Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Girl Empowerment, Cape Town, South Africa

Why you should take a gap year to have the most amazing time with African Impact in Cape Town

Hey everyone! whoever saw my young age and was wondering what I'm doing in South Africa, volunteering on my own, should continue reading this little review to understand me and to maybe be convinced to follow my journey.
When I arrived in the house i felt welcomed from the first second and strangers turned into my best friends very quick. You going to live together with so many people during your stay who are much older/ younger than you and who may be totally different to you but the lionhouse teaches you to get to know these people and to look deep to find out that they are actually the nicest people.
Apart from the living situation, lets talk about my volunteer experiences. I volunteered for orphaned and vulnerable children in the morning and for girl Impact in the afternoon. I enjoyed both projects but my heart lied with Girl Impact! I feel like I this project is the one where you can make the biggest impact. I would recommend to stay for at least 6 weeks on girl impact to get to know the children and build trust because you are going to talk to them about quite personal topics.
As well as the social skills I earned, I learned to be more independent and aware of my environment.

Don't be afraid and take this journey to see the prettiest city, to make long lasting friendships and to give your whole stay a meaningful reason!

Volunteering in Cape Town with African Impact

Having previously volunteered with African Impact I already knew that they were doing amazing work and wouldn't have considered booking with any other company. I The great thing with the Cape Town project is that they offer project combinations, therefore I was able to spend the mornings teaching at 2 different pre-schools and the afternoons working with local groups in the community as a girl impact volunteer. Every day was new and exciting and there was constant support from the team members throughout my entire stay. I was lucky enough to visit most of the Cape Town projects and adored all aspects of each one. I will never forget my time here; the love and acceptance from and for the other volunteers and the team, not to mention the open hearts of the people we were working with in the communities.

My epic experience

It's honestly the hardest thing leaving the Lion House. Not only the amazing people that you meet that become your family, but also the staff. I have never come across a more successful and sustainable organisation. The African Impact team in Cape Town is truly amazing and i cannot recommend it enough to future volunteers. You get everything; social life, scenery, helping others, a new family, the list is actually endless. Leaving Cape Town with a huge hand out because i know that the amazing work that everyone contributes, will continue to grow and grow. I was lucky enough to encounter one of the most amazing sessions ever on my last day, which will forever be in my heart - giving a dance group of girls a pack of sanitary items, which someone kindly donated. The children/young adults, have so much but the smiles that you receive just from you being present is priceless. This experience is one to never forget, and i am so glad that i got to give out to those who are in need.

Amazing time!

I had an incredible time- the people are amazing, the volunteer work is amazing, and the location is amazing. I became really close with some of the other volunteers, every weekend was super fun and exciting, and the volunteer work was really rewarding. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Great experience in an amazing city

I've had a great volunteering experience with African Impact in Cape Town. The experience included an eye-opening volunteering project as well as the possibility to discover Cape Town and surroundings during weekends/evenings. I also met amazing people from all over the world (you share a house with the other volunteers) which just adds yet an additional layer of awesomeness and personnel development to the overall experience.

Time in Cape Town

I have feel so privileged to be involved with both OVC and GI. GI in particular has been very fulfilling as the range of projects allows you to feel that you are having an impact in lots of diff ways.

AI volunteer abroad review

It have been an amazing time as a volunteer I had a very good time I think the program is very good and very well organized, I think even if it is difficult been so far away from home I feel I learned more about how does actually works an organization and their impacts and goals and I have an amazing experience working with people, especially with children.

African Impact - Cape Town project

African Impact has been a wonderful experience all the way through. The organization was incredibly helpful and informative throughout the booking process. Upon arrival they were nothing short of welcoming and kind. I truly felt like I was a part of the family during my stay in Cape Town. I was able to experience life in the projects beyond my wildest imagination and could truly see the impact and difference I was able to make as part of the team working as part of the Girl Impact team.

Sophie's experiences in Cape Town

This experience was amazing and even more !!!! STAFF are welcoming and make you feel like home ( even if you aren't a native english speaker ) Also, the volunteers that you work with become your friends! The project gives you more than all your expectations. You will meet children who want to share knowledge and give you so much love and affection. Moreover, grannies who make such a great job with the children and you learn so much from them. It was an unforgettable experience and I'm looking forward to come back.

Second time around

As a returning volunteer I felt anxiety coming back to Cape Town. I was worried nothing could match or top my first experience with African Impact. I was wrong. I cannot explain the love I feel for these people and this place. I'll be back. (Again)

The Lionhouse

African Impact in Capetown (Observatory) was the best organisation that i've could pick for my volunteerwork. The staff was so welcoming, such a warm group, with a really clear vision about how to represent their selves on projects. They made sure everything was clear for the volunteers and they put so much energy en positive vibes in the house. They made sure everybody had a smile on their face. The projects were amazing, for everybody something. And again....this organisation makes a difference, because they have this clear vision and think about their effect and their aims. Thanks to this amazing organisation and all of the staff. They inspire people!!

I'm a hummingbird and you should be one too!

So basically volunteering at African Impact was the best thing I could've ever done. Being part of teaching the children at the preschool and seeing them smile and progress every day was turning every day in a good one. Being impressed by the principal, the teachers and all the other staff how they manage caring for these children day to day and teaching and therefore preparing the children for their future life, even with low resources, made the school so special to me and made me want to go there every day with so much motivation.
Now Girl Impact, where to start? Teaching the Mommas english was one of the funniest and special things ever. Seeing them laugh at us, each other but overall with us and enjoying that we teach them made every Tuesday so great! First you might think, isn't it gonna be awkward if we young people try to tech them something? It definitely is not. they're enjoying it so much and they are so eager to learn. And by the way, I'm pretty sure they'll teach you as least as much as you taught them, even if they don't realize it, you will! Being at the Girls and Boys Club will change you in your view of things and will fill you with so much joy! And last but not least the most special Fridays I've ever had. Dance Group will change your mind and hard so deeply you might not realize at first sight. A bunch of people of children over teens and grown ups, will make you laugh, deeply think of stuff and change you in the way you see things. They'll make you for sure happy, laugh and transform you in a positive way.
And being here in the Lionhouse with all these amazing volunteers and staff is a big, big, big plus. Everyone who stays here will for sure make friends for life, either with the most amazing staff or the other volunteers, enjoy every weekend and evening and having the most fun in your free time. Seeing the people around you evolving will make you realize how you evolved. And these people will be the ones who will truly understand your experiences and will always remember them with you. And coming back to the staff, they'll prevent you from feeling homesick as they're making Africa your home. Make sure you don't miss out on these amazing, caring, impressive and fun people!
So as you can see I'm struggling at some points to put everything in words because it's not possible, so to make it short: if you want to have an impact on other's people life and want to help and you don't refuse to be taught in many things and be changed in a positive way and you want to have one of the best experiences you'll ever get in your life, be a hummingbird as I've been, be one of the small persons that might not change the whole world but will definitely change the world for some people and your own. - Be a hummingbird, open your wings and fly out the world to have your impact and meet the most amazing people with and at African Impact!

Cape Town volunteer 2016

I was able to spend two weeks volunteering in Cape Town on various projects. Overall it was a very good experience. It was a bit harder to adjust than I expected just because it was quite out of my comfort zone but I'm very glad I had the opportunity. African Impact is a very organized group.

Cape town adventure

Just before i came i was so afraid, thinking over and over again how it would be, which people i would meet and if i would have a great time... now i can say that it was one of the most amazing decisions i have ever done! i found Cape Town just amazing, the people you meet here is so friendly and caring i have done friends for ever, it was fantastic discovering myself doing a huge change in this country and the people living on it. I think going out of your comfort zone is the best thing you can do, discover how big and powerful you are, the impact you can actually do in the planet and how much you can contribute to the world it makes you feel GIANT!! there is nothing that can stop you!! i feel very blessed to have the opportunity to get to know lots of people! i met more than 25 volunteers from all over the world, more than 100 south african kids, grannies, teenagers... i am leaving with lots of amazing memories, lots of love and a bigger heart.

Incredible African Impact

My first experience volunteering with African Impact was incredible. The experience is what you make it as you are given the freedom to shape each day and the activities how you see fit. The staff are incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and respectful.

Wonderful volunteer trip

I had a wonderful time volunteering in Cape Town. This was my first volunteer trip ever and I'm so glad I chose the project here. Girl Impact and Teaching projects provided me a chance to get to know many different community partners and work with people of all ages. I highly recommend staying in Cape Town and working with so many people who are passionate about making a real impact in the communities here.

4 amazing weeks!

I never had worked with children before and I have learnt so much. It was wonderful to experience so many different things like going to after school programme, supporting Orphaned children and helping mamas learn English. Working with the dance group really showed me how people live in the community. It was nice to live with so many people from different countries and you get to know each other very well - it feels like a family.

Megan Ciafullo experience in Cape Town, South Africa

Every aspect of this trip was amazing. From volunteering in the townships to social outings with the other volunteers, the experiences I had were life changing. I would love to come back and volunteer for a longer time in the near future!

Girl Impact and teaching program

Not only girls were targeted but also the boys as African Impact wants to promote equity of gender.
We visited different communities during the week and talked about puberty and HIV.
I was also involved in the teaching program in different preschools, helping kids learning about colors, shapes,...
Talking to them in English will improve their scholarship and a chance to find a better job later in their life.

My experience on the girls impact project

With African Impact, I definitely got what I expected- to work closely with local community leaders on female empowerment and teaching. I was also able to contribute what I intended to the project. This experience was truly life changing and has taught me so many valuable things about African community life, which is truly special and absolutely priceless.

My SA adventure

Even prior to arriving in Cape Town to join African Impact, I felt confident in the company and the journey I had planned. I had continuous contact with the destination specialist who was able to work with me and my 'last minute' booking requests which put my mind at ease being my first trip to Africa.
The staff in Cape Town are great and things never appear to be too much trouble. It helps knowing that they have all volunteered previous so are aware of how it feels to head to project for the first time.
As with all trips, it's hard to know who else you meet during your stay however, I've been lucky that there have been some amazing people during my 5 week stay in the Lion House!
Project life is an interesting one. It can be tough some days, but others are incredibly rewarding - it is what you make of it though.

Life-changing experience changing lives

I came to study abroad to South Africa, so I spent six months and a half here. I decided to spend my last month volunteering in Cape Town with African Impact. I had been to Cape Town twice before and I absolutely fell in love with the city; however, I didn't really get to know any place outside of the city centre or the peninsula. Therefore, volunteering with African Impact in Khayelitsha allowed me to get to know an entirely different side of the city and its people. I mainly came to volunteer for their Girl Impact project. Overall, I had a great time. The project is fairly new so there's still quite some room for improvement, but the staff do attentively listen to and take your suggestions into account. My favorite part, though, and I didn't expect this at all, was my morning project. I chose to do the Orphaned and Vulnerable Care project, so every morning we would go to a foster home. I had never worked with kids before mainly because I didn't really like them. Nevertheless, it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I am so glad I did it. My only regret is that I didn't spend more time here, but I highly recommend this experience to everyone.

Rosie's review

Although I only spent two short weeks here in Cape Town, I feel like I've seen and done so much. Although finding it initially quite overwhelming arriving alone and settling in, I've had an amazing time and will be very sad to leave. Wish I'd learned more Xhosa in advanced especially for the teaching project to help with communication. After a crazy first week, I feel like I've just found my feet and will really miss the people I've met along the way! Feel like I've learned so much in such as short space of time. Intense but amazing!

Mid-30s career break

Taking a career break in my mid-30s in one of the most beautiful cities in the world was a tremendous challenge and a gift. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful, interesting, diverse and fabulous city to live for 2 months in. I woke up and walked outside and saw the mountains every morning and was happy being in such an amazing place and taking advantage of all this wonderful city and country have to offer.

Of all three Girl Impact projects I participated in, Cape Town challenged me the most and presented the most difficult situations to volunteer in. There were a lot of tough days, but the days that were good were so good. Through the struggles, I learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of. I left my career and my home for 6 months to figure out my future path, and a combination of being here in Cape Town and facing the challenges is actually what made me realize and find my calling.

Social impact in the community

Overall experience I can't quantify in words. Working with the kids at Fiks and girl impact project is an experience that will be part of me forever and would be cherished, I hope the legacy continues.