Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Community Tourism & Enterprise Development, Kilimanjaro

I wish I could have stayed longer

I struggle to think of a better three weeks of my life... The people running the projects and everyone looking after us here in Moshi are remarkable - so dedicated, organised, friendly & supportive. The quality of the food has blown my mind and the students involved in the various projects have stolen my heart. I really wish I had booked for a longer period of time, I think I would have had an even bigger sense of achievement, if I had. It is an experience you will always remember and never regret.

A rewarding and inspiring volunteering experience

I volunteered in Moshi, Kilimanjaro for three weeks on the Community Tourism and Enterprise Development project with African Impact. It was one of my best decisions yet. Moshi is a great town located near Mt. Kilimanjaro. Tourism in the area is booming, however the local people cannot benefit from it as they lack the necessary English and tourism skills. As African Impact offered a programme which gave volunteers the opportunity to teach English and tourism skills it immediately caught my attention.
Upon arrival, I received a thorough induction during my first week both about my project and the wider work African Impact do for the community. My first class was spent with Maasai, teaching them to read and write basic Swahili. I spent my second class with the Maasai, some of the members of the tribe had come together to form Pukorret which is a cultural performance group meant to unite its members and offer an authentic experience for tourists which would serve as a valuable income generator. I felt very lucky to spend time with the group especially as they were so welcoming and willing to share their culture and personal desires with me. I was given responsibility during my time with the group; I produced a leaflet which would be distributed to local businesses to help spread the word about the group. I really felt that my skills and interests were put to good use; African Impact will tailor the projects when they can, to suit individual interests.
My final project was spent with some great students at the local tourism college. African Impact has a structured programme for members of the community to learn English and tourism skills to help secure employment in the sector. The student’s enthusiasm and dedication for learning was amazing. With a structured curriculum, it made lesson planning a breeze as I knew where the students were in their learning and how I could best develop their knowledge.
During my three weeks, (which was not long enough) I gained so much from the tourism project which was my initial reason for choosing African Impact, however I learned that African Impact do so much more for the community and global development goals. Some of my favourite memories were those I spent visiting the Wazee, an elderly resident home, providing shelter and food for those who had no relatives to care for them. I am so glad African Impact are supporting and protecting the residents by fundraising to build a security wall as they are frequently subject to theft. I was left feeling richer every time I interacted with them. There is so much more that African Impact does for different members and groups of the community which would be impossible to mention in this review, their passion for development and empowering local communities has inspired me to do more and become involved with development in some way.
With regard to the staff, they are very knowledgeable, approachable and dedicated. Some of the co-ordinators live with us volunteers in the house, so they are always there to answer any questions or concerns. The volunteer house is like a small community in itself and the people do become your family for your time in Moshi. Sharing with fellow volunteers is great; it is good for sharing ideas as well as socialising with them at the weekends in your free time. The trips you can go on are fantastic and there is so much you can learn about the local area.
Overall, if you want to help educate, empower and enrich people’s lives, African Impact are a fantastic company to choose and the volunteering experience will definitely shape your outlook and attitude on life for the better.

Best Experience Ever!!

Volunteering on the Community Tourism & Enterprise Development project was such an amazing experience! This was my first time in Africa and I loved it so much that I extended my trip by two weeks so I was in Tanzania for a total of two months. As a part of this project, I taught two different classes how to develop their own business model for a walking tour company and I taught English and customer service skills to students at Matumaini Mapya Tourism College. I also spent Friday mornings teaching business skills to and making crafts with the wonderful ladies of the Tumaini Women's Group which was always a wonderful way to end the week.
When I first signed up for the project, I was apprehensive about teaching these classes since I had never taught a class before. However, the staff at African Impact were amazing in supporting me in the classroom by teaching me how to write lesson plans for fun and interactive classes that really benefited the students, as well as the teachers. The best part about the classes were definitely the students. I really enjoyed getting to know them and I still keep in touch with them on a regular basis.
I also greatly enjoyed spending time with the other volunteers and staff members when we were not on project. Everybody was so friendly and just so excited to be in Tanzania working on these projects. There were always awesome people with you to go out and do fun things such as going on safari, exploring the local town of Moshi, and climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Overall, I had an absolutely amazing experience!! I have definitely fallen in love with the people of Tanzania and their country, and I plan on visiting Tanzania again as soon as possible.