17 Carlton Close Noordhoek Cape Town, Western Cape 7985 South Africa
South Africa: Kwa-Zulu Natal
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
On our Elephant & Rhino Research and Conservation Project, you will live in the heart of Thanda Private Game Reserve in Kwazulu-Natal (near South Africa's East Coast. The focus of this project is to monitor the Elephant as well as the endangered Rhino populations.
Your role as a volunteer will include:
* Monitoring the behaviour, feeding patterns and movement of a herd of elephant who were released into the park in early 2011.
* Monitoring the rhino population to support the data recorded by the anti-poaching team during the day. This will help the reserve managers to understand the health of the animals, which are part of an endangered species reintroduction programme.
* Capturing data as required by the reserve management team on their ongoing endangered species work
* Finding and removing snares. This is a vital part of the anti-poaching effort within a park
* Carrying out physical work to help regenerate natural bush from reclaimed farmland including the prevention of further soil erosion and the removal of old structures to avoid injuries for animals
* Contributing to the long term strategy of removal of Alien Plants from the park
* Live in the heart of a Big 5 game reserve
* Carry out research on elephants and rhinos within the reserve to provide information for the Thanda Foundation
* Monitor the movements and behaviours of an old herd and a newly introduced herd of elephants
* Assist on conservation initiatives within the Park such as alien plant control, soil erosion and snare sweeps
* Assist on game capture if and when possible
* Visit Pongola Nature Reserve to monitor their endangered Black and white rhino population
* Be involved in biodiversity studies and monitor the elephant and rhinos movements, eating habits and interactions
No previous experience is necessary for this project - just a passion for wildlife and conservation!
USD 1855 +
* The project fee entails financing that goes directly back into the project that you are involved with via the Thanda Foundation
* Transport between Durban airport and Thanda on Sundays only. We will arrive at the airport for 10.30 and leave at 14.30
* Orientation program, including a security briefing on living within a Big 5 game reserve
* All daily transfers to and from your projects during your stay
* Full board and lodging, which includes 3 meals a day at our volunteer house
* Assistance at your projects by African Impact staff and volunteer coordinators
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Independently or in Groups
2 working days
We truly believe in making a difference and empowering our volunteers to do the same. We work at harnessing the incredible power that comes from helping others and using it to effect long lasting positive change on local communities and the physical environments in which we work. We take a holistic approach to the implementation and running of our projects. We always aim to integrate ourselves into every level of the community working from grass roots to local governments. We have a core emphasis on learning and empowerment for all involved - changing the lives of people in the communities we impact, our volunteers and all African Impact staff. We are proud of the close relationship we have with our charity, The Happy Africa Foundation who are contributing profoundly to the quality of life of so many underprivileged people.