A man on top of a mountain A man on top of a mountain

API at the University College Cork, National University of Ireland

Best Days of My Life

My experience studying abroad in Cork, Ireland was the best experience I had ever had. Looking back on it now, it's like a dream that happened so long ago. I was able to travel, make memories, and make long-lasting friendships while abroad. I would recommend API and Cork, Ireland to anyone going abroad!

I studied abroad in Cork, Ireland in the...

I studied abroad in Cork, Ireland in the summer of 2009 through Academic Programs International. The experience was more than I could have ever expected, and API was a huge part of making my trip a success.

As an API student, you have the support of two organizations the institution that you are studying abroad with (in my case, the University College Cork) and the API staff. So in a sense, you receive double the attention while abroad. I felt a lot more comfortable knowing I had two sets of staffs to ask questions or seek out support. I also got to enjoy two sets of extra activities such as field trips and day trips.

I had so much fun living and studying in Cork. The city, located in southern Ireland, is large enough to have a lot of restaurants, pubs and historical sites but small enough to quickly feel like home. A few of my favorite places in Cork were the Cork City Gaol, the Old English Market, Gino's Pizzeria, and the Franciscan Well Brewery. Another benefit to studying in Cork was our program director Claire. She was helpful, easy to approach, and a lot of fun to be around. She made my experience in Cork so much more enjoyable!

I would most definitely recommend API to other students, especially those traveling without a companion from their home university which in my opinion, is the way to go in terms of living abroad. I learned/experienced so much more traveling by myself. It allowed me to put myself out there all the more and meet more people than I would have had I been traveling with someone from home. With API, you immediately have a core group of other students whom you can connect with. This helped me a lot, especially coping with culture shock the first few days there.

I loved my experience with API and would highly recommend the program! Feel free to contact me with any questions about the program or studying in Ireland.

Brief trip, but enjoyable and worthwhile nonetheless

API was a great program to go through. However, the summer session at NUI was exclusively American students, and I don't feel as though I gained a true Irish experience.