A man on top of a mountain A man on top of a mountain

API at The University of Salamanca in Salamanca, Spain

If you can study abroad - DO IT!

I lived with a host family; which allowed me to be immersed. They know what it is like to be students- they want you to go out and experience it yourself. Salamanca is like a university town in the states- you will be immersed with local students as well as other study abroad students. I learned more about myself than I did anything else.

A life changing summer in Salamanca

Fantastic Experience

Loved everything about my experience. Fantastic family, awesome directors and overall great experience.

Incredible

I had an incredible experience.

Before going abroad I was shy, introverted, and afraid of change, but now I'm outgoing, adventurous and have officially caught the travel bug.

Studying abroad with API in Salamanca, Spain for 4 months was the most radical thing I've done with my life so far. Before going overseas I'd never even been to the West Coast, let alone another country! So naturally I was scared out of my socks before departure. There were times where I'd thought I'd made a huge mistake and wanted to cancel everything, but I'm glad I didn't, because it all paid off. While abroad I made lifelong friends from around the world, got unofficially adopted into another family, saw parts of the world so many people only dream about, and grew as a person in the process. And none of it would've been possible without API. Through them I met my second family, through them I saw the sights and they made it all happen. I would recommend API to anyone and everyone looking to study abroad.

The classes I took ranged from very easy (culture, conversation, and cinema) to despair inducing difficulty (Advanced Spanish Grammar). However, despite the gap between difficulty levels I feel that I learned a great deal and benefited immensely from the classes.

I was placed with a host family consisting of my host mother, 21 year old host brother, and my darling little 10 year old host sister. Living with them was the absolute highlight of my experience abroad because it immersed me in the culture and built a permanent bond between me and Spain.

Salamanca is a bit of a tourist destination, but not nearly as much as Madrid or Barcelona or Paris. And as a smaller city it seemed as though a lot of the locals didn't speak English which was great news for me, a Spanish major trying to polish up my own speaking skills.

Maria and Inma, my Regional Directors in Salamanca, were absolutely amazing. They were always there to help or give advice and even though I didn't see them everyday I appreciated the feeling of having a reliable support system.

Social Life:
In Salamanca, the social thing to do during the day is to take a "paseo", which is where you pretty much just wander around the city with your friends and at night the clubs are all open for business.

Best experience of my life

Salamanca was incredible and API was the best program to go through. They gave me so much for my money. I was able to travel almost every weekend and I experienced so much while I was there. They were so helpful in any situation and they were always quick on responding to any issues or questions I had. I would study abroad again and again with them.

Couldn't ask for better

I had an absolutely incredible experience with API in Salamanca. I enjoyed all my classes, my host family was lovely, and the resident directors went above and beyond to help you with anything you needed. Salamanca is a beautiful city filled with life - if you take advantage of every opportunity with an open mind you will be in for an amazing cultural experience!

Best 5 Months of my Life

I had studied in Salamanca as part of a specialized program with my university. API administration was fantastic, I wouldn't have survived study abroad without Maria. From her taking me to the hospital when I was sick, to her talking to my professor when I had a problem with class, her number one priority was making sure we had no problems and felt comfortable. She is also so personable and fun to talk to. Salamanca is the perfect sized city if you aren't that used to big city living. It is nice, quaint, and most things are under a 10 minute walk. Salamanca is very safe as well, not once did I feel uncomfortable walking alone at night. Things are also very cheap which is perfect for a college kid studying abroad on a budget. Also the students that go through API are great, my group of kids had gotten very close and we became one big family. API definitely provides you some lifelong friends. The only downside is being 2 and a half hours away from Madrid. Every time you plan a trip you have to fly out of the Madrid Barajas airport, requiring you to take a bus or train to get there. It can add up after a while and sometimes the bus company goes on strike on busy traveling days. Overall the city has a fun environment and is a great place to study. It has a lot of history and the people speak a pure form of Spanish, perfect for anyone looking to pick up the language. I highly recommend studying in Salamanca.

Best Study Abroad experience in Spain!

I studied abroad in Salamanca as part of a customized study abroad from my university. After traveling throughout Spain, I can honestly say that this is an incredible city to study for students because it offers a convenient location (2 hours from Madrid), amazing architecture, friendly people and the best staff. Advisors Maria and Inma are incredible helpful in all regards, whether you have a question about traveling, housing issues or just want someone to talk to. In the U.S., API coordinated all the housing and information forms in timely and professional manner. I even became an API Campus Advocate upon my return to the U.S.

A semester in Salamanca that passed by much too fast

My experience in Salamanca was more than I expected. The city itself attracted study abroad students from all over the world, so not only did I meet Spaniards, but I made friends from all over Europe, Asia and South America. This multiculturalism was a slight drawback in itself since it made mingling with Spaniards more of an effort. Intercambios were a great solution to this, and there were always a lot of Spaniards who wanted to practice a second language. The API program directors were wonderful! However, the integrated program was different then all the others and because it had so much freedom in classes, be prepared to do some research. Also, take as many classes as possible! Since a lot of Spaniards there sign up for 7 or 8 (even when they overlap) and borrow each others notes. The more classes you take, the more opportunities you have to meet people. The city of Salamanca was the perfect size, small enough to find your favorite spots at any time of day, and large enough to discover new areas by the rio or a different cafe. I always felt safe there, especially living close to the Plaza Mayor. Salamanca's location to Madrid was partially the reason I chose to study there, and it definitely made weekend trips across Europe very easy! Also, Porto, Portugal is only 5ish hours away by bus and a beautiful place to visit. Nightlife was great, especially during the week which let you not miss anything traveling on the weekends. Overall a great city to live in, study Spanish, and travel throughout Europe!

Mostly good

I had a good time on this program, but I wasn't very pleased with API's administration. They weren't very supportive.