Academic Studies Abroad Header Image Academic Studies Abroad Header Image

Study in Sevilla with ASA

If I could do it again

The experiences I had in Spain will stay with me forever. I loved everything about my program, the city, my internship and school, and home stay. I am working for my schools study abroad office next year and plan to recommend this program to everyone I can.

An Unforgettable Semester in Spain

I would recommend studying in Sevilla, Spain without a doubt. I did not want to leave. I feel in love with my family that I stayed with, the friends that I made, and the ambiance of the city. ASA was absolutely incredible. They were so helpful, informative, and caring. You were not just a number with Nicole or Alejandro. You were made to feel important and heard. If you love adventure and new experiences, studying with ASA in Sevilla is perfect for you.

Sevilla with ASA

Wonderful experience, highly exceeded my expectations. From the moment I was greeted at the airport by Nicole to my last day in Sevilla, I had the most incredible experience with ASA. Nicole was the most incredible director and I truly believe I chose the best program out of all the other ones offered!

Seizing Sevilla

My experience is one I'll never forget. Being able to live in Spain and immerse myself into the language and culture truly has given me a better outlook of the country and culture itself. The most rewarding experience was being able to teach English at Colegio Claret! Such a life-changing experience

Greatest Experience Ever

This was one of the greatest experiences of my life thus far. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to participate and for all of the wonderful people that I now call my friends and family. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world! I look forward to traveling more in the near future.

Semester in Spain

My semester in Spain was one of the greatest experiences I ever had! It is something I highly recommend to anyone and Sevilla is a great place in Spain. Sevilla is a beautiful city and unlike the major cities, you still get a feel of real and authentic Spanish culture. It's really easy to make friends and since I lived so close to the center, I loved walking everywhere. There are so many small streets and historic neighborhoods; there is always something around the corner waiting for you.

Qué genial!

I studied abroad for personal growth, improve language skills, and gain a broader cultural experience.

The three things I valued from my experience would be teaching kids English actually improved my Spanish. Living with a family expanded my cultural knowledge. The food!

I recommend ASA because it is a great organized program and made my time there enjoyable.

I suggest that to students keep your common wits about you and everything will be fine. Nothing abroad is more dangerous than what you have already experienced in the States. Just keep that 6th sense about you and remember it has all been done before. So take everything in because the end comes faster than expected.

After four months, 100s of new friends, a new acquisition of the language and 10,000 pictures... I still wasn't ready to go home! If you're thinking about studying abroad, DO IT!

I studied abroad because I wanted to have the adventure of living in a foreign environment . I wanted to learn more about the Spanish culture and try to become fluent in the language.

Three valuable things I learned through my experience:
- I now feel as though I could classify myself as 'fluent' in Spanish and I never thought I would be able to say that.
- I learned how to rely on myself more and feel comfortable talking with people.
- I made amazing friends and have wonderful pictures and memories!!

Elisa was knowledgeable about each of the cities we went to and was very cooperative if we had any questions. We had very little communication though and I would have preferred more. I think that in an effort to make the students feel more 'cared for' it would be nice to have a weekly email or a meeting once a month to check up on us.

I enjoyed the excursions and I thought the excursions were very beneficial. It enabled me to put into practice all of the historical and cultural stories that I learned about in school.

I think it would have been beneficial to have some information ab out where we were going before we went there so we could have more of an understanding of what to expect.

For students going to UPO in Sevilla, it would be beneficial to know that they have to pay (everyday) to get to school. I was extremely upset when I found out that I had not budgeted correctly for my metro or bus ride needed to get to school every day.

For those who want to study abroad, make sure to maintain a positive attitude. There are so many cultural differences that may not make sense at first but you have to take it one day at a time and treasure every memory and every moment... it will make for a wonderful semester!

Through UPO I was able to get volunteering jobs as a tutor and teacher of young children at an elementary school and in private homes. It improved my Spanish so much and I hope to keep in touch with everyone!

I think the site director should have more interaction with the students. It is extremely difficult to keep up on school activities and projects as well as assignments because internet is not provided in homes . We had to go to coffee shops and that was ok until the internet went out in the coffee shops. In college now, assignments are given nightly via email so if one doesn't have email it is next to impossible to get homework done . I understand internet is not as common as in the United States but other programs require internet for host families and I think it would be good for the students.

It took living in another culture for me to realize that we're all the same.

I chose to study abroad to develop my language skills and for a different perspective of the world I live in. I intended to improve myself as a person and my marketability as a professional, while interacting and learning within a different culture with ultimate goal of increasing global communication.

The two things I value most from my experience are the relationships I have formed and the knowledge I have gained. ASA is a very thorough program. It is well organized and structured, yet allows for plenty of independent activity and personal responsibility. I highly recommend it.

I rated ASA as being very satisfactory because of how I felt while in Spain. There were many times where I felt foreign, but I rarely felt like a tourist. I engaged the culture with the ASA program, I didn't just take a picture and a souvenir.

My site director, Elisa Guidera, was organized, knowledgeable, easy to communicate with and most importantly, fun! I enjoyed all of our trips and I was always informed.

I enjoyed the excursions because they allowed me to experience interesting aspects of Spanish culture in an efficient way and more easily than I could have had I attempted to plan the excursions myself. The excursions also provided me with a better understanding of how geographically diverse and different Spain is.

Some advice to students who are thinking about studying abroad would be to keep an open mind, make friends with the locals instead of your travel-mates, and get in shape before you go; Europeans walk or bike everywhere!

The best aspect of my experience is knowing that there are people who want me to come back for a second visit.

I didn't expect to be in classes with only American students. I wouldn't have minded other non-native speakers being mixed in, or even some c lasses with the locals would have been nice. The professors were great, but I learned most of my language skills from my friends.

I consider myself to be a responsible, judicious person. Unfortunately, it only takes a momentary lapse to allow for theft to occur. My wallet was stolen while at a disco in Madrid and my identity was used to make purchases with my credit card. Lesson learned: always be aware of your surroundings and plan accordingly. I reported my wallet theft to the police, but they don't treat a missing wallet as a high priority. Petty theft is pretty common in a large city, the police have real crimes to worry about.

My Adventure of a Lifetime

I had the most wonderful time studying abroad in Seville. I could not have asked for a better experience there. First of all, my language skills improved immensely during the time I was there. If you are eager to learn and serious about practicing you will definitely improve. The program directors were so friendly and always able to help out when we had questions. They were amazing, and so were the people in my program. I like how the program sizes are small because we all got to know each other really well and we became a very tight-knit group. In addition (I know this can't really be controlled, but I'm so glad it worked out this way) everyone in the program got along so well despite our differences and I made some lasting friendships with those people. My host mom was amazing as well. She was so sweet and very accommodating. She loved to show me around the neighborhood and introduce me to her family. (She was also a great cook!) I had such a wonderful relationship with her that she cried when I left. I made other great friends in Seville as well, and that was one of the things that really made me feel like I belonged there. I will keep in contact with them and now I have connections all over the world. Traveling to other cities and countries was amazing as well, but I also really just liked exploring my own city and getting involved with things there. It made Seville feel like my home because I got to know it inside out. It was wonderful just immersing myself in its culture and taking advantage of my time there by just enjoying everything about it and doing everything I could. To me, the most important things when I travel are the relationships I make. The memories of what you do and see may fade, but friendships last forever.

I had an amazing time with ASA. If I could...

I had an amazing time with ASA. If I could go back for another semester, I would not only go to Sevilla, but I'd go back with ASA. Isidoro, our site director was great, our trips were fun...It honestly couldn't have been any better!

Study Abroad was such an amazing experience....

Study Abroad was such an amazing experience. Not only did I learn a new language and soak up a new culture, I found things inside myself that I never knew existed. I absolutely loved studying abroad and I hope to study abroad again before I graduate. Its a one of a kind experience. You really can't fully describe its intensity and impact you have to experience it!

I didn't want to leave!

Nicole was always there if I needed anything. She never made me feel uncomfortable or unwelcomed. Even though she was fairly close to some of us in age she was completely professional. Our cultural guide Alejandro was also very imformative and welcoming. One thing I wish is that there was an excursion further outside of our region of Andalicia and even outside of Spain in general. Many of the other programs have similar costs which included "bigger" excursions.

Its the time of your life, so take advantage of it!

Get excited, pack light, shop, be social, take the initiative on meeting people, and have fun!!

I chose to study abroad because Spanish is my second major and I've always wanted to go to Europe, so I thought this would be my best opportunity. I knew I'd learn a lot of Spanish, but I was surprised at how independent I became in just 3 and 1/2 months. I also got to travel every weekend, see several countries, and meet great people. My host family was amazing, and are people I plan to keep in touch with forever. That by far is the most valuable part of my whole trip. It was great. I definitely recommend this program. Its a small program, so we really got to do what we wanted, and our input was taken seriously.

Isidoro was great. He was a lot of fun, he knew a ton of information about everything he took us to see, and gave us good tips both around Sevilla and throughout Europe.

I enjoyed the excursions. they were great. I enjoyed them a lot because they were in Spanish, so it got me to focus a lot more, and I honestly learned a lot more from listening in Spanish instead of in English because I didn't tune anything out. I also liked how all of our trips were every other weekend because we got to travel between our scheduled trips, and that was great.

The itinerary was great, however on my return flight, Iberia canceled my first flight which made me miss my flight back to the US. that was awful, but they paid for a hotel, and were nice about it, but it was really frustrating at the time! None of it was ya'lls fault though!

I'm not sure how much money I spent each week, however from Feb to March is Rebahas season-which is sale season, so I spent a lot more money during that time because clothes and shoes were really cheap. If you plan on shopping, don't pack much because its so hard to bring it all home!! I would say at least 1,000$ a month because when you're in Sevilla, most things are pretty cheap-and you don't need much money, however when you travel to other places, flights, buses, going out--that's what gets expensive. So you might go one week with only spending like 50$ but that weekend, when you go to London--spend liked 500$ because the exchange rate is so huge.

Future students should get excited, pack light, be social, take the initiative on meeting people, and have fun!! Its the time of your life, so take advantage of it!

A few improvements is that to get a few extra computers and work on the internet connection. That's the only thing that got on everyone else's nerves. I brought a laptop, so it never bothered me, but I know it got on everyone's nerves.

I knew a lot of Spanish before I left, but I wasn't very confident in my reading or my more intense conversations. Just the normal nerves and doubts, I guess. I'm pretty much fluent. I can talk to my host family on the phone, tudor ESL students now, and volunteer in clinics and not have to ask anyone to repeat themselves or slow down. I understand everything the Spanish channel on TV says, and I still dream in Spanish. I hated my Spanish Contemporary Novel class, it was terrible! the teacher was nice, and i got a good grade, but it was torture. I loved my Contemporary History of Spain, and Phonetics class. They were a lot of fun and really interesting.

Loved it :)

The site directors are amazing, the excursions are great and I liked the smaller group size. I definitely recommend this program!

UPO the diamond of Sevilla

Sevilla is an amazing city to live in. The university of Pablo de Olavide made my experience really special. I was able to get an intercambio through the school and this changed my life. I learned so much, improved my Spanish, created great relationships, and saw many cultural things through my experiences at the university. I did have a few issues in my homestay situation though and that was frustrating but did not deter me or break my spirits at all. One of the biggest thing that I didn't enjoy about the experience is that we have to pay for the metro to and from the university. I feel if this were to change then that would have made the experience ten times better. A pre-paid metro card would have been awesome. Nicole and Steven were very helpful and I loved our interactions with them. I even wish I could have spent more time with them.

It was an unforgettable experience.

I wouldn't have traded going abroad to Sevilla for anything. It was an amazing experience getting to learn about a new culture, people, and language. I highly recommend studying in a country whose first language is not English.

La crítica de Lisa

Study abroad is exactly what the name sounds like: you study abroad, but you simultaneously study yourself while broadening and extending yourself

My Review of Sevilla

It was an overall amazing experience. I had a blast meeting new people and being immersed in the culture. My Spanish improved very much and I accomplished the goals I set for myself. I enjoyed the university and living situation and would recommend ASA to other college students.

Despite challenges and difficulties, my time spent in Spain was one of the most enriching experiences of my life.

Living in Spain was like living on a different planet. The food was different, the people, the language, and the social customs, but it all came together to give me a richer appreciation of the world and of home.

Maturing

My semester abroad was everything I thought it would be and more. At first I was a bit nervous going to a foreign country with no one I knew, but the other students were very friendly and the advisors helped out a lot. My Spanish got exponentially better over the course of the semester and I felt like I matured a lot due to the travels I did. I strongly recommend doing a study abroad through ASA.

B

I thoroughly enjoyed my study abroad experience. I had the opportunity to study in Sevilla, Spain. Steven and Nicole the program directors are amazing. They are genuinely good people and cared a lot about us. That was very comforting being so far away from home. I enjoyed the neighborhood I lived in as well as my host mother. My Spanish was not the best , but I can truly say it grew so much better just by living with a Spanish native. My experience in Spain would not have been so amazing have it not been for her and her hospitality. I would recommend studying in another country to any and everybody! You learn so much about yourself, the world, and other people.