Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Internships in Seville, Spain

Awesome Sevillan Internship Opportunity

Adelante set me up with two companies. One was a study abroad program, and the other was a company that organizes trips and events for international students studying in Sevilla. I was in the Marketing sector of both companies, and both gave me a lot of responsibilities and I was an intricate part of the companies. I was given opportunities to learn hands on, and get the first hand experience of working in Marketing. I was taken care of from departing my home city to Sevilla, and even through out my 6 months there. I was able to meet many great people and will never forget my experience. If I could do it ten times over, I would!

Amazing experience

I interned in Sevilla for 3 months in a school working with kids suffering from severe mental disabilities. It was an amazing experience, I learned so much. Sevilla is a great city with so much history and beauty. I also had the opportunity to travel around Europe because I had 3 days off a week, it was perfect! My living situation was great - living with an awesome Spanish woman. I got to practice my Spanish with her every day and it really helped. The Adelante and Sige team was incredible, especially Catherine who helped me whenever I needed something. Overall this was an invaluable experience and i would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Not what I expected

Overall, I enjoyed my time in Seville. It's a great city that is easy to get around and the people are very friendly and helpful. I never felt unsafe and I walked all sorts of different parts of the city. As far as the program goes, I felt mislead. I only had 4 weeks to spend in Seville and I was told it was not recommended to do this program for only 4 weeks, but that it was possible. I was given a placement for the entire four weeks, but was told to attend the language classes on that first Monday, before visiting my internship. Once placed in a language class, I was told the class would only be offered in the morning, which was during my internship time. I contacted the people in Seville (who are not Adelante employees, but a go-between from a program called Spanish Institute for Global Education) and they figured everything out for me. I was not in my internship for the first week at all and was then placed in 3 different situations for the next 3 weeks. So, the program was not what I expected it to be, however, I still immensely enjoyed my time and got to experience 3 different schooling experiences for my internship. My contact people in Spain were fabulous and did everything they could to help me out. The Adelante people I contacted through e-mail were also helpful, but the whole situation left me frustrated. I made the best of it and don't regret my time there at all.

• Adelante Abroad responded to this review August 03, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Thanks so much for the notes below. It is always good to hear that you enjoyed your time abroad with us. It is important to address that you say you felt misled. We take this very seriously! We are not in the business of mis-leading our candidates, nor could we be and still be so successful for so many years (going on 16 years this Fall)
    For the one month Intern Abroad program we both publish and communicate verbally, extensively, that is it not optimal. Candidates who only have that amount of time are counseled to sign up for a study abroad program. The dynamics are so different when walking into a classroom setting vs a work environment. Most companies are not too interested in a foreign intern for really the time it takes to just barely train one! What you write below is exactly what we warn about, to a T. The initial two-week Spanish classes often don’t coincide with internship times, since we are trying to get you into your internship right away. And certainly companies treat a one month intern differently than they do someone who can commit to them double and better, triple the time or more. It just knocks our Intern Abroad business model upside down (e.g. two weeks of classes for 4 hours per day, followed starting the third week by internship 4 hours per day) And again, we try to be very, very clear about this.
    We really do say this often and our goal is that you come away with a positive international experience, in a beautiful Andalucian town, with solid staffing available, in good, centrally located housing, just like it sounds like you have. The staff in Sevilla are trained Adelante Representatives, to be sure, not a “go-between” and have been helping provide this program for near 10 years now. The one month program won’t ever be as smooth as the regular program, and we do advise about this, as you note, but it’s better than staying home that month, we think!

My time in Seville

I had an incredible teaching internship in a pueblo outside of Seville called Dos Hermanas. I taught kids ages 3-13 English. I had a lot of fun with, the age group was difficult at first teaching kids of all different ages and English levels but I learned how to adpat quickly. My Supervisor was amazing. My one complaint about my acutal internship would be that I was an intern but doing the job of a full time teacher with no training at all. I was the only teacher in the school during the summer, my supervisor was an administator of the school but spoke no English so she could not help me teach or give me any pointers.

• Adelante Abroad responded to this review July 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for taking the time to review your program in Sevilla Teaching English this summer! We are so glad that you felt it was "incredible"! The training usually takes place during the first weeks of a foreign intern's placement abroad. In your case the summer ESL program had already begun, with children ready and waiting for classes, so the staff clearly did not have enough time to train you completely. You must have figured it out quickly as you were given an excellent evaluation, even given your beginner level Spanish, by the staff on site! Good luck in all future endeavors, domestic or international and thank you again - Team Adelante

The Great Thing About Options Is...

All of the time I spent getting lost was my favorite past time. My favorite experiences have me speaking clever, novice Spanish with the director as we walk the street in search of something good to eat, while talking about my preferences and all that has to do with what I want to do there in Seville to make the most of my time. Not to mention the long hours in the Contemporary Art Museum, the gorgeous weather and parks and the intriguing Feria de Abril and Semana Santa. Talk about a sight to see.

I heard of the incredible CLIC language program, the many options and the great spot...smack dab in the middle of Seville. I wanted to learn, to immerse myself in the atmosphere and to gather as much credit for traveling on my own as I could, for myself and for the great opportunities that were available. I was also interested in the Journalism track, but I was a beginner in Spanish and chose to go with the school in the mean time.

I chose to live with a family, or stay in a home, for my time abroad. In my home stay I had my own room, the family was considerate when it came to my diet and personal space, were patient with my practice of the language, mistakes and all. I paid to have lunch and dinner prepared for me. They let me use what they had in the refrigerator to make breakfast in their kitchen, too. The program had a car paid to take me from and to the airport. I had a trip to Ronda, to Cadiz, as well, with the program. I always had communication with the director, Blanca, and was invited to meet other students, as well as take more classes. I took two weeks in Giralda to learn basic Spanish and a dozen different days with other teachers. They were very nice.

The great thing about options is...

Either in the offices of the languages programs, in the hallway of my internship at the school, on the streets alone or with another person of the program, I felt a support like no other. Every staff person I was introduced to, I felt like they were there to be there for the student and for the program. The directors were inspiring, very helpful, have great advice, very fun to talk to and take a walk with, even to work in the same room as. The communication with the staff and internship was great, everyone was very helpful, willing, kind and clear, honest with my and that was really nice and motivating to say the least. I had plenty of time outside of the program to get lost in Seville, to get things done on my own and to relax, have fun, etc. I was invited to things left and right by the program, and people through the program, and I enjoyed the options to travel once every few weeks. It was nice to meet other incoming students, too, to show them around and be welcomed to do so by the director and staff. The language schools that are connected with the program are very nice, too. I love options and they had many and I was aware of all that I could do because of the amicable and thoughtful people that worked in the program. The number of hours in the internship were no too much and the school was very flexible and everyone there invited me to the events and out to tea and coffee, too. I felt very welcomed and was always told that it was my decision, which was nice.

Internship Placement:
I went to Giralda and I unluckily attended a class with a bunch of students that did not want to be there very much. The teacher was also not very motivating as she had no interest in any language but Spanish. I would have rather attended CLIC! I know of its wonderfulness.

I really wish I would have been reminded that I could change home stays. Their lifestyle was grey and unhealthy compared to mine and my needs and it took away from the second half of my time in Seville. I am grateful for the option to change however and I am aware of the fact now.

I would have loved to be introduced to younger Spanish people my age, instead of the trips with the other English speaking students. It was really fun to be around the intermediate students, all the same. They spoke more Spanish which was great and really fun to participate in. I'd like more opportunities like this.

The staff were really kind and the director, Blanca, was intelligent, helpful, fun to listen and talk to, too. I really liked my Spanish teachers through Sige, they were there because they wanted to be! It was really fun and motivating.

Lots of people throughout the night in the centre. Night life is awake and bumping. I walked home at 10 and 11, even 2 o'clock in the morning where there were people and lights and I felt safe. People were nice and gave personal space.

Social Life:
Very energetic, friendly, open, funny, musical, too.

Internship in Sevilla

I was an intern at Fundacion Triangulo, a non-profit organization that advocates for LGBT rights in Spain, for three months and had a pretty good experience with both the people there and at Adelante. It is a very independent program which is both good and bad, meaning once Adelante arranges an internship or study abroad for you they do not take great troubles to keep up, although they are certainly there in case problems emerge or you have questions. Nobody holds your hand though Mary Alice was my Adelante representative in Sevilla and she was an incredible resource, welcoming and knowledgeable. She has lived in Spain for a very long time and knows the ins and outs of spanish life and culture, and helped me get acclimated to a very different lifestyle. I was not expecting life to be all too different from my life at home and was in for a big surprise. Spanish culture is beautiful and at times strange to an outsider, but that is the fun of it I suppose! Sevilla is an extraordinary, graceful city with so many layers of history and so much to explore. I was lucky enough to be placed in a homestay with a girl who I grew to become good friends with! I would go again to Sevilla in a heartbeat, especially to see my friends at Fundacion Triangulo. I'm not sure how much the internship itself taught me versus experiencing life in Spain, but I certainly learned a lot and to me that is the most important aspect of any experience.

Sevilla

I would have rather lived with a Spanish family (instead of other Americans) and be completely immersed. I also would have appreciated more continued study at La Giralda Center; maybe instead of 2 weeks at the beginning, a stead 3 days a week for the whole program or something like that.