Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Internships in Uruguay

2 months in Uruguay

Uruguay is a place like no other. I may have come here at the wrong time of year (it's winter), but if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to work at a place that really enjoy.
I'm a college student, and most internships that are out there for people at this level just have you shredding papers and getting coffee. At International House I got the polar opposite. They had me observing classes, working with teachers, running workshops, and substitute teaching. I actually have teaching experience now, which is amazing and surprising from an unpaid internship. It helped that I'm a native English speaker, but they actually had me working and were using my abilities and asking for how I felt about the classes and what my feedback was about them. I actually felt like a valued member of the school. How often can you say that you feel valued at an internship?
Overall, it's been a great experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Montevideo experience

I had a great time in Montevideo, the internship was everything I could have asked for with my entry-level skill set. I feel far more comfortable and confident entering the workforce upon my return home. Plus, I have improved my Spanish greatly! Overall, it was a valuable experience.

Sept-Oct. 2015

Montevideo is a great city, but at the same time it is a city. I am not a huge fan of cities so while there are many museums to keep you occupied, it is easy to feel isolated from a cultural experience. My favorite experiences are when I left the city and explored Colonial for a day and Punta del Diablo for a weekend.