A man on top of a mountain A man on top of a mountain

API at Pablo de Olavide University in Seville, Spain

Best Experience of My College Career

I recommend API to everyone I know that is thinking about spending a semester abroad. From the smooth application process, organized pre-departure process, the friendly individuals stateside and in Spain, the value of the program and even the opportunities offered after the program, API is the only feasible program in my mind.

When applying Christie, Brittany, and the gang in Austin were awesome with my million questions every week. Applying and preparing for departure couldn't have gone more smoothly. There is even a service that takes your visa application to a consulate-- which saves you tons of time.

From the second I stepped off the plane I was greeted at the airport and could never have felt more welcomed. My whole semester was phenomenal from the planned excursions to the support in Sevilla the program directors provided. I got sick a couple times while abroad the program directors made it so simple to visit the doctor. In addition, my host family was fantastic and I feel as though I was given a much richer experience than students in other programs based on the quality of host families API selects. Our international excursion was to London and included a number of tours, our flight and housing. I made lifelong friends while in Spain because API's program sizes are smaller, so you don't feel lost in the mix. They know you by name and treat you as a person, not just another number.

API offers tons of resources to adjust back to life in the States as well as professional development opportunities to spread the word about studying abroad.

Overall, I cannot say how pleased I am that I chose API as my study abroad program because they are truly experts and so passionate about international education.

API: Above and Beyond a Study Abroad Experience

The main reason I had such a wonderful and enriching learning experience studying abroad in Seville, Spain was hands down due to API. Both the on-site staff in Seville as well as program managers back in the United States are 100% committed to ensuring students have a culturally-enriching, fun, safe, learning experience. The number of excursions and cultural activities API organizes (all which are included in the price of the program!) truly enhances the study abroad experience and is something many other programs fail to have (and especially are an additional cost unlike API). API works with the University of Seville to provide classes that students will find manageable yet challenging enough to allow them to improve their Spanish language skills and really understand Spanish culture. All the staff members at API are extremely accommodating and helpful in whatever students need both pre-departure, while abroad, and post-returning to the United States, keeping students confident that API is there to support them in every way. Even after students return home, API continues to provide resources and other information about more opportunities abroad students can take in the future through API or elsewhere as well as about the field of international education and other related industries for students who may be interested in pursuing a career in this area of interest or internationally-based. Such resources demonstrate API is truly dedicated to its students for life, making API go beyond a program provider to a personal supporter to each individual.

The communication classes are all taught in Spanish by Spanish professors and have mostly Spanish students in them with few to no international or American students. The classes can be difficult for students who do not possess a high level of Spanish, particularly listening skills as the classes are lecture-based and professors may speak very rapidly. The difficulty level in the actual coursework, however, is not high. Students can easily pass the classes and even receive top grades without an excessive amount of studying.

One of the strongest aspects of API is the number of cultural activities and excursions the program provides. There are countless day and weekend trips to locations across Spain, allowing students to see all parts of the country, with activities at each location that truly give students insight to Spanish culture. Within Seville, API hosts numerous cultural activities from seeing a bull fight or flamenco shows to having dinners at local restaurants that serve the most authentic Spanish food. Resident Directors in Seville even send out weekly emails describing cultural activities that students can do on their own in the city to again allow students to immerse themselves in Spanish culture as much as possible.

Ah-Pee

API, or Ah-Pee, as the Spaniards pronounce it, is one of the best programs out there. The cost is relatively cheap compared to all the other study abroad programs yet you get the most out of it. We went on a ton of excursions with API for free, food was included and lodging too. They put you in the exact living situation you wanted and provide all the information you need. If you need anything while abroad there is an office right in your city and your program directors are always there to help.

On to the experience itself, I met some of the most amazing people I've ever met while studying abroad. The people in my program are now the best friends I've ever made in my life, and I know we will stay in contact for years to come. My time in Sevilla was the best 5 months of my entire life. I will never forget the things I did, or the people I met.

Ah-Pee love for life.

There is more school work than I expected to be while abroad, but it still was not that much at all. I learned a lot in the majority of my classes and they offer them in both English or your host countries language.

I'm sure you could get a lot more culturally immersed if you don't hang out with the people in your program all the time like I did, but its all about what your looking for.

The program advisors, Marta and Juan are the greatest. They are there to help you all the time and really care about you. They made every excursion we went on amazing. All the trips are so well planned out, and everything is taken care of. They are great.

Experiencing Culture and Language in Seville

My experience has been amazing so far! I love the culture and food, and my Spanish language skills are improving everyday. I hope to come bac here again someday!

Experiencing Culture and Language in Seville

My Experience Has Been Remarkable

My Experience has been remarkable in the sense that I have grown in so many different ways as a person/a student, and instead of feeling confined to be a part of 1 nation and 1 identity, I feel as if I no longer have barriers/boundaries and getting that feeling makes me feel more capable of tackling many adventures and problems.

Sevilla is Wonderful!

Sevilla is the perfect city to be abroad in. The people are welcoming and the culture is abundant. Also, you are not too far away from many other locations such as Morocco, Portugal, Italy and France. The weather is also perfect.

Study Abroad in Spain!

Great program incorporating travel and study. Would recommend living with a family, great weather and a lot of opportunity to travel. Very inexpensive area of Europe.

Sevilla As A Home Base

I've ad a great time in Sevilla but have also really enjoyed the trips I've been able to take from here. I do wish Sevilla had stronger character, but overall, great!

Seville

Seville is a great low key city that makes a great "home base" to travel from. Rich in history, this has an enormous amounts of sites to see! Check out Alfalfa and Calle Betiz. :)