Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Volunteer in Mexico

Oaxaca is truly unforgettable

Volunteering in Oaxaca was one of the best experiences of my life. My program helped me interact with indigenous Master artisans who taught me many valuable lessons about Oaxaca's culture and about their indigenous heritage. Oaxaca itself is a very rich source of cultural knowledge and colorful experiences. After exploring the markets, trying chapulines, meeting folk artists, and going to museums and galleries, I now consider Oaxaca one of the most beautiful cities in Mexico. After my volunteering experience at Casa de las Artesanías de Oaxaca my only concern is to go back as soon as possible to Oaxaca again. Everyone was very warm and helpful at Casa de las Artesanías de Oaxaca and they guided me throughout my volunteering experience. Adelante also did a great job at finding very centralized housing options, and providing guidance and suggestions for my time in Oaxaca, like assisting to Guelaguetza, a beautiful tradition in which all the regions of Oaxaca showcase their traditional attires and dances. In summary, I can't wait to go back to Oaxaca again.

Archeological Archivist (Volunteer)

I'm here in Oaxaca, Mexico, spending my last two weeks in bliss!
I'm sad that 2 months have gone by so fast, but all worth it for the experience I've had making new friends and exploring a career field of interest. As an art history and anthropology student from Canada, I had the opportunity to work at the archeological site of Atzompa not far outside of town and even come into close contact with Zapotec archeological pieces dating back to hundreds of years. I'm really happy to have invested my time with Adelante and working very hard in order to achieve this long-lasting dream. I will miss the food, music, and festivals when I make my way back!
Best luck to all future volunteers and intern takers who decide to come to this beautiful place. Te quiero mucho, Oaxaca!

Queiro Regresar a Oaxaca Otra Vez!

I loved my experience in Oaxaca. The city is really neat and the people are wonderful. I was there during the big July festival, the Guelaguetza, and that is the time to be there! The city is always hopping with cultural activities and markets. There is so much to do there and I made great friends very quickly! The Adelante staff were very friendly and helpful, and they were not constantly involved, which I greatly appreciated. They didn't hold your hand, but they were there if you needed them, so I was able to really experience the city in my own way and have my own experiences there. I enjoyed my work assignment as well; I worked a good amount but was not overworked, and I felt very involved. The climate is nice too; it is not too hot and there are not a lot of bugs, and my living quarters were very comfortable and safe. Overall, it was an incredible experience and I can't wait to go back again and again!

Go to Oaxaca

It was really memorable eating the traditional chapulines or grasshoppers! They are sold in every market in Oaxaca!

I chose this program because Adelante had all the requirements I was looking for in a program.

Apartment with 3 other rooms, the rooms were large with a desk and double size bed. The apartment was attached to a house where the "made" lives with her son and is there for you if you need anything. The whole building is guarded by a large gate. Very safe.

Go to Oaxaca

I loved Oaxaca! I had some great experiences there and had some great friends from all around the world in the process. You are immersed in the Mexican culture, all while being in a very safe city. I also felt safe and comfortable walking around the streets of Oaxaca, day or night. The people are very nice and welcoming and willing to share their culture to everyone.