Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war Volunteers and local kids playing tug of war

Big Cat & Wildlife Research in Kenya's Maasai Mara Reserve

Naboisho conservancy

Had a great experience here with lots of fun work with animals and lively people working here! I will definitely come back again and can't wait to do so! It has been the best two weeks and I would recommend others coming here not only for the experience but for the good that they do here.

Masai Mara project

Fantastic experience, it has been great taking part in the masai Mara project! We had the opportunity to help preserve and impact the culture, nature and wildlife I the conservancy. All staff and persons working with the project has been most helpful and competent.

Wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone

Such a fantastic two weeks, I was just sad it wasn't longer. We went out on game drives each day to monitor the wildcats, elephants and raptors and every two days some other work to benefit the conservancy such as grass monitoring, road repairs or fence building. We also interacted with the student guides which I was really happy about, they're all incredibly impressive and the amount of information they are able to store is mental! The accommodation was good, basic but certainly no complaints. The food was excellent (Emmanuel is amazing) and I learnt so much. I would seriously recommend this project to anyone. It's a great way to not only learn about the fantastic wildlife and local community but also contribute to it and experience it up close in a way that's really rare.

My African Impact experience

I really enjoyed every moment of my stay, and got to meet some really friendly people, including not only other volunteers, but also all the staff and the students at the guiding school. We also got to see some amazing wildlife, and were always told very interesting information about all the animals we saw. The food was always excellent. The other activities, such as road repairing, really brought us volunteers together as a community.

Amazing experience. Always again!

I had a wonderful time at the Masai Mara Camp. I have been to South Africa before, but I have never seen as much wildlife as I have on the game drives with our wonderful guides Francis, Joseph and David. We interacted with the Koyaki Guiding School students and Caroline explained to us what we have to do game counts, build fences, do road work and monitor the grass for, so I am going home with the feeling that we did make a little difference - to the Community Life and the Maasai Mara Conservancy. On top of all this the food chef Emannuel prepared was delicious. It is a hard place to leave!

The first volunteer experience in life

This is my first time in a volunteer project, and i don't regret choose this project as my first one. I learn a lot during this two weeks, and I really appreciate it. I think I will come back to africa one day, sooner or later.

Meaningful and comfortable experience

It's my first time in Africa and franking speaking, I was kind of concerned about the safety and healthy issues here, but along the way from the initial communication with the colleagues and officers to the following days staying here, I feel the whole adventure is comfortable and meaningful. The staffs here are friendly and the hardwares are good, not to mention the volunteer arrangement. Strongly recommended if you are into the wild.

More than expected

Of course I had big expectations about this project, and worries too!!, but I can say that everything I saw and did was much more than I expected, so I can only say thank you all in Naboisho! I would surely recommend it!!

One new experience in traveler life

It is a new kind of experience for traveling, it's something that we learn from local people who really want to preserve their homeland.
wild animal is sth that i was astonished, the landscape of Kenya is AMAZING.

Big cat

I had a really incredible experience on safari. Staff was amazing. Unfortunately my mother was sick back home so I had to cut my trip a week short. Hopefully I can reuse that week at a later time.

Big 5 African Impact

We have had a fantastic experience over the last week.
Facilities were comfortable, Emanuel the Chef has been preparing delicious food, the programme designed is perfect to get exposed to wildlife and nature. Our guide Saruni was extremely knowledgeable and thought us a great deal about the environment and the conservancy.

Big 5 volunteering

Visited the Africa impact volunteering program in Kenya. It was an incredible experience. The people involved are at the highest level of professionalism. The work has great impact on the conservancy and as a bonus I saw all the animals I could have wished for.

African Impact's impact

I had a great time at the African Impact project with Caroline, Francis and the rest of the team. I was made to feel very welcome at the camp. I spent 4 weeks with them. The wildlife was amazing. The people were incredible. A very rewarding experience.

Third time in Naboisho

The first two times I volunteered here were wonderful.This third time I stayed an extra week and it was absolutely fantastic!

This project ROCKS!!

I strongly recommend African Impact's Big Cat Research Project in Mara Naboisho Conservancy. The staff at the project are outstanding, especially Caroline, the manager; Soila, the housekeeper; Emmanuel, the chef; and Francis, the guide. They are all incredibly professional, knowledgeable, helpful, and (perhaps most importantly) patient and understanding. The animals in the Conservancy were also extremely cooperative: the lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, giraffes, hippos, etc. all enabled us to collect tremendous data and get outstanding photos!! :)

Wonderful

Amazing experience related to all projects like cheetahs, lions, elephants and others. Going to the primary school in Ole Sere sharing our knowledge and experiences with the children. Doing the conservancy works and data collecting. Monitoring the animals and game counting, all things that I never did before in my life but I met like something really special and very helpful for the improvement of the Conservancy

Staff Superlative. Naboisho Superlative. Need legitimate sense of our impact

The staff was superlative: Knowledgeable, caring, informative, and professional. And fun! The only 2 issues I had were that the feeling possibly our data was not being used and so it lent a sense of making motions instead of taking action. We should be made to feel --if possible -- that the data is being significantly assessed since our group was very driven to identify and input data.If there was some support -- from either a weekly visit of a Professional -- or from posters and updated material, we could be sure the data is being counted. For example, Neils Mogensen of Mara Lion Project came by and made us aware that we mattered and told us what was happening with the local lion prides. ON the flip side, the Identity cards in the camp were 3 years old so How accurate could we be when looking at elephants or cats that had photos taken years ago? Many had new scars and many may even be dead. I suggested an app that could take a photo and input a waypoint on the GPS and then let the pros tell us who the animal is. (Talk to mapbox or Google. They are happy to help!) I wonder how accurate a bunch of amateurs can be anyways and what it might do to data if they input a lion being in one place but in fact he is off hundreds of miles away killing cattle! Another idea would be to help school kids clean up villages of debris. It would be educational on many levels. If possible the plastic & bottle clean up might accrue to the schools income. But I am just riffing. Anyways, it is an amazing experience and I hope we helped. I am also happy to post info about the program in my High school (St Paul's) and college (University of Pennsylvania and Wharton Business school) Alumni Magazines -- which I have already started. Since my college was Ivy league and the high school quite prestigious, I hope you will get some business. Maybe those "groups" would be good to target market. More people need to learn more about Kenya's Conservancy and community based conservation. It should be replicated in America's West!

Finally, I cannot recommend more highly all the staff. While I shout-out our guides Joseph and Francis, and our leader Caroline, I think all of them were just amazing and could rank above most staffs at any Ritz Hotel. All the more so since the program is in a place with no wifi and pit toilets. They should be recommended. I will be back... and I am happy to market it as best I can in New York City.

Already planning my return trip!

This project was unforgettable. You will not want to leave - 2 weeks was certainly too short and I will be booking my placement again as soon as I can! In short, this project will set your spirit alive, every day as exciting as the last, every challenge met with a great attitude and a smile. You will make new friends and new magical memories. Naboisho Conservancy is breath-taking, between the animals, the scenery, the incredible, clear sky and the people you meet. Take photographs with your eyes more than anything because what you will experience here you will not experience anywhere else in the world!

A real African experience in more than one way

When joining this project, you will experience the real Africa both when it comes to nature and the fantastic wildlife that this conservancy has to offer, but you will also learn about cultures that might be very different than your own. The staff here is fantastic and will really make you feel welcomed and comfortable. I can list cow-blood drinking Masai farmers, tribes and Kenyan politics as well as lions, cheetahs, buffalos etc. as new things I learned in the passed week.

A great experience!

Being part of the Masai Mara Conservancy Project has been a great experience!
Even though it is sad that animals is endangered, and that monitoring therefore is necessary, is it a very unique opportunity.
Both seeing the animals in their right habitat and having the feeling that you make a difference is part of why this project is such a great experience. The staff has played an equally important role, and you would have to look hard in search for more caring, smiling and embracing people than these.

Unforgettable experience

The whole experience was absolutely amazing! It's incredible how much you can learn and experience during just 2 weeks stay. Every and each day was a perfect blend of conservation and community activities, which gives you a great satisfaction of achieving something important, helping both wildlife and community. My personal highlight was big cats monitoring, I could have sat there watching and photographing them forever! I believe this project is a really unique opportunity of making a positive impact on gorgeous Kenyan wildlife. I can't thank enough people who made all this possible! The professionalism and excellent guidance of the team made this experience very special and absolutely unforgettable. I really hope to be back one day!

Masai Mara Impact

The Masai Mara Big Cat and Wildlife Research Project delivers an enriching volunteer experience that brings you closer to the culture of the people and the breathtaking beauty of the wildlife than you ever imagined. From building fences as a means to slow soil erosion and wildlife monitoring in the woodlands and open plains, to learning from students at the guiding school next door, everyday presents opportunities to observe, learn and participate. With the engaging project team so open to teaching and sharing, you quickly feel like part of family. You will leave inspired and grateful, knowing how much more you gained than you contributed.

Incredible experience!!

I spent two weeks with African Impact working on the conservation of Big Cats. They have been two of the most memorable and exciting weeks of my life. I arrived on my own knowing no one but this did not matter as I hope gained wonderful new friends in my fellow volunteers and in the amazing team working here. The game drives were outstanding, every night we witnessed something new and each day was a thrill! It was so lovely to feel like we were making a difference to the conservation by building stick fences and monitoring the animals. Apart from that we were able to gain an insight into Maasai life by visiting the local primary school and the Guiding School. I have learnt so much and every single person I've met here has been beyond welcoming! I will definitely be returning in the future.

Our African Impact Adventure!!

Heading from a wet, cold, wintry England to a warm welcoming Africa - what more could you want? From the moment we met Lincoln and his team we were welcomed into a new world. We arrived at our new home, so simple in the bush, with everything we could want - even a hot shower every day!! Game drive followed game drive, each becoming more exciting as we became better at spotting animals for ourselves. The fact that the information was to be used made each trip more worthwhile and relevant. We matched our photos of lion whisker spots to photos back at camp and excitedly identified different animals or started information gathering for new. Even the sight of a dead elephant surrounded by scavengers afforded only excitement. We headed out twice weekly to make erosion fencing but never managing to master the art of the machete!! Having been out in monsoon like rain one day and seen the effect of rain on the roads we hope to have made a small difference. The cheetah family, lone male cheetah and elusive leopard were all special moments. We saw lumbering elephants with the mothers fondly waiting for the calves and giraffes journeying across the plains. We spent time with the children at Olesere helping to teach them about wildlife and how important it is to the Mara. The guiding school returned whilst we were here and we have spent quite a lot of time with the aspiring guides. Some of the highlights of our time here were sitting at mealtime eating the great food prepared by either Emmanual or Vincent talking to the team here. We learned so much. We feel so lucky and priviledged to have had this experience. Thank you everyone.

Fabulous adventure!

My time at Naboisho Conservancy as part of the Mara Big Cat Project has been brilliant. I have enjoyed every minute and learned so much about the wildlife, wildlife management and local culture. The other volunteers have been lovely and getting along is easy as we have a shared passion for wildlife. African Impact Projects are very organised and made easy for volunteers. The manager of this Project, Lincoln, has been fabulous in ensuring the smooth operation of the Project and creating an environment that allows us to volunteer effectively while having a unique and amazing experience. He is always willing to share his knowledge (which is very broad and in-depth about the wildlife, wildlife management, culture and issues facing African countries. The encounters that I have had with the wildlife are beyond what I expected. I love all animals, small and large, but have been awed by the elephants and the big cats and lion kills I have been privileged to witness. We were also lucky to have Dickson, a local Masai, interning here as he was able (and willing) to share so much of his culture with us. The chef and cleaner here have been wonderful - always good nutritious food and clean living. I am very grateful and extremely happy to have been here. I will be sad to leave tomorrow and intend to return. If you love nature and are thinking of coming, do!