Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Internships in Costa Rica

Intern in Costa Rica

I did the 4 month program in Costa Rica with Adelante Abroad and loved every minute of it. I graduated college in May of 2016 and had not done an internship yet so I started to look up internships in Costa Rica and found Adelante´s website. From the very beginning everyone was very helpful and informational. After I applied, I heard back right away and then made my plans to go. I came with my best friend from college which was very important in our search to find the right program to go through.
Internship:
Adelante partners with Universidad Veritas in Zapote which is still technically considered San Jose but about 15 minutes outside the center of the city. It is a great location because it is much cleaner and safer. It is also walking distance to San Pedro which in my opinion has the best night life in the area because there are a lot of universities located in San Pedro therefore you can go out and meet locals your own age. I took two intensive Spanish courses before being placed in my internship. Adelante was really good about questioning you on the things you want to accomplish in the work place before making your placement. I graduated with a communication degree and a minor in Spanish. I was placed in the Study Abroad office of the University I attended for the first two months which was a perfect fit. The people in my office were great and I lived super close to where I worked. I definitely feel like this internship is something I can put on my resume!
Homestay:
Absolutely amazing, I lived with my best friend in a house with a mamatica very very close to the University. She cooked great food and was very welcoming. She made it very clear that her home was our home. We were a little nervous going into a homestay because we were 22 years old and have not lived with a ¨mom¨ in over 4 years so we were worried about being able to keep our independence. We got lucky with our mamatica because she was on the old side so she was around when we needed her but stayed to herself for the most part. She was awesome because she only spoke Spanish so we got a lot of practice with her.
Overall:
Costa Rica was an amazing experience and I would have stayed forever if I could. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning a new language and culture. I am definitely going to take away so much from this experience!

Mi experiencia Pura Vida

I participated in 2 months of Spanish courses and 2 months of internship at Universidad Veritas. What an amazing experience! The staff at Veritas was super friendly, helpful, and accessible. The professors were wonderful both inside and outside the classroom and it was great doing my internship with the University's social psychologist.
My homestay was very clean and only a short 5 minute walk to campus. Mama Tica also made la comida más rica! On the weekends I traveled to the beautiful beaches and explored the rainforests. What a beautiful country with amazing people. I loved this experience!

This was an amazing experience overall!!!

This was an amazing experience! After returning to the USA I want am considering moving back to Costa Rica after graduation next year to work.

International Internships for Independent Candidates

The Adelante Abroad program in Costa Rica is one of the most economical programs out there and has been running smoothly and successfully for 10 years now. To get the most out of it, be prepared to collaborate and engage with your new "home" not just wait to be told what to do and where to go - come live and learn and work with Ticos!

Internship Placement:
Adelante includes 3 weeks of intensive Spanish language classes for two main reasons: 1) 4 weeks of Spanish costs more and 2) many candidates only come for 2 - 3 month total, so we want them to get into their internships right away. Candidates take these 3 weeks at an accredited University in CR, and upon completion will receive sealed transcritps that they can apply when they return home, for 60 hours of Spanish. Some months candidates arrive when the 4-week course starts and then end a week early, other months candidates arrive a week after the course starts. Either way they take a placement exam and receive full accreditation for those 60 hours of classes. Adelante is the least expensive all - inclusive international internship program on the market and this is one of the ways we keep it that way.

Housing in this program is with with a host family, from Costa Rica. These families are screened by our staff and also regularly used for other international students - our candidates are never the first students the families have hosted, which is really helpful. We consistently get excellent reviews on our families in this program. Candidates do have the option to choose "indepenent living" and this means we can help them find a dorm or an apartment.

This is laregly up to each person: Adelante provides a wide open door in the form of airport pick up and delivery to a local families home, plus a work assignment in your desired sector within, usually, a Costa Rican owned or run firm or organization. If a person chooses to come with a friend, live with a friend and intern with a friend while in CR, for example, it may be very hard to immerse.

This program has been running for over 10 years now and is quite successful. Both our staff in the USA and our staff in CR are seasoned international educators and travellers. We are also professionals dedicated to making sure each piece of the program is provided as promised - within each program piece the candidate must engage also, or they won't benefit as much. We can and do open that door, what each person does when they walk thru it is hard to measure.

Culture Shock=Best Learning Experience

Overall an AWESOME program. Extremely customizable, and tailored to what you are looking for. While I didn't expect ANY of what I got, it was all extremely eye-opening, and a priceless learning experience.

Just use common sense, leave valuables at home, and take SMALL bills, travel in groups, etc.