ACLAS (Andean Center for Latin American Studies) Header Image ACLAS (Andean Center for Latin American Studies) Header Image

Customized Spanish Immersion and Homestay

On my own in Quito, Ecuador

I had the opportunity to study and volunteer in Quito, Ecuador. Although it was only two weeks, I definitely feel like I had an AMAZING experience. ACLAS developed a course of medical spanish / grammar and literature for me and I learned so much in this short amount of time. I also had the opportunity to volunteer at Campamento Cristiano Esperanza with kids during my time there. I was placed with a family whom I still keep in contact with which were super sweet and made sure I was doing well during my stay. Aclas would also help me find places to explore around the city like Banos which is a small town with a ton of things to do. Before leaving on this study abroad trip I had no idea what to expect. I felt like I would come home with more knowledge not only about school but also about how to move around the city. I was on my own for the first time, scary at first but in the end I knew I could find my way around and fell in love with Ecuador. I met so many great people here and definitely plan on going back to visit or work as a nurse in one of their hospitals. ACLAS is a great program which I recommend to anyone looking into it. I remember the first day I was there they took me on a City Tour and said to me, "Don't see us as your teachers, see us as your friends. If you need anything, feel free to ask."