Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Internships in Scotland

Psychology research in Scotland

I could not have asked for a better internship opportunity than the experience I had here in Edinburgh. All of the people who we interacted with for our program were so friendly and helpful- our landlord, the Adelante staff, as well as the professors at the University. Our living situation was spectacular- right off the Royal Mile! Even though we had to climb a decent handful of stairs to get in and out of our flat, the downtown location made exploring so easy. The actual internship program at the University was absolutely outstanding. We had the opportunity to learn new software, code data, run participants, research new literature, and I even had the opportunity to work with a professor to collaborate on a brand new study. All of us interns had different experiences with research so the professors were very good about molding the experience a little differently for all of us to help develop the areas in which we still wanted a bit of help in. Definitely the right program fit for me and has immensely grown the confidence and ability I have in my research skills. Additionally, the ease of transportation allowed me tons of travel opportunities that might not have been as possible in a less central location. I had the opportunity to explore the highlands, Glencoe, Loch Ness, The Isle of Skye, Manchester, and was even able to take a weekend trip over to Venice. I would definitely recommend this program to anybody that wants to further their research experience in a unique and independent way.

The experience of a lifetime!

I had an incredible internship here in Scotland! The Adelante staff is amazing; they'll do everything they can to make your experience great. I was definitely nervous since this was my first trip outside of the U.S. alone, but the staff did an amazing job making me feel welcome right from the start. The housing and food isn't stellar, however, but overall I had a great experience that I will never forget.

The summer of my life

This program was absolutely amazing. I have learned so much from working at The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School. I was able to see more surgeries than I ever thought I would working in a general practice in the States. I have built ties with the people I worked with and I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to work with these people for 6 weeks. Living in Scotland is unbelievable and I have never been more at home in a different country in my life.

Such a Great Opportunity

This program was amazing! Not only did I get lots of experience in my field of study but it also opened my eyes to new aspects of my field. Conducting research studies really made me think about a different approach to what I am planning on studying. It was exciting and I learned a lot. Not only was the educational part extremely interesting and useful, the location of the apartment they gave us was in a perfect spot in the city and was close to everything. It was truly an amazing experience.

Great International Experience

The friendships I made while in Scotland with other students who had internships through Adelante is what I will remember and cherish most about my experience.

I was looking to go abroad somewhere in Europe, but a semester was too long. The 6 week internship program was the perfect duration and I was allowed to gain experience in my field of study, giving my an international perspective. I was also able to see the country and culture on my own time, and not be on a tight tour schedule looking like a tourist everywhere I went.

Adelante lined up the housing for me and three other American students. We lived in central Edinburgh, just a few minutes from the Royal Mile. The apartment was clean and came fully furnished. The location of the apartment was great for sight seeing and night life.

Great International Experience

The internship program in Scotland through the Adelante program was a good experience. The staff at Adelante is easily accessible and want to help students gain experience and further their education. I couldn't have asked for better living accommodations, the apartment I shared with other American students from the Adelante program was centrally located just off the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. It was a great location for experiencing and indulging in the local culture and events.

A great experience!

Overall, this was definitely one of the best experiences I've ever had. I really got the opportunity of a lifetime here. My supervisors at the internship were all knowledgeable and helpful in my pursuits. The living situation was much better than anything I was expecting. Also you couldn't ask for a better place to visit than Edinburgh. My only complaint is that it is pretty expensive for those that like to save their money, but it is workable.

You learn a lot from an experience perspective

6 weeks sounds like a long time, but you really need more to be able to fully appreciate the culture

Bonnie Scotland!

I had the best of times studying abroad in Scotland. I met and helped out students and professors studying and researching psychology like myself. From them I learned about all kinds of research being done in their university and in the UK.
Outside of work I had plenty of time to explore the gorgeous Scottish highlands and borders! I have never seen such majestic greenery and had such soft delicious scones before. I also had a great time exploring the interesting sights of both New Town and Old Town with good friends I made while living in Scotland.
Overall a memorable time I will always cherish!

Most incredible and fulfilling experience!

Living and working in Edinburgh for a month was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I was able to independently, and with my newfound friends, immerse myself into Scottish culture. Getting a taste of both the professional and the social aspects of Edinburgh was such an enriching experience - it felt like I was truly living like a local. Amazing!

Scotland was the best cultural and academic experience of my life!!

I absolutely loved my time in Scotland! The hands-on veterinary experience was better than any I have gotten in a veterinary clinic in the United States. I also got the opportunity to participate in a research study and will be listed as an author on the study. The program was also very independent which gave me a wonderful opportunity to travel all around the UK and Ireland.

Be willing to do things on your own and appreciate the experience!

The experience I gained from working in Scotland was absolutely amazing. I met so many people and had such a well-rounded work experience. I was lucky that I was willing to do things on my own, however, as the people that I lived with were not interested in meeting anyone or experiencing a different culture. If you are open-minded, interested in meeting new people, and willing to travel alone, it is definitely worth the experience.

the girls that I lived with were not at all interested in getting to know me or do anything with me, no matter how hard i tried. it made a huge impact.

Mysterious Scotland

Edinburgh, one of the most charming cities I`ve ever visited, full of mysteries and warm, open-minded people, who despite the rainy weather, can really make you feel at home.
I studied at the SAC (the Scottish Agricultural College) and I am really satisfied with this experience. My advisor helped me carrying out many different short researches on food policy, consumer behaviour and agricultural economics, coming up with a project almost every day. I was glad I did not have to work on just one single project for the whole period of my stay, so that I could see everything under a bigger prospective. I focused a bit more on the CAP (the Common Agricultural Policy) reform, since it was a hot topic for the European Union at the time, and analysed all the implications of the reform for the main Member States. The data we used to analyse the different policies came from publications of European research centres, official documents of the European Commission and a specific and rare database that the SAC had in its archives. I had the chance to talk with many researchers at the college and from them I`ve always received very useful insights. I am also really grateful for all the help and suggestions my advisor provided me with. I think this experience will be a guideline and a benchmark for my future career.
When not working, in Edinburgh there is plenty to see: dramatic castles, old underground tunnels, beautiful gothic churches, interesting museums, florid gardens and so on and so forth. The highlands are also an unforgettable experience. The landscapes there are so stunningly beautiful that they do not seem even real. The food is not that bad as in the rest of the UK, at least as far as my Italian taste is concerned… The Scottish salmon is a delicacy, then for less sophisticated palates, there is the traditional haggis, which is better not to know how it is made, but it tastes really good, especially with a whisky cream on top! Drinks are much more famous than the food; there are probably more types of beer than the whole Scottish population and it is well worth trying them all!
The accommodation was really comfortable from the second week on, with very large rooms and close to the city centre. I had some troubles during the first week due to an overlapping of students, coming (another girl and I) and going (other students who had almost finished their projects), but nevertheless we managed to survive and after some moving, I got along very well with my housemate.
I would definitely recommend this experience, I enjoyed myself improving my skills at the same time, just a small advice, do not forget closed waterproof shoes and an umbrella!:)

Scotland Observation

I was placed in a horticultural program outside of Edinburgh in a small town. It is a good program, but it is not for everyone. You must know what you want and need to get out of the program and make this known not only to the Adelante staff but also your future advisor(s). Ask questions and don't stop until you get answers or you won't know much more than what is said on the website. It is up to you to make the most out of these types of abroad experiences. Plan your finances carefully as well as food and travel are not included.

Scotland Observation Program

Scotland was a great experience. At 9 am we would catch our bus to go to work. During the 30 minute ride to work, we would talk with each other and the locals. We arrived at work at 9:30 and stayed until 5. At work, we had various projects which needed to be completed at the end of our 6 week stay. The people were amazing and kind. We did have one major problem; it took 3 weeks for us to get wifi at the apartment.