Seeking Experienced & Amateur Travel Writers!
Do you give unsolicited travel advice to people who don’t have a passport? Are you looking to get your foot in the door of the exciting world of travel writing? Do you get excited about researching meaningful travel experiences around the world? Are you highly attentive to detail, a strong writer, and on the Oxford comma team? If you said yes to nearly all of these questions, you may be a perfect candidate for admission to the GoAbroad Writer’s Academy!
The GoAbroad Writer’s Academy is seeking 10 individuals to join our 6 month online journalism course starting January 2016. Applicants who are selected for this competitive program will learn what it takes to create engaging, authoritative content, and will be given a down and dirty intro to the modern-day Editor’s life. Afterall, when it comes to online marketing (especially of yourself), those that have the best content win.
The Writer’s Academy curriculum is specifically designed to help you build your portfolio and credibility, as both a general writer and a travel expert. It can serve as an excellent launch pad for not only a career as a professional writer, but also for developing skills that future employers across multiple industries will value.
Still intrigued? We’re so glad!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Write a minimum of four (4) original travel guides monthly for publication on GoAbroad.
- Participate in professional development webinars 1 hour monthly. Topics will vary from voice development, online branding best practices, an introduction to SEO, writing effective pitches, and more.
- All participants will give a final 5-10 minute web presentation.
- Commit 10-12 hours monthly to devote to writing, researching, and editing from January 1, 2016 – June 30, 2016.
- OPTIONAL: Editing Bootcamp Series. Inquire after admission* to program. *Pending
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Ongoing mentorship from professional editors.
- Increased access to external writing opportunities and online journalism courses.
- Personalized shout outs and publicity among our networks of 150,000+ people.
- One LinkedIn recommendation and one written recommendation.
- A formal certificate of completion.
- Given priority for editorial internships in our Philippines or Ireland offices upon course completion.
- Potential to represent GoAbroad.com on the ground with our partners abroad upon completion.
- Exceptional members will be privy to strategic introductions across the field of international education. Get your foot in the door, be strongly considered for cool job op’s, and progress from our “student” to our “colleague!”
- In-depth knowledge of and interest in international travel/education field including study, intern, volunteer, teach, work, TEFL, degree, and high school program opportunities (Note: Travel experience in one or more of these areas is necessary).
- Native English speaker.
- Excellent writing skills and enthusiasm for experiential education.
- Ability to manage time independently, remain self-motivated, meet deadlines, research effectively, and communicate productively despite virtual nature of the position.
- Ability to unerringly track and manage remote projects.
- Familiarity with GoogleDriveLandia, aka Google Drive.
- PREFERRED: A background (or working towards a degree in) one or more of the following areas: Marketing, Journalism, Online or Digital Marketing, Intercultural Studies, Creative Writing, International Education, or a related field.
HOW TO APPLY
- Email writers@GoAbroad.com with:
- Subject Line: NAME – Writer’s Academy 2016 Application
- Your most recent resume/CV as a PDF attachment
- In the body of your email, answer the following questions:
- Does meaningful travel matter? Why or why not?
- Convince us to visit your favorite travel destination.
- What are 3 ways to maximize learning while traveling?
***DEADLINE TO APPLY: DECEMBER 22, 2015***
ABOUT THE WRITER’S ACADEMY
As a key part of the GoAbroad editorial team, Writer’s Academy students will learn how to source, research, write, execute, and market online content, specifically for the international education industry. If you’ve ever wanted a start in the field of online travel writing or international education, this is the perfect opportunity for you to gain experience with a global, well-established, and respected company.
GoAbroad.com is committed to providing the most comprehensive international education and alternative travel resources. Our user-generated reviews, verified program listings, comprehensive interviews, and authoritative articles aim to help future travelers see the world intentionally and thoughtfully. Learn more by visiting our About Us page.