ACM - Associated Colleges of the Midwest Header Image ACM - Associated Colleges of the Midwest Header Image

ACM Costa Rica: Community Engagement

My semesters in Costa Rica with ACM.

My semesters in Costa Rica with ACM were probably the most formative period in my life. My career as a geographer is largely made possible by perspectives on real life in another country that I gained during that year. The fall Latin American Culture program made me a Latin Americanist and the spring Field Research program made me capable of doing field research. I can't think of another experience, career-wise, that has had a greater influence. I am deeply indebted to my gracious host family for this, as well as to the broader ACM community for maintaining such a rich and stimulating social atmosphere over the years.

Study Abroad For People On The Fence

A great program for people who want to get a taste of what living in Costa Rica is really like without having to commit to a full semester. I loved my host mom, Anabelle, and all of the host families on this program knew and talked to one another, providing a great support network for the students (many of whom had never been out of the country before!). The classes were typical Spanish language lessons, mixed with interesting historical lessons about the country and outings to major landmarks around the country. Home base is in San Jose, the capital city, and outings take you from coast to coast and everywhere in between!