A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants

Volunteer Abroad in Nepal Patan, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur Orphanages, Teaching, Day Care, Healthcare Programs

Nepal Kathmandu relief Earthquake

My time at the Kathmandu orthopedic hospital was one of the most amazing experience of my life. I gained an emerse amount of experience and applied least 50 casts and 70 slabs to earthquake victims along with doing countless dressings wounds and on multiple occasions removing post operation staples and stitches. I have also met so many amazing people and networked with countless Nepali surgeons at the hospital along with American surgeons here for relief aid. Best of all I was able to observe a hemotriaplasty which was probably the highlight of my trip.
The coordinator was more than accommodating and provided all the information and things I needed to succeed in the program. He showed me how to get to and from the hospital safely using buses and also showed me around the city so that I knew where to visit on my days off.
My accommodations were perfect; my sleeping situation was extremely comfortable. Our meals were always prepared in time and there was more than enough to eat ever time. Security was also very good, given it is a very safe country the home stay is located in an extremely safe neighborhood and the home stay is accompanied with the hosts dog which is very easily doubles as a guard.

The greatest adventure of all

I have paraglide, trekked, canoed, ridden elephants, explored ancient temples, traipsed through jungles, had tea on a mountain top above the clouds, and watched a Himalayan sunrise. But as I wrap up of my time in Nepal, there is no doubt about what has been my greatest adventure of all: third world medicine. The doctors I was lucky enough to learn from work seven days a week and never go on vacation. They pay out of pocket for those who are too poor to pay for treatment. They fundraise relentlessly for basic equipment and can only afford to dream about CT scanners and MRI machines. They fight every day to treat health problems that would be little more than a passing concern in the United States. This experience has been life changing and opened my eyes to the incredibly blessed life that I lead. And although it is difficult for just one volunteer to make a difference, I feel truly honored and humbled to have been able to touch even a few lives.