Fall 2014 GoAbroad Writer’s Academy
Writer’s Academy Description
Members of the Writer’s Academy will support the mission and growth of GoAbroad.com by assisting with GoAbroad’s external and internal content strategies, with the purpose of creating and editing original content to be hosted on GoAbroad and other venues determined by GoAbroad. As a key member of the GoAbroad team, members of the Writer’s Academy will enhance their understanding of web-content generation and travel writing within the international education industry. Members will be required to meet in person once per month at GoAbroad Headquarters in Fort Collins, Colorado. These positions will report directly to the GoAbroad Content Coordinator and Founder. A monthly stipend will also be provided, based on the requirements outlined below.
The GoAbroad team culture is rooted in our passion for international education and cultural exchange of people of all ages and backgrounds. We’re a dynamic team in a fast growing company and we value teamwork, ingenuity, laughter, and a “get it done” attitude.
Writer’s Academy Requirements:
The ideal candidates are self starters with editorial and outreach experience, who have the ability to write well, have a strong attention to detail, an interest in social media brand management, and also have some form of experience in traveling abroad. If you’ve ever wanted a start in the field of online travel writing, this is the perfect opportunity for you to gain experience with an internationally-minded company!
- Compile four (4) original content articles, at minimum, per month for publication on GoAbroad website(s) and other venues determined by GoAbroad Content Coordinator and Founder
- Collaborate with other GoAbroad staff and Content Managers to identify, collect, and develop content
- Monitor trends in travel/international education to assist in influencing content creation
- Meet at the GoAbroad Fort Collins Office once per month to meet with GoAbroad staff and discuss content strategies
- Assist with other activities and initiatives as needed
- A background (or working towards a degree in) one or more of the following areas: Marketing, Journalism, Online Marketing, Intercultural Studies, or related field
- Demonstrated extensive experience with and knowledge of content creation/management
- Strong project management, customer service, and organizational skills
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communications skills
- Strong desire to learn the online marketing and travel writing environment
- Self-motivated, with strong decision-making abilities
- In-depth knowledge of and interest in international travel/education field including study, intern, volunteer, teach abroad, etc. opportunities. Travel experience in one or more of these areas is also a plus.
- Strong ability to work in a team, including leadership and cooperation skills
- Ability to manage time independently
- Desired applicants are those based in the Fort Collins or Northern Colorado region in order to easily meet in person once a month at GoAbroad Headquarters
- Interviews will commence week of August 25, 2014
- Start Date will be September 8, 2014
- Duration of Writer’s Academy position is six (6) months, after which an evaluation will take place in order to offer the option to extend the position
Send a cover letter, resume, and two (2) writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line “GoAbroad Writer’s Academy - Full Name.” Please submit all necessary documents as PDF files attached to your email with the file names formatted as “Cover Letter_Last Name” and “Resume_Last Name.” In your email you may include a paragraph explaining your interest in this position, and how it relates to your studies, and your future plans if this is not mentioned in your cover letter. Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, August 20, 2014.