ACM - Associated Colleges of the Midwest Header Image ACM - Associated Colleges of the Midwest Header Image

ACM London and Florence: Arts in Context

Why stay in one country, when you can stay in two!!

I studied abroad on the ACM London & Florence trip in Spring of 2010. It was my best semester of college! While I was going for Business and Math at Ripon College, I decided to go on this program even though the credits would not count for either of my majors. I had an amazing experience learning subjects I would have never normally studied - theater, architecture, history, and art history. We attended one to two plays/musicals a week in London (the first eight weeks) and learned about the architecture and history of the city. We stayed in a flat and this is where I only give the living situation a 9 for London - we had the largest group that had ever been on the program that semester and we had 22 people and it was a bit full in our flat. However, the program gets a huge plus given we often had three day weekends to go off and venture on day trips or weekend trips to Paris, Amsterdam, Scotland, etc. We travelled by tube, bus, and Ryan Air! We spent our spring break (8 or 9 days) in Ireland and Scotland and then travelled to Florence, Italy for the last eight weeks of the program. Italy's home stay was by far the best living situation! Real Italian home cooked meals every single night!! The home stays were not far from the city and we could either walk or take the bus. We often walked (15 minutes or so from school to home) and stopped at one of many gelaterias on the way there or home. We saw so many beautiful things and learned the history and art history of the city and legendary families! We also took several trips that were included with the program to Rome, Pompeii, and Venice that fit in with our lessons and then had free time to see the sights. My friend and I made sure to book an extra two weeks on the end of our trip before we flew home to travel to other countries! We both made it to 10 countries on this one trip - it was a life changing experience and I would recommend this program to anyone even if it has nothing to do with your majors/minors!!

Good Program In Florence & London

Great academics, especially in Florence. Unique set up with 2 cities. Difficult to integrate with local culture because all classes were with same 20 US students.