A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants

Tanzania Arusha Orphanage Assistance, Teaching, HIV

HIV Orphanage in Tanzania

I worked for 4 weeks in Arusha, Tanzania with the HIV/AIDS Awareness and Care program. Most days were spent at an orphanage in a nearby village that housed children, all of which are HIV positive. Other days, we would go to remote villages and provide villagers with donations, support, and medical products as needed; most of the villagers we visited were also HIV positive. I definitely worked hard, and there was always a list of tasks that needed to be completed. I felt like I made some valuable contributions, and I really had a positive and rewarding experience.
In country support was excellent. On our first day we were given a tour of the city and shown the highlights of where we might need to go, and were taken to the cell phone store to buy SIM cards. Transport to and from the airport was handled by the local ABV staff, and they also helped us arrange our safaris. They were also accessible the entire time whenever we had a question.
My favorite memory of the trip was being with the children at the orphanage. These children come from many different backgrounds, but they all have HIV, and have burdens I can only imagine. However, they are very loving, energetic, and thankful, and took to me when I first walked in the door. I'll definitely miss spending every day with them.

Tanzania experience

Despite only being able to stay a week my volunteer experience in Tanzania was worthwhile. I learned a lot about HIV/Aids I did not know and it was eye opening to see how a different culture handled the disease. It was amazing how open everyone was to answering all my questions and educating me on health care in Tanzania and the history of Tanzania as well. My individual placement was far away and as intimidating as it was to travel such a far distance-I increased my self-autonomy. I also considered myself an independent person but now I definitely know this to be true. It was also amazing how I was able to visit with the children at the program and get that experience as well. I cannot wait to return back to Tanzania one day and stay for a longer period of time.