Academic Studies Abroad Header Image Academic Studies Abroad Header Image

Study in Buenos Aires, Argentina with ASA

Studying abroad will change your life

I chose to study abroad and intended to perfect my spanish and open myself to new experiences. The 3 most valuable things about my experience included improved spanish, become more open minded, amd enjoyed the laid back lifestyle. I recommend ASA to future study abroad students.

Gaby is great, the amenities are awesome and the travel destinations are great. They were Super friendly, very knowledgeable about the city and can answer any questions you may have.

A trip to Iguazu is absolutely essential. Amazing experience. i think a trip to Mar del Plata during the summer would be great too.

The best aspect with my experience in studying abroad with ASA was the friendships made, and learning something new every single day.

ASA was a wonderful program that included excursions of the most wanted to see areas.

I chose to study abroad to develop a better understanding of Spanish and to experience the Argentine culture first hand. Three most valuable things about my experience were the excursion s, our program director, Gabriela (she is amazing and I couldn't see having the same experience without her), and host family I stayed with.

I recommend ASA to students looking to study abroad. ASA had many characteristics that I was looking for in a program and I was very pleased with the excursions! The hotels that we stayed in were modern and we were given liberty to explore what we wanted to. ASA is a wonderful program. I could tell that all of my questions and concerns were their top priority. My emails were answered quicker then I expected, sometimes within 20 minutes of me sending them.

The excursions were great!

If you are not from a big city, it may take some time to adjust. Adjusting is easy, just be aware of your surroundings. And if it is something that you would not do at home, such as walking the streets at all hours of the nights, then it wouldn't be wise to do it here either.

The best aspect of the experience is the friendships that I created within the program.

ASA needs the student to be aware that if they would like to take classes with Argentines they would have to stay a month longer to take the exams.

Traditions and Culture class was amazing. The professor was wonderful and you will learn a lot about Argentina from his class.

The best time of my life

ASA provided many opportunities to make my experience the best it can be-fun excursions to places such as Iguazu Falls, and guidance from the site director, Gabby when I needed it! However, what you decide to do during your study abroad is up to you. The best thing I ever did during my time abroad was traveling around for a couple days at a time. You get to meet the best people and see life in a different lighting. Mendoza, Argentina is a beautiful place that you must see! Although towards the end of my trips I would end up getting homesick and would want to return back to Buenos Aires. Seriously, I love this city that much. There is so much to do, in so little time, but no matter what you will bring back so much knowledge and understanding of the world you live in.

Awesome program, great homestay.

My time in Buenos Aires was incredible. The program director Gaby was amazing. The only reason I didn't give the administration an A+ is due to the lack of a program funded trip to Iguazu, which seemed to be included in all the other programs budget. My homestay situation was incredible. My host mom was the sweetest, and I plan on keeping in contact with her. The host university was mediocre. I learned a lot, however the teachers were very biased. It would not be too difficult to pass the courses without studying. It was a relatively easy university. Overall it was a great trip. I would recommend this program due to its smaller size(about 12 kids in my program, compared to over 100 in others). I would definitely do this again if given the option.

Amazing cultural living in Buenos Aires.

I loved, LOVED, my time in Buenos Aires and I loved my program (ASA). They were very thorough about everything but I still had my independence to immerse myself into the culture on my own. I had a great living situation and was able to travel a lot due to the dates of the program, the trips already included, and my schedule at school. UB wasn't academically challenging but I didn't go to Buenos Aires for that. I went to live and learn about Argentine life and that's exactly what I got (and I loved). I think if someone were looking for a more rigorous workload, they could make it work at UB but the majority of the people I talked to agreed that school wasn't a challenge (except we were all okay with that!). I did learn a lot about Argentina and Buenos Aires through my teachers- perhaps so much that we didn't have time for the material.

The program director in BsAs, Gaby, made the program wonderful! She really took the time to make sure we were happy in our situations and loved to talk with us about everything! We did great trips and she was always fun to be around!

Amazing people, amazing program

I couldn't be happier with my time in Buenos Aires through ASA. The group of students was under 10 which made for a very personalized experience with ASA, the trips and excursions were awesome, and Gaby was incredible. My host family was the sweetest family ever and the people I lived with were awesome. Went down knowing no spanish and left with a passable amount of spanish speaking ability. Well worth it.

loved everything except the university

I had a great time, Gabriela was super helpful. My host family was incredible as were the other students living in my house. I wasn't crazy about the university, big classes, lots of people. However I learned more spanish from the immersion than I ever could have in classes.

great job

ASA did a wonderful job providing me with the perfect host family, side trips and advise/help.

Gorgeous country, exciting people, delicious food; an amazing experience.

I wanted to study another culture, learn a valuable language, and travel in a part of the world I had never been to. The three most valuable things from my experience were the traveling, immersion in a different culture, and the language experience.

I recommend ASA because ASA has a very good program, although fairly small in Buenos Aires, and it included a healthy variety of excursions.

I believe ASA can encourage more of an independent process for ho using their student which will lead to a better housing experience for them. Also, I think the program could include added optional activity resources such as wine tasting programs, and other educational activities.I enjoyed the excursions because they were all things that I wanted to do, and were energetic and exciting.

I think ASA could look into participating with a different university. For me the University of Belgrano was not challenging and had a segregation of international students from Argentine students by their design of t heir program.

Overall a great experience

I loved my time in Argentina, but I do wish I had stayed in an apartment. I'm a very independent person and it would have been great to have my own kitchen to use. However, being in a homestay gave me a lot of opportunities to speak Spanish! Don't be afraid to take chances and spend every day out of your comfort zone. You get out of the experience what you put in!

Great

ASA provided me with everything I needed to have a safe, educational, fun study abroad experience.

Amazing experience

Overall an incredible experience. Gaby, the site director, was amazing and my host family was better than could ever be imagined. The university was subpar, mainly just not challenging and disorganized, but it was nice to be surrounded by so many other study abroad students. I went down knowing no spanish and left conversational, and that opportunity was really cool. After interacting with many of the other students who were a part of other study abroad programs I was even more happy I was with ASA instead of them.

ASA all the way

I was very please with my experience with ASA. Our programs was small which allowed us to get to know eachother well. The on site director was most amazing and helpful.

I chose to live with a family, and I was placed with a single woman who lived with her dog. I had a nice bedroom, wifi, cable and I lived in Belgrano clsoe to the school and 1 block away from the train.

The program included 3 trips which were all inclusive and culturally immersive. As a student you can't expect the program to do all the work for you . You have to put yourself out there and explore the city.

The program director in Buenos Aires was amazing, extremely helpful and always accessible.

Universidad Belgrano

I enjoyed my classes. I had to take them seriously because they are transferring for credit at my university, so I ended up studying a lot. Other people put forth varying degrees of effort, some none at all. The teachers were very good and knowledgeable. The main problem I had was that almost everyone was American, and this of course is a great obstacle if the goal is to learn Spanish. I did not spend time with any of them outside of classes. Actually I was very disappointed in a lot of my classmates. I did take other classes with Argentines, outside of the program, so I got a lot more exposure to locals that way, and I also joined a jiu jitsu dojo. Most of the people here are very friendly. I really love the city. There is good public transportation, the area I am in is very safe, if you need something it's usually very easy to find, the food is good, the people are nice, the weather is incredible, there are lots of parks, there are palm trees, there are plants everywhere so it's not the same kind of oppressive city that is New York for example. And there is lots to do and many ways to meet people in order to become involved and practice the language and get to know the local culture.

Great semester in Buenos Aires

Going abroad to Argentina was one of the best decisions I ever made and was well worth the price. I had the opportunity to do some traveling outside the city and outside Argentina during the semester which was probably my favorite part of the experience. The program director (Gaby) was fantastic and always on top of things. The university was alright but somewhat unorganized at times. Classes were interesting and I learned a lot about Argentine culture. I did have several problems with my host mom, which often frustrated me. However, overall my Spanish improved dramatically, I saw some sights I will never forget, and made some friends that I will have for years to come. I am satisfied with the program and would recommend that anyone who has the chance to study abroad in Argentina.

Great experience

This was a really well-rounded experience that broadened my understanding of another culture and geography. The people were fantastic, the coordinator (Gabby) was excellent and the school was engaging without being suffocating.

Fun Times with ASA

I had a great time with ASA, before leaving all my questions were answered (and I had a million). They are easy to reach and helpful in the states. In BA, our program director was incredible! So helpful and always available to help out with anything, literally one of the nicest people I have ever met! She is like family. I loved my homestay and got along great with my host mother and sister and everyone in the group was lovely.

Fun Times with ASA

Small program which is not for everyone, but very well administered and made for a very comfortable atmosphere.

This is a small program which means you get all the attention you deserve. If you want to meet lots of people, you get the opportunity in classes and throughout the city, and the program offers you a chance to make some really good friends throughout the semester. However, a small program is not for everyone and just like when choosing your 2/4 year university, you should take this into consideration. The best thing that ASA gave me was the most wonderful host mother and an amazing site director - they all really cared and made the trip extra special. I loved the city and that helped too.

IT WAS FUN BUT DO NOT BE FOOLED

Buenos Aires for the most part was a good program. A couple of things though, it is not cheap at all in BA! They are having inflation like crazy and even empanadas on the street were 5 pesos when we got there and 6.5 when I left (And these are the cheap ones) So that is about 6-7 dollars per day for lunch. Clothes and other products are also way more expensive than in the US. So bring more money than they suggest or pick a different program. Also other companies offer the same trips as we do and charge about 2,000 dollars less for their total cost. The only other bad thing was the first host family, the site directors really try not to move you, it took 9 weeks of complaining and finally a mutual outburst before I was able to be moved. That factor alone makes me think badly of the entire program (ASA)! Other than those things BA is a very lively city and I am glad I went. READ YOUR SCHEDULE BEFORE YOU COME!!!!!!!! WE had several 6-10 day breaks to travel becuse of holidays so pay attention to those things and plan your budget wisely. The actual University was ok but not fantastic (very disorganized).