Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Internships in Chile

A Great Option For Internships

My most memorable experience with respect to the Adelante program would undoubtedly be the opportunity to work at Chrysalis (start-up company development program) at a major university in Valparaíso (a short commute by subway). Americans used to the sort of sort, file and collate internships that unfortunately are typical of so many domestic positions would be amazed by the quality and importance of assignments you'll be offered in a program like this. Working with active Chilean lawyers and legal professionals I got to translate real contracts and internal documents while contributing research to ongoing investigations to ongoing research at the university. For me the chance to participate in this kind of important work was an experience I won't soon forget.

I chose my program because I wanted to continue living and studying in Chile. I had previously studied abroad there twice and have enjoyed every minute of living in this wonderful country. I ended up choosing Adelante because of two critical options that really set them apart. First Adelante offers internships in the legal field (amongst a catalog of other options). Quality legal internships can be notoriously difficult to find for students not already enrolled in law school. Taking the international route, with Adelante's support is a great option for those looking to boost their legal resume early on in their career. Secondly Adelante offers internships in Viña del Mar. In Chile the vast majority of internships, jobs, school and human activity in general tend revolve around Santiago but I am a Viñamarino at heart and I implore all international intern candidates to consider the benefits of living in this beautiful, costal (and manageably sized) city. Once you've done so you will see that Viña and Adelante is by far your best option!

I lived independently of Adelante, with a host family I met during my first semester abroad in Chile. It is worth noting that if you choose this (or a similar) option, Adelante will automatically refund you the portion of their fee that is allotted for accommodations, a degree of flexibility that does not exist in just every program.

A great option for internships

An internship abroad with Adelante is quite simply and experience and an opportunity for which there is no substitute. The chance to gain real work experience abroad, in the country and job sector of your choice is, I think, is invaluable to any ambitious, internationally minded student or young professional. Despite the inherently complicated nature of such an undertaking (coordinating travel, accommodations, placements etc.) Adelante makes it as easy as possible with their friendly and supportive staff of hardworking professionals both on site and in their state-side office. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking to study or work in Chile. For me personally it was one of the better decisions I have made.

Chile is like nothing you've ever experienced

Memorable experience was the fireworks on the beach of Viña during NYE 2014.

I chose the program because I found them the most reliable and easy to communicate with.

Single bedroom in a three bedroom house with two other housemates. Gas powered stoves and showered, don't use too much hot water or you'll have to shower cold and no one likes a cold shower-well most people don't.

Chile is like nothing you've ever experienced

Hi.
I'm Jonathan. I was taking part in the adelante program from december 2013-May 2014.
I graduated from Uni in June of 2013. I'm half Chilean though I was born in the US and never had a chance to visit Chile and it's something I've always wanted to do.
I knew that I wanted to continue working in PR and advertising as it's something I became truly passionate about over the past 2 years. So after my interview with the program's director Kimberly she had just the right place in mind. She told me about my internship placement in Valparaiso with a small but hustling business incubator called Chrysalis. When I met the staff there in December I felt a vibe that would keep me motivated to get as much work done as possible.
The staff at Chrysalis are all young and most are post grads while some are still finishing their thesis as Uni for a student in Chile can take up to 7 years to complete.
I specialized in Audiovisual production. Which at the end of the day meant that I would be working with the businesses that had been incubated and make videos for them. From a simple 30 second product demo to a 5 minute video over a biomechanics product used by a bioengineering team named Infratec to detect the level of Parkinsons in a patient.
I loved the work environment and after I finished my classes at the International Center I decided to intern full time. True this limited my overall travel experiences in Chile but for me it was incredibly important that I begin to pump up my resume and portfolio. I don't regret going full time at my internship one bit, when you do something you enjoy the hours you spend in it shouldn't matter right?
At the end of my work I had become close friends with the office and I still keep in contact with them. Especially now that the world cup is going on!

Aside from the working aspect is the social aspect, everything not related to work. Vina del Mar is wonderful, the better beaches are further north going towards Renaca and Concon. It's very easy to get between the cities in Valparaiso bay. 20 minute bus rides from central Vina and you're in the heart of Valpo or the coast of Concon. Traffic though can be a little crazy as it seems that everyone enjoys speeding..
The food everywhere is delicious. I never found a bad restaurant. The quality of the vegetables are top, the same goes for the seafood and meat (at least until you have an asado in Argentina...) but there are plenty of supermarkets and fairly cheap to buy good produce on the corners outside the supermarkets. New Years was amazing, spending it on the beach with friends and thousands of others who come from all over Chile and South America to enjoy one of the best firework shows in South America. It's memories like that that last a life time and I have plenty of those from Chile.
Remember how I said I'm half Chilean? Well guess what. I got to see an uncle and his family who I've never met before who live in Limache which is the last metro stop leaving Vina going towards Limache (duh!) and my time with my family there was precious as I learned and experienced a lot of what it feels like to be a part of a real Chilean family. Chileans are incredibly loving people and they will care for you if you treat them with respect and have an open heart and mind to their culture. I would recommend this program for anyone, especially because Chile is a growing nation and has a strong economy and it shows as there is construction nearly every kilometer in any direction haha. I love Chile and I hope you consider it too because it'll be an abroad experience like nothing you would expect.

Adelante is a terrible middle-man

Adelante is a waste of money. If you plan on doing an internship in Chile, go directly to the International Center (internationalcenter.cl). Adelante did not do anything for me and I've realized since being here that the International Center takes care of everything and plans the internships.

The house is not as advertised. I have had problems with a leaking roof since I got here, the house often smells like gas, and there are insects all over the house. However, the staff at the International Center has responded quickly to my requests for maintenance, but the maintenance performed usually didn't help. Also, when I arrived at the house it was filthy. I spent 3 days cleaning the kitchen and the living room; there was old food and pop/beer cans under the couch and the couch cushions. I've also noticed the maid eating/drinking my food while cleaning.

The "excursions" that were included the price were interesting, but definitely not worth what I probably paid for them. I could have easily found and done all of the activities on my own.

I don't understand if this review is for Adelante or The International Center. The program administration from Adelante would get an "F." They've never contacted me about anything and I feel like I was deceived by their website. On the other hand, the administration at the International Center has been extremely helpful and friendly.

Student

Get on the plane!

Taking a road trip up the coast to the small fishing village of Horcón, eating the most delicious crab empanadas and sitting on the beach.

I chose this program because of the cost, the area, and the internship offered.

The apartment was 2 blocks from the beach. My own room, kitchen, bathroom, living room with television, dining area. 2 housemates: one local, and another program participant.

Get on the plane!

This was a great experience. From the moment I left the airport in the transfer that was scheduled for me to the moment I walked out of the apartment for the last time, my 4 months in Viña del Mar/Valparaiso were worthwhile. The intensive Spanish courses at the beginning of my time there were extremely helpful. The apartment was comfortable enough for my liking. Maybe it wouldn´t suffice if you are used to being pampered, but I believe it is perfect for time spent living abroad in a country that is on the rise. The internship that I had with a local accounting company was interesting to say the least. I received first hand knowledge of the small business environment and had plenty of time to practice my second language. I do wish the program was a little more involved in the social aspect of your stay, maybe organize some more social events or something. I do know there were some other people who came into the program at different times and were staying in other areas, but I did not once meet the people or know how to contact them. I do recommend this program for anyone looking for a vibrant, new experience outside of their bubble.

I was lucky in loving Viña.

My experience living in Viña del mar was amazing and I'm grateful for the fact that Adelante was able to provide me with the means to make such amazing memories there. However, I feel that much of it happened through luck—the people in my program made every day unforgettable and I made some friends at my internship that made it fun even though I felt a bit useless there at times. Had it not been for those personal connections, I'm not sure my time in Viña with Adelante would have been half as memorable despite the fact that it is a truly fascinating region of Chile.

Internship Placement:
The professor that the International Centre chose for our Advanced Spanish class didn't do the best job helping me feel more comfortable with my Spanish—too much emphasis on random essays right off the bat and not enough on review and practice.

The apartment on 2 oriente was small but fine, my only complaint is that the kitchen had a very small amount of cooking materials (only 1 dull knife for all of us to share, for example).

Absolutely loved the area.

I understand that my supervisor for the radio internship could not have a fixed plan of what I was going to do before I got there, but I felt that there could have been more planning as I spent my entire first month not really helping with much since there was no programming during the month of March (break for end of summer/beginning of school).