A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants

Volunteer Abroad in Peru - Orphanage, Wildlife Conservation, School, Teaching, Indigenous Programs

Wonderful Peru Cusco

I have met so many amazing people on this journey from other volunteers to the girls at the orphanage. I have built the strongest connections in so little time and fallen in love with Cusco. The girls at the orphanage are some of the sweetest girls I have ever met and I wish I could stay here with them so much longer. I would not trade this trip for anything in the world.
My favorite memory was just sitting and talking with the girls at the orphanage. I don’t speak much Spanish and they don’t speak much English but somehow it was a perfect fit. I learned so much from them and truly felt a companionship with these amazing girls.
The best memory of the country was Machu Picchu. On the weekend I had the opportunity to do an excursion to Machu Picchu and it was phenomenal. I not only met so many great people, but got to experience some of the best views Peru has to offer.

Peru Cuzco: refreshing experience

I chose ABV to volunteer in Peru Cusco because I felt like the other volunteer organizations' program fees were far too high considering the circumstances. While money wasn't necessarily a consideration for me, I was not going to give my money to a for profit organization I felt was capitalizing greatly off the generosity of volunteers. ABV did not disappoint. I truly enjoyed the experience.
The kindergarten I was volunteering at surprised me by dressing me up in traditional Peruvian celebratory garb and parading me through the streets of Cusco. It truly took me out of my comfort zone, but ended up being an extremely positive experience.
The Peruvian people are far more "proud" than I expected them to be. The culture, their history, their food, their education, family, etc. Everything is a "big deal" in Peru, and seemingly worth celebrating. It was extremely refreshing.

Health Care Peru Cusco

I had a wonderful experience from the beginning to the end with ABV in Cusco, Peru, as well as with support in the United States. I am very grateful for my experience here and wouldn’t change one thing about it. My host house truly felt like home. Everyone was kind and willing to help me in my host family and at the clinic.
The advice I received from the director was invaluable and helped me adjust to life in Cusco. While here I enjoyed going on weekend trips with other volunteers to the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Lake Titicaca. In addition, we enjoyed taking free salsa dancing lessons arranged by the ABV coordinator and exploring Cusco.
The house I stayed in was nice. I had a room to myself and there was a shower with warm water. The meals were delicious. Peruvian food is much different than American food, but I was always able to find something that I liked.
While in Cusco and the surrounding areas I was continually surprised by how friendly everyone was, even just the people I sat next to on the bus. In the clinic everyone was very nice. They always took the time to say hi to me and ask me how I was doing.
One of the things I was nervous about was my safety in the country. After arriving my director gave me some tips to stay safe and after getting used to being in Cusco for a few days I felt just as safe here as I do in the United States. Overall I felt like everything was really well organized.

Truly Magical Peru Cusco

I LOVED my experience in Peru! It was really the people in Peru, including my host family and fellow volunteers, that made my experience. We all get along so well its magical! I have had an amazing time exploring Cusco with them and learning about the public services in the city. If I could I would do it all over again and I would do it with ABV. ABVs design allowed me to personalize my experience so that I could go where and when I wanted to go and I could volunteer in a place that was perfect for me. ABV and Peru were truly magical!

Peru Cusco and Machu Picchu

The most difficult thing I experienced in Peru Cusco was visiting an orphanage for children with special needs. All of them had been abandoned by their parents. The staff was working day and night to make their lives the best possible, but they desperately needed more help. The orphanage was severely understaffed, and they were dependent on volunteers' help. I urge all of you to come here and help these children, they need so much help and love. My local coordinator (Beatriz) in-country support was wonderful! My coordinator took me on a tour of the city my first day, gave me a telephone, and was available every step of the way after that. Really really excellent! Make SURE you make time to visit Machu Picchu. It was absolutely spectacular and a must see when in Cusco. They won't exchange one dollar US bills, so make sure you have larger bills.

Xmas Peru Cusco

At first it was a bit of a shock to work with the children with special needs. They have such an unfortunate range of disabilities, and this kindergarten/pre-school is very understaffed. Many of them were also orphans. It was however really rewarding to see how much joy they still found in their everyday life, regardless of their circumstances.
My experience was great and working at the two placements I did got the opportunity to really help out with these children. I’m glad I went for as long a period as I did, as it takes time to get to know the children enough to really help them (especially the autistic and mentally challenged kids).
The coordinator was great, and helped me out with whatever I needed. She was really supportive and worked hard with me to help in my efforts to buy Christmas presents (clothes, blankets, toys) to over 400 orphans and disadvantaged children. I appreciate that a lot.