ACM - Associated Colleges of the Midwest Header Image ACM - Associated Colleges of the Midwest Header Image

ACM Costa Rica: Field Research

My semesters in Costa Rica with ACM were...

My semesters in Costa Rica with ACM were probably the most formative period in my life. My career as a geographer is largely made possible by perspectives on real life in another country that I gained during that year. The fall Latin American Culture program made me a Latin Americanist and the spring Field Research program made me capable of doing field research. I can't think of another experience, career-wise, that has had a greater influence. I am deeply indebted to my gracious host family for this, as well as to the broader ACM community for maintaining such a rich and stimulating social atmosphere over the years.

Linguistically enriching, Academically broadening

It was extremely immersive Spanish language program which allowed me to do a directed independent research project over the course of a semester.

A great learning experience in an awesome country.

The structure of this program was the best part. The first month is spent in San Jose, taking Spanish classes and writing a research proposal. Then the next two months are spent in a rural part of the country conducting independent research. You returen to San Jose for the last month to write the paper. It was a really great balance that allowed for a lot of growth.

Costa Rica is a great country with a ton of fun stuff to do. It is really easy to travek around and all of the lovals are super friendly and welcoming.

Finishing my major while still having fun.

I studied abroad in Costa Rica and was able to get kits if academic credit doing it. I received 16 credits, 8 of which applied directly to my academic major, and I was able to complete an independent research project that I will use as my undergraduate thesis. Other than the academics portion, I learned a lot of SPanish and slept more than ever have while I was in school. The program was very laid back, the people were nice and accepting. And there were few situations when I wanted to go home. Overall, a good experience!