A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants A Broader View Volunteers Corp participants

Medical Health Care Nurse EMT Dentist Honduras La Ceiba Professionals and Students

Incredible Honduras

This volunteer experience was one of the most incredible, yet most heart-breaking experiences of my life. The people in Honduras are so welcoming and appreciative of anything at all you can provide them and they love to share their culture. People can tell you all they want about what conditions are like in these countries, but you will never truly understand until you´ve seen and experienced it yourself. If you are a medical student, this is a wonderful opportunity to learn while helping at the same time. If you are a practicing professional, this is a wonderful opportunity to lend your expertise while also likely learning some new things (such as how to do more with less). I would highly recommend this program for anyone with a passion to help, but also willing to experience new things (both good and bad) that they never have before.
I went to La Ceiba as a pharmacist and so I spent the majority of my time in the pharmacy. I quickly realized that the prescriptions do not include key information that I am used to in the US in order to ensure it is safe and effective. For example, they do not include the dose (rather just say # of tabs), drug allergies, age, and weight (if a child). It is assumed that the doctor is always correct and the pharmacy staff does not double-check the appropriateness of the dose. This was difficult for me to see, in particular for the children because it is so easy to give an incorrect dose that may be toxic or ineffective. During my time in Honduras, I was able to gather needed information for each patient to ensure appropriateness of these prescriptions and adjust as needed, but knowing that this is usually not the case was hard to see.

Premed in Honduras

I am happy to have chosen this Non-Profit Organization and Honduras. I have gained so much hands on experience at the clinic and have seen so many medical cases during my pre-med program. The doctors were more than happy to show me how to do sutures, catheters, vaccines and more. I have seen cases and diseases I could only read about at home. At the hospital, I got to watch so many surgeries, deliveries and met so many different types of doctors. It is amazing how well they do what they can with such little and limited resources. We also gave pets vaccinations and went to schools to educated people with an outreach healthcare program.
I am so very thankful for the opportunities and all that I have learn. I could never have gotten this kind of experience at home (Canada), and this truly reinforced my path in the medical field.
The Spanish lessons were good and very helpful as well.
The neighborhood we live in was very safe. There are two security guards that are circulating in the neighborhood 24/7. We are located near the mall and a taxi anywhere in town is only 25lps (US$1.50). I met so many amazing ABV volunteers from all over the world during my stay.

Wonderful Honduras

My health care program in Honduras was so amazing! I made so many great friends and got to do things I never would in the United States. I did over 200 blood pressures, cleaned and dressed wounds, put on casts, removed stitches, put in stitches, watched births, c-sections and surgeries. This program receives many volunteers from A broader view, so we manage to go out on tours on the weekends and do things during the week like bbq, shopping at the market, dancing, and just hanging out on our free time.
I LOVED my host family! They spoke very good English and were very caring. They were always making sure we were okay and had everything we needed. The portions were so big at my host family’s house, but the food was excellent. Expect a lot of beans, rice, and plantains.
I felt very safe in my accommodation and the neighborhood we were in, felt very safe. I recommend anyone that wants to volunteer here to... Just do it!

Health Care Program Honduras

I’m very glad that I chose this program in Honduras with A Broader View, the location, and to go over Spring Break. A Broader View was a great choice because of large amount of support and information given to me before and during my stay. The location was good because it was close (a short plane trip), good weather, friendly people, and very impactful with its culture and economy. The short time period was a good choice because it allowed me to have enough time to adjust but also ensure that if I did not like the program (since it was my first time traveling abroad for medical volunteering), I would return home soon. I learned a lot in how imperative it is to be able to improvise, think on the spot, communicate in a profession, understand and become integrated within a culture, and analyze a situation to find the underlying problems. I plan to do more of this kind of work once I improve my Spanish and experience.

Honduras premedical program

Being in Honduras for 2 weeks in the Premedical program seemed like a very short amount of time for me. I felt that I had a purpose there and was doing something useful. Also meeting and making friends with the nurse and doctors and helping them out was a rewarding experience for me.
The accommodation was really nice; no AC, cold showers which are really not a problem as its so hot in La Ceiba, the meals are good and although different, usually the hosts make sure you are well fed. As for security as long as you are aware of your surrounding and know when and where not to be, I felt safe.

Future Nurse in Honduras

I really enjoyed working in the clinic. The doctors, nurses and nursing students were all very welcoming and helpful. I learned quite a few skills that are out of my scope of practice back home and I felt that the experience reaffirmed my design to nursing.
The clinic always needs gloves, medical tape, catheters, a lot of which is cheaper to by here, Gloves are really important though; we’ve run out a few times during the middle of the day. As far as meds, pretty much anything, antibiotics, anti parasites, anti-fungal medications, metformin, malaria meds, and acetaminophen for children and adult too.
The host family I stayed with was very welcoming and went out of their way to make sure myself and the other volunteers had what we needed.
My favorite place was Utila, Its beautiful, full of backpackers from all over the world and a great place to learn to scuba dive. Cayos Cochinos is amazing as well. Check out with water rafting in Pico Bonito and Zip ling out in Sambo Creek.