery, teaching the children in a primary school, helping some guys who are in needs..)