Academic Studies Abroad Header Image Academic Studies Abroad Header Image

Study in Viña del Mar, Chile with ASA

Nothing bad to say at all!

My time in Chile was the most amazing experience of my life. The entire time there I learned more about myself, others and what makes me happy! If you like nature, nice people and want to learn Spanish, go!

Vina Del Mar

I loved Vina del Mar. My experience here was completely life changing. The advisors I had said that it would likely be one of the best times of my college experience...turns out they were RIGHT! Just go for it!

There needs to be better integration of Americans and trouble with academia

I really enjoyed my time at the University of Viña del Mar in Chile. The problems I encountered there were minor. However, in the interest of improving the program, I will express what I felt. The administration was great; the only problem I had with them was that for the first week (orientation week) the Americans and non-native Spanish speakers were separated from everyone else. I understand the reasoning behind this, as very many from the group had little to no experience with Spanish. However, it meant that we didn't get to meet the native Spanish speakers (Mexicans and Spaniards). In terms of academics, the program was so-so. The classes at the Spanish Center (for the international students) are very easy, whereas the classes at the main university were very difficult. It would be better if there was more of a middle ground between too. That said, I loved every minute of my experience in Viña del Mar!

Life-Changing

I adored spending time in Viña del Mar, Chile. The host family that ASA placed me with was great, and my professors at la Universidad Viña del Mar were exceptional. I loved travelling to different cities such as La Serena and Pucón, as well as the day trips taken to Santiago. The two cities bordering Viña (Valparaíso and Con-con) are easy to get to and fun to explore! Chile is an incredibly diverse country culturally and geographically and I adore it's people. In my personal experience, Chile is highly underrated in the United States, known only as "that one long skinny country in South America". But living there for four and a half months has completely broadened my world view.

Quite the experience.

My experience with ASA in Viña del Mar was a good one in the sense that I learned a lot of things about myself and about Chile. Although my particular living situation wasn't the greatest, I know some students who had a wonderful host family experience, and they even cried when it came time to leave. The school work is manageable, in my opinion, and there's help all the time if you need it. When it comes to traveling, having a decent amount of money is best. I would say you'd need between $2,000-$3,500 if you REALLY want to get into traveling. It sounds like a lot, but I can tell you it's worth it. I didn't get to travel much because of my lack of money, but the traveling I did do was amazing, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The people you meet and the places you go-it can't be topped. The night life was great, and I always felt safe. I remember walking home at about 3 am by myself, from a bar back to the apartment, and I was completely fine. Although a few of the students did get robbed, I never did, and it's just a matter of being smart with your things so that things like that don't happen. On a personal level, I didn't like how consumerist the city was, and I felt as if there was a lack of culture. It is true, in a city you will find consumerism, but it bothered me how much like the U.S. Viña appeared to be. I also didn't like how they used English words for things that had a word in Spanish, but I suppose that is part of their culture. Overall, I would say my time away was good for me, and I can't wait to do it again!