Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Equine Summer Study in Scotland

Spreading my wings in Scotland

I feel like there are too many stories to choose from, so I am just going to treat the whole experience as one. When all of us got to the college we didn't really communicate with the students already going here, so it was an amazing feeling when I was always invited to go to the pubs with them or even just hangout together and order takeout with a movie after a few days. My favourite night though was the day before they left and we all played soccer together! Definitely a night to remember. This soccer night didn't just include all the American students, it also included the Scottish and the French students that were here. Half the time we didn't even know what one another were saying, but to be honest that was the best part. All you could hear all night was laughter, Scottish accents, American accents, and whatever the French guys were saying! It really was one of my favourite nights this whole trip.

Great time riding in Scotland

This is an awesome experience for any type of horse lover. Basically, you ride horses everyday and then you have an afternoon class. The instructors are kind, warm and sympathetic. I really enjoyed this experience.

Ponies and Scotland

This program was fantastic!! The horses were amazing, the people were awesome and the trips were great too! We went to several places and I really enjoyed how they made it so we could do what we really wanted instead of choosing everything for us.

Scotland 2015

I absolutely loved this program! The equine classes were very interesting and informational. The fitness class was a lot of busy work (I would recommend a computer for access to typing). The instructors were very helpful anytime you needed them. Riding class was a blast and you get to ride different horses to help you develop as a rider. Both the instructors were positive and very smart. As for the culture, you definitely become more diverse. Aside from the Scottish students We got to met some French exchange students and students from England visiting for the Highland Show. Weekends were usually busy bot well worth it!

Equine program

This trip so far has been a blast. Scotland is absolutely beautiful and the people here are extremely friendly. The program plans excursions which are also a lot of fun. I love the horses here and have enjoyed the riding and academics as well.

Scotland 2015

My trip to Scotland was a very enjoyable one. I would seriously recommend it to anyone wanting to study abroad and especially for those wanting to study equine. The interaction with the Scottish students was overall very good. It was very fun to hang out with them and learn our cultural differences. The dances that we attended while in the program were very fun and the trips to the city as well as other tourist sites were definitely very enjoyable experiences. Although the staff were slightly unhelpful at times, the teachers were the nicest people and were always willing to help. Jackie is definitely the best and was like a mother to all of us on the trip. The food was much better than even I expected, however, the dorm situations were not my favourite. We didn't get moved from the smaller dorms into the flats until halfway through the program. However, everyone we talked with is more than nice but there is a significant lack of planning put into the living situations. I was very impressed with the cooking staff who were super friendly and accommodating to those who had food allergies. On the equine side of things, I don't appreciate some of the horses' behaviours at times, meaning that they have some problems being mouthy and spoiled. However, there were little problems with handling the horses and equine handlers tried to work with us to find a horse that best suited our desires and needs. Although I found the riding program to be very slow, the riding staff were very safety conscience for those who did not have a lot of riding experience. Even though I am strictly a western rider, I found the riding to be very slow at times and almost boring for those of us who can ride somewhat in an English saddle. Overall, the riding was a very enjoyable experience.

Scotland for a Summer

I loved the atmosphere here! We went on a few excursions, but there were some schedule conflicts at points in time. I felt like there needed to be more communication between everyone. The classes are a lot of fun and guided really well. Our teachers are always available to help. At the border patrol, be sure to have your letter of acceptance from Oatridge even though we were told we didn't need it. When something is recommended, it's a good idea to go out and get it as well. For example, riding gloves. It's a good idea to get extra money for cab and bus fares. You'll want to go places....a lot. Overall, I'm having the best time of my life!

Scotland for the summer

I have thoroughly enjoyed this program so far. It has been a lot of fun, you get a lot of freedom to explore Scotland on your own, which is amazing. The country is so pretty. Living in the Scottish countryside is absolutely breath taking. The horses here are all very nice. The lessons are all catered to each student's specific skill level. I have really enjoyed this program so far.

My Summer in Scotland

I participated in the Equine Summer School in Scotland study abroad program last summer and had the time of my life. The program included a lot of trips and there was plenty of time to explore on our own. Living in the Scottish countryside for a month was a dream come true. The setting was beautiful and there were frequently horse or dog competitions to see right on campus in the evenings. The accommodations were nice dorm rooms, including private bathrooms. The riding was amazing, and the instructors catered to riders of all skill levels so we were all free to learn at our own speed. Scotland is an amazing place with such a rich cultural history that I am thrilled I was able to experience. This trip exceeded my wildest dreams and I would not hesitate to recommend it. Heck, I'd love to go again myself!

Poor Communication amoung staff but overall great experience

My favourite part of the trip was our days in Edinburgh. There is one day scheduled, but we went in ourselves a few times and had a blast. I loved the Edinburgh Dungeons "ride."

I chose this program because I had a hard time finding equine specific programs.

We had a room and bathroom to ourselves. Twin beds, very uncomfortable. An armoire (barely used), dresser and desk. The shower is seriously IN the bathroom. No tub, just a curtain and shower head. Laundry is ÂŁ3 total and in a separate building. Kitchen with oven, fridge, toaster, microwave and seats. No TV.

Poor Communication amoung staff but overall great experience

I had a fantastic time in Scotland. Oatridge is a beautiful campus with a lot of farmland around it(not near Edinburgh just so you know). There were a lot of complaints but if you keep in mind the fact that you are on a college campus and not a hotel or B&B, the food and beds don't seem so bad! I loved the horse I was able to ride, though some are just typical lesson ponies who like to have their own way. Lessons are not for really advanced riders, and you're very slowly introduced to very low (~2ft) jumping.

You have to come prepared with plans on where you want to go. A few weekends are planned for you but there are a lot of days that you have to figure out what to do for yourself. Luckily the train and taxi services are readily available as long as you have a phone that will call Scottish numbers. !!No one uses Viber!! it's only useful if you want to talk to your family back home.

Our biggest problem was a lack of communication between staff. However, I think that has to do with the fact that our head advisor was on Holiday while we were here, which I don't think will happen again!

Social Life:
All the students pretty much left. There were two boys living in the bottom of the hall that we talked to sometimes, but no one was really around after the first week

Fun in the Rain

Besides it being rainy it was over all a great! i would do it again in a heart beat if i was give the chance!

Review of Scotland

I loved the program. It was not as academically challenging as I expected, and we did not get to ride as often as I would have liked. However, I understand that there is a lot of material that must be crammed into a short time, and the instructors made sure we got the most out of the time that we were here. They did their best to make sure we saw Scotland, that we could go on trips for our classes, and they did their best to accomodate us if we wanted to go somewhere not in the program. Scotland is a very beautiful country, and I would recommending going. Adelante is a little difficult to work with, mostly because their websight is very confusing, and communication does not seem to be the best.

The faculty on sight was wonderful. I love the teachers, they were wonderful. Adelante is a little difficult to work with in the beginning, although I am grateful that they set up the program

awesome

This trip was great! we went on a ton of trips, really got to know Edinburgh, and were constantly busy. The classes were easy but informative. The riding was awesome! I am so glad I chose this trip, I highly recommend it.

The teachers were great and the material was interesting. however, it was very basic.

Summer well spent

Spending the last month in Scotland has been a huge adventure for me. I moved far away from home for college, so this wasn't my first month without seeing family. The program keeps you busy so there isn't much time to feel homesick. Be prepared for lots of horsey time and fun! No riding experience is required, everyone goes at their own pace and the priorities are safety and comfort, they just want you to have fun. The classes aren't always spent in the classroom, often we were up at the yard doing hands on lessons.

Equine summer 2016

This trip has been fantastic! Between the hands-on class work and the riding classes, this has really been a once in a lifetime experience. It's the perfect amount of time, not too short that you don't get to learn anything about the country and not too long that you get home sick. I would definitely recommend this program to any equine science student looking for a study abroad program.

Equine program summer 2016

I have really enjoyed this program. I was worried about taking 3 hour classes, but we were only in a classroom for the full time maybe once. We often went down to the yard to practice naming structures on the horses or practice equine massage. For fitness we also got hand on experience by getting to go see trainers yards, and it was interesting to see how everyone did things a little differently.
The area is also really nice. There are several public paths around the area that you can explore, and the closest town is just a short walk away. You can also be in Edinburgh with a short taxi and train ride. From Edinburgh you can either stay in the city or find ways to go all over the UK or even Europe. You get to stay in a quiet rural area while still being close to a big accessible city.
The staff are also all great. They have all been very kind and accommodating. If you ever had a problem or worry, they were there to help and sort things out for you.

Summer In Scotland

This experience has definitely been a once in a life time trip. I cannot believe its almost over! We have learned so much from our instructors and from each of the horses, as well as being immersed in the culture. This is absolutely a program I would recommend for an equine person looking to get some international experience.

Equine Abroad

A very fun and chill program, academics aren't too strenuous and the riding was fun and there was a lot of it! Horses were great, good for every level of riding, lessons could have moved along a little quicker some weeks but they were good none the less. Exposure in dressage and jumping. Really enjoyed the fitness class.

Equine Summer Abroad

So far my experience has been fairly well. Aside from what everyone has told me, the food is great! Living situations is pretty decent; single rooms, own bathrooms/shower, bed, desk, dressers, armoire. Classes are fairly easy. The dances the school has mixing in with other programs, as well as the Scottish students are a lot of fun! Definitely go and mingle with everyone and learn some of the dances; though you may get thrown around in some. So far the trips are awesome. The sights are incredible, something you do not want to miss out on. Even just finding your way around the area is a great adventure. Do some exploring while you're here. The only major thing that the program is lacking on is the communication. The communication here is absolutely horrible sometimes. Some people hear 'this' and others hear 'that'. When is this happening? When are we going? Otherwise everything is pretty good here. Also, if you hate the rain, cold, no service, and little wifi, this probably will not work out for you. The horses and equine program here is great! You learn so much; learning the different perspectives compared to the United States is incredible and interesting. Cannot wait to see what the rest of this trip brings me!

Summer Equine Program

I love the country and love having the opportunity to see the world and experience different cultures. The main complaint that I have with the program is the lack of communication between the staff and the students. There are never any set due dates and often a lot of confusion. The majority of the time we were confused as to where we were supposed to be and do. Other than that, I have enjoyed my time here at Oatridge College. The campus is breath-taking and the staff is very nice and welcoming, although the communication could be improved.

Dream come true

I have always wanted to go to Scotland and I wish I never had to leave! The program was great and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in horses and if you aren't the Ecology program looks like a blast! I made a ton of friends both from other schools and from Scotland. There are only a few things that I would change, I wish we could've seen more of Scotland but since we were only here a month I understand why. You can explore in the evenings, it isn't hard to get to Edinburgh or Glasgow from campus. There are classes in the morning though so it isn't always the best to stay out late. People on and off campus are so nice and very helpful. You have a lot of say in what you do and even though it was more scheduled than I would've liked I still loved this trip!

Scotland

I would definitely recommend this program to any and all horse lovers! The classes weren't too challenging but there was a lot of written work. There were interesting topics so it made it bearable. The weekend trips to other cities were my favorite. We got to see so many cool places and I loved being able to wander around Edinburgh. Public transportation is sometimes tough but if you get a train ticket and figure out times it really isn't bad at all. The staff at the college are all very nice and helpful. The students at the college were very accepting and were a lot of fun to hangout with and get to know. Coming from someone who had never sat in an English saddle before this trip the riding sessions were very good and helpful. Robert made learning fun yet he still challenged us. Overall I had a wonderful four weeks here and definitely do not want to leave!

Scotland Study Abroad

My overall experience in Scotland was a great and positive one. I enjoyed the classes, the riding and the campus. The staff and administration were extremely nice and helpful. Everyone was welcoming and really did a great job at making our experience here a memorable one.

My biggest complaint: not being able to really get out and about much. The ecology program that Adelante did were traveling all around Scotland and visiting many interesting places. I felt the equine group was fairly restricted in this manner. Classwork was manageable but it was hard to stay dedicated when you are restricted to the classroom.

Thank you to everyone who made my experience here an enjoyable one.

Equine Trip to Scotland

This was a great trip if you are wanted to learn about the UK Equine Programs. The professors that taught the class were the highlight of the whole trip. They were willing to go out of their way to be sure that we had the chance to see all we could in the short amount of time.

Although the program was great, the program layout was a bit misleading. We did not stay in Edinburgh throughout the program but did take trips to town weekly. Along with this there was a bit of miscommunication while we were in Scotland. Many times we found that things weren't able to be done for us simply because people on campus were not communicating with each other.

Again, this is a great program for Equine students in America to get involved in. But if you are wishing to see and be a tourist of Scotland, this may not be the program for you.