Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Girl Empowerment, Livingstone, Zambia

Discovering volunteering with African Impact

As a first volunteering experience, I would definitely recommend Africn Impact. The organisation procures you a safe environnement as well as interesting projects. The manager and coordinators are very attentive to your needs and really try to do their best to make you feel like home and live a good experience.
Concerning the project Girl Impact, i liked it a lot. It was very interesting working with young girls as well as working with older women.

True impact on my time in Africa

Girl Impact (the girl empowerment program in Zambia) truly touched my heart!

I had the opportunity to work with the girls on a number of different fronts, but my two favorites by far were teaching dance class and farming with the girls at a local farm. Both projects were a total blast, and there was nothing more amazing during my time in Zambia than sharing laughter, giggles, smiles, songs, and dances under the sun all day long. I made some of my best friends through this program who were not close to myself in age at all, but our age gap did not matter thanks to African Impact and how they facilitated relationship building between myself and the local girls.

I hope to return soon to continue volunteering with this amazing group of young women who inspire me to achieve my educational goals in order that I may give back to their community!

Great program, great crew, great city

I spent 4 weeks working with Girl Impact in Linda School. Amazing working with the different group of women and girls. Very well developed and organized and with room for my input. Great concern of African Impact with continuation in the community as volunteers leave. I think that is what makes the organization valid and committed to the community. Great staff, coordinators and very welcoming. It is very easy to adapt and get used to life in Livingstone. Soon you become part of the community. Great learning experience, I recommend!

Unforgettable experience

I spent four weeks in Livingstone working primarily on the Girl Impact program although I was also involved on the Building project for a few days. My experiences on Girl Impact were nothing but positive. I felt, as volunteers, we were able to connect with the girls and talk openly about controversial subjects, which they may not otherwise have felt they are able to talk about. I also felt it was important to answer questions they had, in order to clarify and correct their beliefs in certain myths. Overall, I feel the Girl Impact program runs smoothly and has a positive impact on the girls.

Girl impact project

My experience in Livingstone on the Girl Impact project was unforgettable! I was given support and guidance for all of the community projects which I was involved with so I didn't feel uncomfortable or unsure about what I was doing. All of the staff were friendly and happy to give advice about the projects and local area. I would strongly recommend this project and I hope it will not be last experience with African Impact!

My incredible volunteering experience

My time with African Impact has been indescribable. I never would have thought that 3 weeks on project would fly by so quickly, nor did I think I would settle in and think of Zambia as home so easily. Working with various groups of girls and women in the community and working with kids to improve their maths and reading skills has been an incredible experience and certainly one that I will miss. Working on project is so rewarding and the activities arranged between volunteers both inside and outside of the backpackers serve as a fun way of relaxing. I cannot think of how my time could have been improved and I will sincerely miss Zambia and the friends I have made here. Just like many volunteers before me, I am already planning my return!

Girl impact, Zambia

My time spent in Livingstone was incredible. I have always taken my independence for granted, but after seeing what life can be like for some women i have a greater appreciation for how much freedom we have in the UK. Often the girls, all still very young, wouldn't be at our workshops/clubs because they had to go and work to support their family, or stay home and do chores. When asked what a typical day is like, you would hear that they get up, wash their face, wash the dishes and then go to school, if they were lucky enough to be able to afford school.
Before I arrived in Africa I was sceptical about how much of an impact I would actually make, especially as I was only there for a month, not long at all. However I do feel I have made an impact in small ways, for example on Monday mornings we would go with the grade 4 girls to Linda farm to tend to the vegetables they've been growing, but this week a film was being shown at the school. The girls really wanted to go to the film but if they didn't water the vegetables they would likely die, so we volunteers went to the farm in their place and did the work so that the kids could take some time out and watch a film, something they probably don't get to experience too often.